July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
My little sister was just diagnosed with H1N1. It sucks not being there for her :(

To make it worse her and my parents are coming to visit me in 2 weeks. I hope she is better and everyone can make it out... and not get us sick in the process.

I'm sorry to hear that your sister's sick, huggles. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Is the age of majority in Canada not 18? I booked my hotel through hotels.ca, and AFTER confirming it, see that the confirmation page states that check-in requires an adult no younger than 21.

So I've been on hold for the past twenty minutes (toll-free, thank goodness) to see whether or not I have to cancel and then rebook the damn room with my fiance's information instead of my own.

Grr.

Most hotels will let you check in if you are the age of majority provided you have a major credit card that can be pre-authorized for the cost of the room plus taxes and an incidental deposit. Most incidental deposits are $250. Call and speak to the hotel directly, that is probably a standard hotels.ca disclaimer.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
My little sister was just diagnosed with H1N1. It sucks not being there for her :(

To make it worse her and my parents are coming to visit me in 2 weeks. I hope she is better and everyone can make it out... and not get us sick in the process.

Best wishes go out to lil' sis, hopefully she be cured in time for the visit. If she should pass on H1N1 to you be kind to her and remember the family motto: share and share alike. :)

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that your sister's sick, huggles. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Is the age of majority in Canada not 18? I booked my hotel through hotels.ca, and AFTER confirming it, see that the confirmation page states that check-in requires an adult no younger than 21.

So I've been on hold for the past twenty minutes (toll-free, thank goodness) to see whether or not I have to cancel and then rebook the damn room with my fiance's information instead of my own.

Grr.

Thanks Sam!

I booked a hotel room in Niagara Falls when I was 20, even though they had a policy listed on their website not to rent to individuals under 21. When I checked in the age issue never even came up and it wasn't a problem. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you. Is your fiance 21? If they give you a problem maybe try and have the reservation changed to be under his name.

Best wishes go out to lil' sis, hopefully she be cured in time for the visit. If she should pass on H1N1 to you be kind to her and remember the family motto: share and share alike. :)

:lol: I guess it is time for her to be the one to share with me. As the older sister its always been give, give, give! But I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick here... I share clothes and money with her, she shares the swine flu with me.

Timeline

Grr.

Thanks Sam!

I booked a hotel room in Niagara Falls when I was 20, even though they had a policy listed on their website not to rent to individuals under 21. When I checked in the age issue never even came up and it wasn't a problem. Hopefully it won't be an issue for you. Is your fiance 21? If they give you a problem maybe try and have the reservation changed to be under his name.

:lol: I guess it is time for her to be the one to share with me. As the older sister its always been give, give, give! But I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick here... I share clothes and money with her, she shares the swine flu with me.

Swine flu....when you only care to give the best. :lol: Actually scientists have determined that a carrier is need before you get the swine flu. A weaker strain has been isolated at Tripler Medical Center in Hawaii from a female military officer who has only been identified as Pearl. This pre-existing infection is being called Pearls flu after her. So it appears, the new flu is a case of pearls before swine. :bonk::lol:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Thanks Sam!

He is... which is why I wish they would've posted that little clause before I had to confirm it. Now I'm playing phone tag to get them to change the reservation to his name, just to avoid any issues. I figured it'd be a toss up as to whether or not they'd hassle me when we went to check in (especially considering it's paid for, my credit card, with other ID to boot, but hey), but of all things to worry about while in Montreal, I don't want the room to be it, haha.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline

So last week I was a little put off that my cousins wedding happened and I wasn't invited. So yesterday I get an invite in the mail that says: "They've eloped"

:huh:

Doesn't eloping mean keeping it a secret from everyone? Umm most of my family was there. But apparently that's what they're calling it. I am so confused. My mom said that it was just a wedding, and then they went to their apartment afterwards and had a dinner. It wasn't anything fancy so they didn't think I'd want to come up for it.

So now they're having a surprise party for the bride and groom in Toronto in November. I just want an excuse to go home and see my mom so we're going to go. Plus it's at the legion... so it should be fun(ny).

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
So last week I was a little put off that my cousins wedding happened and I wasn't invited. So yesterday I get an invite in the mail that says: "They've eloped"

Doesn't eloping mean keeping it a secret from everyone? Umm most of my family was there. But apparently that's what they're calling it. I am so confused. My mom said that it was just a wedding, and then they went to their apartment afterwards and had a dinner. It wasn't anything fancy so they didn't think I'd want to come up for it.

So now they're having a surprise party for the bride and groom in Toronto in November. I just want an excuse to go home and see my mom so we're going to go. Plus it's at the legion... so it should be fun(ny).

From Wikipedia:

"Today the term "elopement" is colloquially used for any marriage performed in haste or in private or without a public period of engagement; it is also sometimes used for well-attended and elaborately-planned marriages when they occur away from home."

Okay, so it's Wikipedia (not always the best source of info), but according to them, a couple can elope and it doesn't have to mean "running away and getting married in secret." For the record, I always that it meant that, but I guess I'm wrong.

Regardless of whatever they're calling it, if family was invited, you should have been too. Using an excuse like "It wasn't anything fancy so they didn't think I'd want to come up for it" is dumb. Maybe you wouldn't have wanted to come or simply couldn't attend, but they still should've sent the invite.

Timeline

The way my husband talks to his mom bothers the hell out of me.

He's always so soft spoken and talks like he's scared and you can tell he has a hard time articulating himself... I imagine it's even more annoying for her.

"Um well uh well umm... okay... um well uh... um"

JUST SAY IT!!! :lol:

Sorry he's on the phone with her now and I just noticed it.

And so I just asked him what was wrong and he says: "She's always acting mad at me so I don't know how to talk to her!" :lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

At least they didn't send you a card telling you that they consummated the marriage. :lol: Don't worry Nev maybe they'll invite you when they try to conceive a child. :bonk:

IR5

Timeline
Nope they've already done that. They did everything backwards. :lol:

Oops. :lol:

IR5

Huggles...how's ur sister? OMG, I'm so deathly nervous about the H1N1 :(

My son's school is doing a vaccination clinic and i'm so torn! I don't know what to do! I know it's just the flu...but when you hear that 100 kids died...and I know that 100 is nothing compared to the population...and most had underlying issues...i'm so confused....I would just die, if I did vaccinate him, and then they started having side effects etc... I mean, it has not been out long at all...and only tested in 800 people!

Our family and friends are all MD's and DC's....and they are all split on their opinions...which makes it more hard....I wish somoeone would just make the decision for me! :(

ok, the real reason why I came on here to b****.... is it just me??? I get so irritated by people who come on VJ saying 'omg Visa denied...please help' or 'wedding is ruined'...blah blah blah....and it has to do with these clueless dummies who did not do their homework, or who lied, overstayed....came ill prepared etc.... I mean seriously! You have no one but yourself to blame! The most recent post is about 'our wedding is ruined' making it sound like it was POE's fault....ah, ok, you ruined your own wedding for not doing your homework....I don't feel sorry for these people...and i'm even more aggravated by people who overstay or become out of status for years and then scurry to find ways around their idiocy... I do however feel sorry for people for some reason or another, get caught in USCIS red tape and even though they have done things correctly still experience issues.... I don't feel sorry for the dummies...or the even bigger dummies that give them poor advise or advise on how to 'get around it' the not so legal way....

I mean, there are so many of us that have spent countless hours on forms, and months of waiting...and even more money on attorney's when we know we need help, if we don't understand the process....I for one, had no clue in the beginning...I knew this and hired an attorney...I hate people (especially Canadians) who play dumb or are really dumb, and take advantage of our ease of entry into the US...and then come on here with all these issues....

Sorry, but why would you make such life changing decisions, prior to doing your homework? I had to laugh, on the main board, there was one person who posted against the terms and gave 'illegal' advise to another person, and then turns around and posts their own thread, saying that they are being deported cause their app was denied...lol...and then they ask, if they can come to stay in Canada, while they fix this mess.

Why the h*** is Canada viewed as sloppy seconds or a 'safe zone' for getting your foot into the US....GRRRRRR.....how do these people get through in their everyday life??????

ok, i'm done :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

I'm not to sure if I would trust the vaccination either Poprocks. Its a little too new and hasn't really been thoroughly tested on individuals, since they basically rushed it out into the market. My sister is pretty sick, sure, but from what my mom has told me it isn't anything much worse than a regular flu. So far the worst part has been high fevers breaking out every few hours, but with proper medication she has been able to get through them alright. She's always been pretty healthy, so there isn't really any reason to believe she won't make it through alright. If your son is healthy and has a strong immune system I don't think there is a reason to worry too much!

Timeline

I agree. I find it harder and harder to find sympathy. With that particular one they did try to do their homework but got told the wrong thing apparently...though why the wedding is ruined when its being held in Canada I have no idea. It screws their plans up a bit but its not the end of the world.

For the vaccine, for myself I'm getting it because I have chronic Pneumonia. I get it every year, and with moving to Socal as well...I'd rather not risk it. I'm also debating getting the pneumonia vaccine once I move if the dry air down there doesn't help me decrease the frequency that I end up with it.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.