suzukiwookie

What's the best (cheap) way to move your stuff?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah I got the letter (both of them). Funny story actually - well, not really funny, but I'm all out of tears.. There was super cold weather here in Toronto in mid-Jan. I finally finished faxing in all the stuff to Honda Canada and American Honda, and I got my letter from American Honda in the mail. I neatly put it in my desk with the other one and thought, "Ok, one less fish to fry!". Then I got in my Civic and hit a runway of black ice on the 401 and wrote off the car :angry: So I had a nice funeral for the Civic, and now I bought a Honda Accord and had to do the letter thing again. Honda must be getting suspicious.. Sending me all those letters.

post-46286-1235026989_thumb.jpg

Oh wow @ the picture. Glad you're not hurt. PITA about the compliance letter, though. :angry:

Yes, I think that's what I might end up doing. It's going to be really sad to leave so much of my junk behind. It took me a long time to collect that much stuff. But I guess that goes along with starting a new life - new stuff! I'm going to pack as much stuff into my car as I can, and then I'm going to put the rest in some large suitcases (purchased for $20 each in Chinatown!), and sending one suitcase with every participant who is flying down to my wedding - yes, it's cheap, I know.. but hey, "I invited you to my wedding man... you're my BEST MAN!" lol I've already practiced my sales pitch.

As for the trip down. I went down once to surprise my giflriend in 2007 driving a very rare 1991 Olds Toronado Trofeo. I broke down in Erie PA in the middle of the night, had to sleep in a Wendy's parking lot until the next morning (didn't want to ruin the surprise) and then got my car fixed at Bill's Atlantic (highly recommended by the way), then was on my way again. Tried to drive straight through and got to Georgia before I started to see things. Yep, actually seeing shadows and patterns. And I've never done drugs before. So I stopped in a truck stop and passed out for a few hours. Then i woke up suddenly and started to drive again, while trying to remember (in my dazed state) where i was going in such a hurry, so that was a questionable 5 minutes. Luckily I had picked the right direction before my memory came back... But needless to say, the trip was hell and I'm dreading doing it again.

This time, I just plan to take it easy with my girl, listen to some tunes, munch on some tim-bits and follow my trusty GPS, but if you have a good route with nice sights and cheap gas, hotels where we won't have to accidentaly sit on a prostitute, please, let me know! tyrred2@hotmail.com.

Having others bring your items with them on the plane is a great idea. Thanks for the heads up about Bill's Atlantic. Always good to know. I've had the hallucination thing while driving, too. It's freaky. Someone I know had one while driving from Vancouver to Toronto. After about 16 hours he began to hallucinate he was driving on the seam of a couch. :o:lol: Thankfully, he pulled over.

I'll send you all the info, SuzukiWookie. I just wanted to let you know I'll put it together and send it next week. I've got visitors arriving in a couple of hours and don't have the time to do it properly at the moment. Sorry about that.

I look forward to the Krikit route.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just moved from CO to CA with a Uhaul towing my car on a transporter. Basically it kind of sucks and if there is a way to avoid towing anything I would do it. We did not fill up the entire truck so we "sold" space to someone on Craiglist, which paid for our gas (however, she had boxes that were literally full of rocks, so I suspect we would've spent way less on gas without her stuff. Another story though:). It took forever—we had to drive really slowly over the mountain passes. going downhill is much scarier and more dangerous than going up. I am so glad it was summertime.

One thing I will say, is that the UHaul price is always negotiable! My husband went to a few different Uhaul places until he found someone willing to negotiate. We got the truck for $100 less, including 00 extra miles, and the transporter for the price of a tow dolly. I think we saved about $300. It helped that it was the middle of the month—not "moving" week.

I might look closer to the Craigslist thing.. but I am leery about trusting someone with my stuff. They could very easily dissapear with my things. What kind of arrangement did you make with the Rock Person to guarentee them that their rocks would not be stolen?

She paid us half before we left and half when we delivered her boxes in LA. We should have looked at what she had before we agreed—she had WAY more stuff than she had said and, of course, it was all rocks....well, almost all rocks.

That was her only real "guarantee" that we would not steal her stuff. I think she paid us around $300. It was bizarre—she was very trusting. But, it turned out she was from the Queen Charlotte Islands in BC. She was very sweet, and gave me a beautiful print by a Haida artist. So, even though I think we used a lot of extra gas due to the rocks, I'm glad we did it.

Our Uhaul was VERY heavy. We had all our stuff, our Honda Ruckus scooter (a BIG scooter), her rocks, and a transporter with my car, which was also packed up.

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Timeline
We just moved from CO to CA with a Uhaul towing my car on a transporter. Basically it kind of sucks and if there is a way to avoid towing anything I would do it. We did not fill up the entire truck so we "sold" space to someone on Craiglist, which paid for our gas (however, she had boxes that were literally full of rocks, so I suspect we would've spent way less on gas without her stuff. Another story though:). It took forever—we had to drive really slowly over the mountain passes. going downhill is much scarier and more dangerous than going up. I am so glad it was summertime.

One thing I will say, is that the UHaul price is always negotiable! My husband went to a few different Uhaul places until he found someone willing to negotiate. We got the truck for $100 less, including 00 extra miles, and the transporter for the price of a tow dolly. I think we saved about $300. It helped that it was the middle of the month—not "moving" week.

I might look closer to the Craigslist thing.. but I am leery about trusting someone with my stuff. They could very easily dissapear with my things. What kind of arrangement did you make with the Rock Person to guarentee them that their rocks would not be stolen?

She paid us half before we left and half when we delivered her boxes in LA. We should have looked at what she had before we agreed—she had WAY more stuff than she had said and, of course, it was all rocks....well, almost all rocks.

That was her only real "guarantee" that we would not steal her stuff. I think she paid us around $300. It was bizarre—she was very trusting. But, it turned out she was from the Queen Charlotte Islands in BC. She was very sweet, and gave me a beautiful print by a Haida artist. So, even though I think we used a lot of extra gas due to the rocks, I'm glad we did it.

Our Uhaul was VERY heavy. We had all our stuff, our Honda Ruckus scooter (a BIG scooter), her rocks, and a transporter with my car, which was also packed up.

It was very nice of you guys to do that for her. But you could have easily taken her $300 AND her precious rocks! lol So I guess there would really be no way to guarantee that the people wouldn't just dissapear with my stuff and my $300. Maybe you just have to meet up with them and see what kind of vibe they give off. So the obvious question is why did she have rocks?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Yikes! I almost missed you! It looks like you're leaving tomorrow so I hope I'm not too late on the info I promised......

My favourite route is through West Virginia and Virginia. So beautiful. Make sure you play John Denver tunes when going through those States. Especially Country Roads. :hehe: I usually gas up on either Peach St in Erie or Edinboro off I-75 S. Depends if I want to hit the Wegmans in Erie or not. If not, then I'll keep on going until I hit Edinboro. Washington, PA is also a good place to stop for gas/shopping/eats. Take US-19 toward Beckley, West Virginia then I-64/I-77 toward Bluefield. Watch your speed on US-19..... there are some speed traps. If you don't go any more than 10 over the limit they pretty much leave you alone in all the States you'll drive through. Oh! If it's still daylight when you go through here, pull into the Gauley River/New River Gorge Visitor's Center near Summersville, West Virginia and take a short hike to see the gorge. It's amazing. An excellent hotel at the halfway point is Marriott Fairfield Inn Wytheville where I stay the night and refuel. If you're back on the road in the early morning be really really cautious if there's fog. It can get quite dangerous coming down out of the mountains.

Head towards Charlotte, NC then take the I-26 toward Charleston, then pick up the I-95 S. There's a good place to stop for gas at Exit 1 in St Marys, GA right at the border of FL and GA. Stop at the Visitors Center in FL for free orange and grapefruit juice! lol

Not quite sure which part of Florida you're headed to but if you're continuing south past Jacksonville, take the I-295 around the city. There's way too much construction and congestion and confusion in Jacksonville to make it a pleasant drive.

I've probably forgotten lots of things, here, so I'll apologize in advance. Have a great trip, Wookie, and stay safe! :)

iagree.gif

Timeline
Yikes! I almost missed you! It looks like you're leaving tomorrow so I hope I'm not too late on the info I promised......

My favourite route is through West Virginia and Virginia. So beautiful. Make sure you play John Denver tunes when going through those States. Especially Country Roads. :hehe: I usually gas up on either Peach St in Erie or Edinboro off I-75 S. Depends if I want to hit the Wegmans in Erie or not. If not, then I'll keep on going until I hit Edinboro. Washington, PA is also a good place to stop for gas/shopping/eats. Take US-19 toward Beckley, West Virginia then I-64/I-77 toward Bluefield. Watch your speed on US-19..... there are some speed traps. If you don't go any more than 10 over the limit they pretty much leave you alone in all the States you'll drive through. Oh! If it's still daylight when you go through here, pull into the Gauley River/New River Gorge Visitor's Center near Summersville, West Virginia and take a short hike to see the gorge. It's amazing. An excellent hotel at the halfway point is Marriott Fairfield Inn Wytheville where I stay the night and refuel. If you're back on the road in the early morning be really really cautious if there's fog. It can get quite dangerous coming down out of the mountains.

Head towards Charlotte, NC then take the I-26 toward Charleston, then pick up the I-95 S. There's a good place to stop for gas at Exit 1 in St Marys, GA right at the border of FL and GA. Stop at the Visitors Center in FL for free orange and grapefruit juice! lol

Not quite sure which part of Florida you're headed to but if you're continuing south past Jacksonville, take the I-295 around the city. There's way too much construction and congestion and confusion in Jacksonville to make it a pleasant drive.

I've probably forgotten lots of things, here, so I'll apologize in advance. Have a great trip, Wookie, and stay safe! :)

Thank you very much Krikit! I appreciate all the info.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone tried sending smaller parcels through Canada Post?

I was thinking of sending my computer case ahead of time... it would be empty (total value only $90).

Anyway, I popped the specs (dimensions and weight) into the Canada Post Calculator and this is what I got back:

Expedited Parcel USA (5 to 6 business days)

Base Price $23.50

Delivery confirmation Included

Fuel surcharge $1.00

Coverage Included

Total $24.50

That's way cheaper than buying a new case (the heaviest part) when I get there. I am just curious if anyone has experience with customs declarations when mailing your own stuff to your state-side destination? Are there going to be extra fees?

Lifting Conditions

01-Jun-2011: Filed I-751

06-Jun-2011: I-751 NOA

20-Jul-2011: Biometrics appointment

03-Dec-2011: File Electronic AR-11 to update address

25-Mar-2012: Approved

Timeline

^^ You're technically not allowed to send anything in advance of yourself.

But if all you're sending is that 1 box, and you send to to your fiance and label it as :used" - I can't see you getting any charges. Most of the time, it is Canada that adds on a customs charge, not the US.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

But if all you're sending is that 1 box, and you send to to your fiance and label it as :used" - I can't see you getting any charges. Most of the time, it is Canada that adds on a customs charge, not the US.

Where did you read up on this stuff? (i.e., how did you know it is not technically allowed?) I've been digging around all evening trying to find out how to use parcel mail to move some of my personal belongings... it has been pretty confusing so far.

Lifting Conditions

01-Jun-2011: Filed I-751

06-Jun-2011: I-751 NOA

20-Jul-2011: Biometrics appointment

03-Dec-2011: File Electronic AR-11 to update address

25-Mar-2012: Approved

Timeline

Where did you read up on this stuff? (i.e., how did you know it is not technically allowed?) I've been digging around all evening trying to find out how to use parcel mail to move some of my personal belongings... it has been pretty confusing so far.

I can't find the thread, but if you go to UPS or FedEx there is a form you fill out when you are sending your own personal belongings with a move. I know that they require your Visa# and I think a copy of you I-94 that you get when you cross to prove that you are already in the US. I know I read it somewhere... perhaps someone else will find it....

My new plan is to fly Air Canada and pay for 2 extra bags (on top of my 2 free ones). I am going to buy some cheap suitcases in China town or Dixie Outlet Mall. On top of the 1-way ticket, each bag is $80 as long as they don't weigh more than 70 pounds. Then when I come back at Thanksgiving, I'm going to take 4 more suitcases. The only downside is that I have to leave some "things" that aren't clothes like all my books, dvds and some trinkets and keepsakes I have collected. But when we have our wedding in Canada in 2010, my in-laws will probably drive down and be able to help me bring some of that stuff... although by then I'm sure I won't miss it!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nothing to stop you from shipping it ahead of time, however it won't be considered under your duty free shipment of personal articles.

Moving to the U.S.: New Resident - free entry of unaccompanied goods, firearms, gift exemption, tools;

Duty Exemptions for Household and Personal Effects - You may import furniture, dishes, linens, libraries, artwork and similar household furnishings for your personal use free of duty. To be eligible for duty-free exemption, the articles must have either been available for your use, or used in a household where you were a resident for one year. The year of use does not need to be continuous, nor does it need to be the year immediately before the date of importation.

Personal and household effects entitled to duty-free entry need not accompany you to the United States; you may have them shipped to your U.S. address at a later time if you choose. Your shipment of personal and/or household goods must be cleared through Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at its first port of arrival, unless you have made arrangements with a foreign freight forwarder to have your effects sent in CBP custody in-bond from the port of arrival to a more convenient port of entry for clearance. (Ask your moving company if they offer this service.)

CBP will not notify you that your goods have arrived. It is essential that the carrier notify you that your goods have arrived in port - otherwise after 15 days, they will be taken to a general order warehouse and may be sold at auction after six months.

When you come to CBP to enter your goods, you must complete CBP Form 3299, "Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles," to give to the CBP officer. If you cannot come to the CBP office yourself, you may designate a friend or relative to represent you in CBP matters. You must give that person a letter addressed to "Officer in Charge of CBP" authorizing that individual to represent you as your agent on a one-time basis to clear your shipment through CBP.

Professional Equipment/Tools of Trade Your professional equipment or tools of trade are entitled to duty-free consideration if they are for your personal use. They do not have to have been in your household for more than 1 year to qualify for this exemption link

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hummm, that's some good information trailmix. If you are driving your personal items over, do you need to complete the form 3299? It says its for unaccompanied articles but when it says, "When you come to CBP to enter your goods, you must complete CBP Form 3299..." It seems a little unclear.

But wow, I can't believe Air Canada still lets you have 2 free bags! In my recent travels with Northwest and United it was $15 for your first bag! Nothing is free anymore.

My plan is to bring everything I really need in my fiance's Grand Prix and leave the rest to get later, or just get rid of it. I don't think I really have that much stuff... But we'll see. Although driving from here to Colorado and back will be a trip!

Hummm, that's some good information trailmix. If you are driving your personal items over, do you need to complete the form 3299? It says its for unaccompanied articles but when it says, "When you come to CBP to enter your goods, you must complete CBP Form 3299..." It seems a little unclear.

But wow, I can't believe Air Canada still lets you have 2 free bags! In my recent travels with Northwest and United it was $15 for your first bag! Nothing is free anymore.

My plan is to bring everything I really need in my fiance's Grand Prix and leave the rest to get later, or just get rid of it. I don't think I really have that much stuff... But we'll see. Although driving from here to Colorado and back will be a trip!

that form is for 'unaccompanied' goods only. The rest you declare while you are there activating your K1... well at least that's how I understand it... but then again... Trailmix made fun of my interpretation of the 3299 last time ( :lol: heehee) so maybe someone else will chime in :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

that form is for 'unaccompanied' goods only. The rest you declare while you are there activating your K1... well at least that's how I understand it... but then again... Trailmix made fun of my interpretation of the 3299 last time ( :lol: heehee) so maybe someone else will chime in :)

:hehe:

No, poprocks, you are absolutely right and that form is only for unaccompanied goods. What you will probably want to do huggle - dependant on the amount of stuff you have in your vehicle - is do a brief inventory on just a piece of paper (for stuff going with you). Might save you some hassle if someone points at a bag or box and says 'what's in there'. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.