Nathan_Neren

Hi! Please help. Police report affect Removing condition?

8 posts in this topic

Hi VJ! I have a question and I hope that you will answer me :-(.My story is that me and my husband fight more often and he does beat me up and i did file a police report because it just didn't happened once.My family and friends told me to leave him but i just can't because i truly love him and i really wanna work our marriage.So now I'm just wondering if it will affect our filing of Removing condition?

• ♥ OUR AOS/ EAD/AP TIMELINE ♥
  • 07/15/08 - AOS/EAD/AP SENT VIA FEDEX
  • 07/18/08 - AOS/EAD/AP CASE RECEIVED BY USCIS
  • 07/22/08 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 RECEIVED
  • 07/29/08 - AOS/EAD BIOMETRICS RECEIVED
  • 08/15/08 - AOS/EAD BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT DONE!
  • 08/18/08 - AOS/EAD TOUCHED!
  • 09/12/08 - AP (APPROVED!)
  • 09/17/08 - EAD (APPROVED!)
  • 09/18/08 - AP TOUCHED!
  • 09/20/08 - EAD RECEIVED!
  • 09/23/08 - AP RECEIVED!
  • 11/17/08 - AOS INTERVIEW (APPROVED! - THANK GOD!)
  • 11/21/08 - AOS (WELCOME LETTER RECEIVED!)
  • 12/01/08 - GREENCARD RECEIVED! THANK YOU GOD!

Hi VJ! I have a question and I hope that you will answer me :-(.My story is that me and my husband fight more often and he does beat me up and i did file a police report because it just didn't happened once.My family and friends told me to leave him but i just can't because i truly love him and i really wanna work our marriage.So now I'm just wondering if it will affect our filing of Removing condition?

It is sad how you report the fact that your husband beats you up in such a "matter of fact" way. Anyway, this is not the place for me to comment on that. The police report may have an effect - it really depends on the circumstances. The main thing is to be as honest and up-front as possible. If this was a relatively "minor" incident that did not involve any "moral turpitude" it may not be a problem.

02-18-2009 - I-751 filed (Removal of Conditions)

02-20-2009 - NOA1

03-20-2009 - Biometrics Appointment

03-23-2009 - Touched

06-22-2009 - Removal of Conditions approved (via USPS)

07-01-2009 - Email from USCIS advising of approval

07-06-2009 - Received 10-yr Permanent Resident Card

02-18-2010 - Eligible to file for naturalization

----------------------------------

Disclaimer! Any advice I give is purely informal, and is not legal advice.

Oh boy. Wow - well I can't sit here and say anything about your situation because that doesn't work (I was in a similar situation, stuck it out for two years before leaving and then filed for removal of conditions by myself - I just got approved).

The answer to your question is: I don't know. Now, with a K1 it would certainly affect getting the visa in the first place, but for removal of conditions I think they look more at you than at him. Though I do know that they background check you both - you more extensively.

Thing is though, hun, my heart goes out to you because Lord knows your situation probably isn't going to get any better. Gosh sweetie, you don't deserve this at all...

One thing I can leave you with is this: if you ever do decide you don't want to be beaten anymore, and find the courage to look at yourself and love yourself enough to leave him, PM me, because as I said above, I've been through it and removed conditions alone. So, it can be done.

All in all, my thoughts are with you. It's so easy to excuse everything a person does because you love them, and think that because one day is better than another that really, they are a "good person" at heart, but I almost got killed several times before I finally decided to leave one day (I just got in my car and drove away...). You can check out my previous posts if you want to see what I put up with before leaving.

I bet you'll get a whole bunch of "leave him" posts on here and I can't blame anyone for trying, but I know it's a lifestyle you sink into, being beaten up, and it'll take some time before you realize that you only have one life, and you really don't want to spend it being under someone else's fists.

Good luck hun - PM me if you need to talk :) *HUGE hugs* to you XXX

england3.gif

3/29/06 - AOS Approved!

3/3/08 - Check cashed for ROC at CSC...

Feb 2009 - Called USCIS to see what the heck was goin' on...

FEB 20th 2009 - Received email - GC on the way!

I am APPROVED for the 10 year PR Card!

367532.png

356980.png

MyBum.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If your husband is beating you, you have to leave there can't be any other option. I'd get out if I was you as soon as possible, I know that's easier said than done. Think about it like this if he's beating his wife the one person in the wold he's supposed to love what won't he do to your children? Men that beat women disgust me, actually anyone that beats anyone else that hasn't a decent chance to defend themselves disgust me! There are plenty of women out there beating their men too am sure!

Like JayJay said gather up the courage and have some confidence in yourself... leave the b@stard :D You're past AOS and I'm sure you won't have much trouble getting past removal of conditions on your own.. with the fact that your husband is a wife beater. If I was you I'd make a plan of escape, find somewhere to live or someone to stay with.. get a restraining order served buy a gun and file for divorce!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
So now I'm just wondering if it will affect our filing of Removing condition?

You will be removing YOUR conditions, not "OUR" conditions. It is YOUR filing. Keep that in your mind first and foremost. The conditions are on you, on your status here in America.

If your husband is beating you, you need to document as best you can all that has happened. Your conditions can be removed without his involvement. When conditions are removed, what weighs heaviest on the decision to remove is whether or not your marriage/relationship was bonafided. So, as long as your relationship was bonafided, you have no worries.

I'm sure others will pipe in with more encouragement.

So sad that you think the love that you have for him will overcome the issues in his past that makes him resort to violence. One sided love will not fix anything and likely the more devoted you are, the more he'll feel enabled to beat you.

Judging from your timeline, you only just got your Conditional green card 2 months ago! and you are already thinking of divorce so soon,be careful, in the eyes of Immigration, this might look and sound as fraud, I am sorry for all your streess you are going through, but think very well before you make any more moves.

You said you filed a restraing order against your husband once before, my question to you is, did u file the order,before or after your got your Green card, cos if you filed before you recieved your Conditional green card, they might have asked you why you didn't present this evidence when you where filing for adjustment ,and then after you got the card you then use it against him.

I hope you have all your thoughts together, many people get their conditions removed sucessfuolly after a divorce and yet many don't, hope you have all your cards right, I am sorry for all you are going through, but be wise, if you plan to divorce him anytime soon, you better have more than a police report to present to immigration, when you file for removals. Good luck to you

Judging from your timeline, you only just got your Conditional green card 2 months ago! and you are already thinking of divorce so soon,be careful, in the eyes of Immigration, this might look and sound as fraud, I am sorry for all your streess you are going through, but think very well before you make any more moves.

You said you filed a restraing order against your husband once before, my question to you is, did u file the order,before or after your got your Green card, cos if you filed before you recieved your Conditional green card, they might have asked you why you didn't present this evidence when you where filing for adjustment ,and then after you got the card you then use it against him.

I hope you have all your thoughts together, many people get their conditions removed sucessfuolly after a divorce and yet many don't, hope you have all your cards right, I am sorry for all you are going through, but be wise, if you plan to divorce him anytime soon, you better have more than a police report to present to immigration, when you file for removals. Good luck to you

Hi! Thank you for your comment but u got it all wrong. I am not thinking of divorcing him and i will never file a divorce because i love him very much and hopefully it will never happen. I filed a police report last Sunday (Feb. 22, 09) because of what happened but i never filed a restraining order or anything like that.I just reported to the police what happened and thats it coz i thought he doesn't love me anymore and that its over but he still loves me and wants me back. He was the one abandoning me so i went to the police coz i have nobody to help me.But its all good now because i am back home with him and we're all good now and hopefully it will continue like this.I got my green card last year Dec. 01,2008 so i am not filing a removing of condition yet but just wondering if it will affect when i do file. Anyway, i do appreciate everyone who replied to my post.Thank you all so very much and Take care and God bless you always!

• ♥ OUR AOS/ EAD/AP TIMELINE ♥
  • 07/15/08 - AOS/EAD/AP SENT VIA FEDEX
  • 07/18/08 - AOS/EAD/AP CASE RECEIVED BY USCIS
  • 07/22/08 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 RECEIVED
  • 07/29/08 - AOS/EAD BIOMETRICS RECEIVED
  • 08/15/08 - AOS/EAD BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT DONE!
  • 08/18/08 - AOS/EAD TOUCHED!
  • 09/12/08 - AP (APPROVED!)
  • 09/17/08 - EAD (APPROVED!)
  • 09/18/08 - AP TOUCHED!
  • 09/20/08 - EAD RECEIVED!
  • 09/23/08 - AP RECEIVED!
  • 11/17/08 - AOS INTERVIEW (APPROVED! - THANK GOD!)
  • 11/21/08 - AOS (WELCOME LETTER RECEIVED!)
  • 12/01/08 - GREENCARD RECEIVED! THANK YOU GOD!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.