suzukiwookie

What's the best (cheap) way to move your stuff?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok so I had a minor panic attack yesterday trying to figure out how to move my stuff.

The original plan was to fly to Queens with my luggage allowance plus extra bags. I'd have 2-3 other boxes that would either be mailed by UPS or brought over in 6 months by relatives when they attend the wedding.

I've now convinced my father to drive with me to NYC if I pay for gas, lodging, and parking. It would probably cost the same as a one-way flight with extra bags anyway... and I can move all my stuff in one shot. Being a great dad he agreed so we're going to drive on the weekend of April 25. No unaccompanied duty-free hassles and i never have to move my stuff again (never say never)!

Lifting Conditions

01-Jun-2011: Filed I-751

06-Jun-2011: I-751 NOA

20-Jul-2011: Biometrics appointment

03-Dec-2011: File Electronic AR-11 to update address

25-Mar-2012: Approved

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hummm, that's some good information trailmix. If you are driving your personal items over, do you need to complete the form 3299? It says its for unaccompanied articles but when it says, "When you come to CBP to enter your goods, you must complete CBP Form 3299..." It seems a little unclear.

But wow, I can't believe Air Canada still lets you have 2 free bags! In my recent travels with Northwest and United it was $15 for your first bag! Nothing is free anymore.

My plan is to bring everything I really need in my fiance's Grand Prix and leave the rest to get later, or just get rid of it. I don't think I really have that much stuff... But we'll see. Although driving from here to Colorado and back will be a trip!

that form is for 'unaccompanied' goods only. The rest you declare while you are there activating your K1... well at least that's how I understand it... but then again... Trailmix made fun of my interpretation of the 3299 last time ( :lol: heehee) so maybe someone else will chime in :)

:hehe:

No, poprocks, you are absolutely right and that form is only for unaccompanied goods. What you will probably want to do huggle - dependant on the amount of stuff you have in your vehicle - is do a brief inventory on just a piece of paper (for stuff going with you). Might save you some hassle if someone points at a bag or box and says 'what's in there'. :)

Good advice! Thank you. I'm not sure how much I have yet but it's not to much. I supose its better safe then sorry! I'll compile a large list that will probably say something like 5 boxes of clothes, 2 boxes of shoes, 3 boxes of stuffed animals and TV and a laptop :lol:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I keep meaning to ask you..... How was your trip down, Wookie?

Well, I ended up packing my car to the gills with my stuff. The back tires were almost touching the wheel wells! And I left the rest behind. The funny thing is that we have so much junk in this house already, that I still don't really have room to put the few things that I brought! lol

The drive was somewhat of an adventure. The coolant temperature sensor just happened to go bad as I left Toronto. Long story short - the car would run fine once it was on, but if I stopped with the engine still warm, it would not work. So we had to wait till the engine cooled down to start it up again... We spent the night in Beckley WV. Had some HORRIBLE food from IHOP. The hotel breakfast was not bad though. Started the car up all nice in the morning and didn't turn it off until 12 hours later when we got home to florida (I even kept the car running at the gas stations when filling up... so I'm going to write a letter to myth busters cause nothing exploded).

So besides the techinical difficulties, the drive was loooooooong, but we couldn't have asked for better weather. Sunny, clear and warm the whole way down. This was March 17th and 18th of 2009.

Now i've been here about 3 weeks and we're getting married this weekend! So we've been running around like chickens without heads. I can't wait to get married on the beach!

I keep meaning to ask you..... How was your trip down, Wookie?

Well, I ended up packing my car to the gills with my stuff. The back tires were almost touching the wheel wells! And I left the rest behind. The funny thing is that we have so much junk in this house already, that I still don't really have room to put the few things that I brought! lol

The drive was somewhat of an adventure. The coolant temperature sensor just happened to go bad as I left Toronto. Long story short - the car would run fine once it was on, but if I stopped with the engine still warm, it would not work. So we had to wait till the engine cooled down to start it up again... We spent the night in Beckley WV. Had some HORRIBLE food from IHOP. The hotel breakfast was not bad though. Started the car up all nice in the morning and didn't turn it off until 12 hours later when we got home to florida (I even kept the car running at the gas stations when filling up... so I'm going to write a letter to myth busters cause nothing exploded).

So besides the techinical difficulties, the drive was loooooooong, but we couldn't have asked for better weather. Sunny, clear and warm the whole way down. This was March 17th and 18th of 2009.

Now i've been here about 3 weeks and we're getting married this weekend! So we've been running around like chickens without heads. I can't wait to get married on the beach!

I had a car the same thing. A Ford Tempo. Very annoying. Had something to do with the vapour barrier and sensors or something. My ex ended up totalling it before it got too bad and we got a newer car. Best wishes for your wedding! (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone had someone bring your belongings to you after you moved?

I'm activating my visa and flying to NJ in early May. Most of my stuff will fit into a couple of suitcases but I'll still have a few boxes (no furniture) that need to follow. Because they're mostly books, and thus really heavy, I'd prefer not to ship them via courier as it will be really expensive. My dad said he'd bring them when he drives down to visit in June. Is this even an option? If so, what would I need to give him to clear customs? (I'm a K1 - I suspect a copy of my activated visa and the 1-94 to start?).

Any help is appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My Dad has made two trips down bringing things for me from the 'family ' home. As he goes through the house he keeps finding things of Mom's that he thinks I would enjoy and just piles them up until he has a car load. He has had no problems with customs at all, except that they definitely want to know my status here (he had copies of my green card) and that I was here legally. Once they were comfortable with that, they had no problems with letting him bring things to me. Your personal belongings can enter the country as unaccompanied goods for up to 10 years after you arrive.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.