July09Bride

Awaiting Montreal Interview - How to get organized

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all!

I have already started a good-sized notebook with information for the Interview. I have some questions as to how to best organize our information. 1- Should I keep the notebook organized the way I have it now... 2- Change the organization to match the "steps" we've gone through... or 3- Some other way I haven't thought of that is better!!!

Choice #1- Here's how I have it now...

1- Government Notices and Letters

2- Duncan's Information & forms (his individual statement, his individual statement about us, time off from work requests to travel to US, etc.)

3- Krista's (mine) Information & forms (my letters, my tax info, my travel docs, etc.)

4- D & K's Information & forms (combined info - shared travel docs, etc.)

5- Other People's Statements (these are the letters that friends, family, and the pastor wrote on pur behalf for the I-129F)

6- Cards & Activities (cards received for congratulating us for engagement, activities we've done together (engagement class at church), etc.)

7- Various Bills & Receipts (bank statements, receipts from when I'm in Canada & he's here, phone bills, etc.)

8- Wedding Items (details, plans, receipts, etc.)

Choice #2- Organized according to K-1 Process

1- Notices & Approval Forms

2- I-129F Forms

3- I-129F Supporting Docs

4- P3 Forms & Info

5- Additional Photos

6- Items required to bring to Interview (such as Affidavit of Support, my financial support info, etc.)

7- Wedding Items (details, plans, receipts, etc.)

8- Misc.

Choice #3 -- some other way???

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry, I don't have anything valuable to add other than you're both a super cute couple! Good luck with the inter view. :star:

I am sure whatever way you have it will be fine. They usually don't ask for much supporting documentation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow. I must say i admire your organization! It sure beats my "piles of forms on the floor" system. Since a lot of people have been saying they often don't even ask for supporting information, maybe you should put all of that in the back so you aren't flipping through it trying to find the more important forms and documents. Just a thought! But it sounds like you have everything you'd need, plus some! Good luck! Do you have an interview date yet?

Timeline

I bought a 13 expanding file plastic binder, more than enough room to keep everything organized, plus after the Interview, you can use it for the rest of ur immigration journey

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

An expandable folder is best, with tabs at the top so that you have easy access to what's in the slot. I actually had Choice #2, and then had the last folder slot with some of what you have in Choice #1. In that folder I just had about 4 pictures, copies of a few cards/letters/email, a copy of my engagement ring reciept, some boarding passes from trips made after the initial petition. Hmm, maybe a sampling of phone records. That's it. They didn't look at any of my supporting documentation.

When you get to the interivew, they hand you a one page sheet, and ask that you put your documents as described on the sheet in that order. I don't have the sheet anymore, don't know if anyone does? You just hand that stuff in with your passport, go pay for your visa, then come back and wait to be called. Then you have your interview, which for many is like 5 min. :blink: Then they say you have it or what more they need. Done!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We're just going to bring some photos, plane tickets, cruise receipts and maybe i'll add in some happy engagement cards and my engagement ring receipt and that's really about it. He's coming with me, so I figure having him there in person will be more proof than anything. You have more than enough information - most people don't have to show any proof.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
Wow. I must say i admire your organization! It sure beats my "piles of forms on the floor" system. Since a lot of people have been saying they often don't even ask for supporting information, maybe you should put all of that in the back so you aren't flipping through it trying to find the more important forms and documents. Just a thought! But it sounds like you have everything you'd need, plus some! Good luck! Do you have an interview date yet?

I'm a teacher and I have to admit, organizing stuff is fun for me. LOL So, I admit I'm a bit overly "Type A" when it comes to this kind of stuff. Especially considering my amazing Canuck fiance isn't into the organization so much.

No, we don't have a date, yet. I know that the Montreal Consulate received his checklist, etc. yesterday morning at 7:42 (according to the CanadaPost tracking). So, we're just waiting to hear back from them with the date.

As soon as we hear back with a date, I'll be jumping up & down for joy, that's for sure and the world will know the date!!! :yes:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
We're just going to bring some photos, plane tickets, cruise receipts and maybe i'll add in some happy engagement cards and my engagement ring receipt and that's really about it. He's coming with me, so I figure having him there in person will be more proof than anything. You have more than enough information - most people don't have to show any proof.

I'm going with him to the interview, too. I guess if they see him walk in with this big (ummm... huge) binder then they'll see how much we've got. I guess I've got the idea that if the binder is big, then we've got lots of info!!! Thanks for the encouragement that we've got what we need. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
An expandable folder is best, with tabs at the top so that you have easy access to what's in the slot. I actually had Choice #2, and then had the last folder slot with some of what you have in Choice #1. In that folder I just had about 4 pictures, copies of a few cards/letters/email, a copy of my engagement ring reciept, some boarding passes from trips made after the initial petition. Hmm, maybe a sampling of phone records. That's it. They didn't look at any of my supporting documentation.

When you get to the interivew, they hand you a one page sheet, and ask that you put your documents as described on the sheet in that order. I don't have the sheet anymore, don't know if anyone does? You just hand that stuff in with your passport, go pay for your visa, then come back and wait to be called. Then you have your interview, which for many is like 5 min. :blink: Then they say you have it or what more they need. Done!

In the binder, it's all in sheet protectors, so it's real easy to take things in & out. I think I may change the binder around to be more like choice #2... kind of like what you did.

I'm also going to make sure that we have 2 copies of almost everything, just in case.

I've heard we get the photos back. Do we get the letters and such back, too?

Thank you SO much for your information!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Sorry, I don't have anything valuable to add other than you're both a super cute couple! Good luck with the inter view. :star:

I am sure whatever way you have it will be fine. They usually don't ask for much supporting documentation.

Thanks! When we were in Toronto on Monday, we stopped at the CN Tower and took come of pics. There were a couple that turned out really cute. Maybe I'll post one of those, too. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

In the binder, it's all in sheet protectors, so it's real easy to take things in & out. I think I may change the binder around to be more like choice #2... kind of like what you did.

I'm also going to make sure that we have 2 copies of almost everything, just in case.

I've heard we get the photos back. Do we get the letters and such back, too?

Thank you SO much for your information!

They are not going to keep any of your evidence. In majority of times, they DO NOT even ask to see any of it!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
They are not going to keep any of your evidence. In majority of times, they DO NOT even ask to see any of it!

What about the information we supplied with the I-129F... what (if anything) will we get back? All of it? I hope I don't sound like a real summy asking all these questions. I'm just curious and want to know how to best plan for the "big day" once it somes... then again, errr... we still need the date.

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What about the information we supplied with the I-129F... what (if anything) will we get back? All of it? I hope I don't sound like a real summy asking all these questions. I'm just curious and want to know how to best plan for the "big day" once it somes... then again, errr... we still need the date.

I wouldn't count on getting it back, but I know that some people have gotten their photos they sent in back.

It's really a crapshoot with them.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't get anything back that was supplied with the original package sent.... all the pics & evidence were kept on file.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I had a huge packet with me and they honestly looked at like four documents :) If they see you've got all your stuff so organized I bet the interview will just fly by :)

I didn't get anything back from any of the submissions I made, but luckily our lawyer made copies of everything before we submitted it so we just brought those. Good luck!!!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.