silvershadow212

N400 question- Residence & Employment info

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello all,

First of, I want to thank everybody for this wonderful website. I'm in the process of filling out my N400 & I do have a question about Part 6 where it says residence & employment information. It asks for mm/dd/yyyy for both my residence & employmet in the last 5 years. I don't remember the exact day & month of my previous jobs. I've had like 3 jobs in the last 5 years. Same thing with my residence I moved like 3 times. Can't find my old leases. Is it a problem if I can't remember the exact day or month? Thanks for any help. :bonk:

Hello all,

First of, I want to thank everybody for this wonderful website. I'm in the process of filling out my N400 & I do have a question about Part 6 where it says residence & employment information. It asks for mm/dd/yyyy for both my residence & employmet in the last 5 years. I don't remember the exact day & month of my previous jobs. I've had like 3 jobs in the last 5 years. Same thing with my residence I moved like 3 times. Can't find my old leases. Is it a problem if I can't remember the exact day or month? Thanks for any help. :bonk:

Hello Silvershadow,

I do not know how "stringent" they are on those dates. I know they don't want you to be out of the country more than 6 months at a time, so if you're far from that number, I do not think you have to worry. You just have to state that you can't remember the exact dates, and also state "but it was no more than XXX days, or XX weeks."

Some sources that can aid you in your hunt for dates:

Your state's Department of Motor Vehicles - Ask for your driving record. In Virginia, this document will state your previous addresses and when you moved to new addresses (address request changes to the DMV).

Your credit report - I would recommend pulling your credit report from all three agencies (Experian, Transunion, and Equifax)... They have more information than you know about your previous addresses.

Your passport - You should be able to get dates from departure and arrival stamps.

Airline/Travel Websites - If you purchase your tickets on-line, you may be able to retrieve your travel itineraries within the last couple of years. Some web sites keep longer histories.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Goran

Edited by Goran

01/31/2009 - Mailed N-400 to the Texas Lockbox

02/05/2009 - USPS "Priority" mail package delivered to Texas Lockbox

02/05/2009 - Priority Date

02/10/2009 - Notice Date

03/03/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

03/19/2009 - Interview Letter Received

05/21/2009 - Interview Appointment

05/21/2009 - Interview Passed

07/15/2009 - Oath Appointment

07/15/2009 - Oath Completed

07/15/2009 - Submitted Passport Application (Standard 4-6 week service)

08/22/2009 - Received letter stating that I did not sign passport application (not true) and need to re-apply

08/24/2009 - Resubmitted passport application

09/05/2009 - Received Passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hello all,

Hello Silvershadow,

I do not know how "stringent" they are on those dates. I know they don't want you to be out of the country more than 6 months at a time, so if you're far from that number, I do not think you have to worry. You just have to state that you can't remember the exact dates, and also state "but it was no more than XXX days, or XX weeks."

Your state's Department of Motor Vehicles - Ask for your driving record. In Virginia, this document will state your previous addresses and when you moved to new addresses (address request changes to the DMV).

Your credit report - I would recommend pulling your credit report from all three agencies (Experian, Transunion, and Equifax)... They have more information than you know about your previous addresses.

Your passport - You should be able to get dates from departure and arrival stamps.

Airline/Travel Websites - If you purchase your tickets on-line, you may be able to retrieve your travel itineraries within the last couple of years. Some web sites keep longer histories.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Goran

It sure helped to read the I-751 and the N-400 right after the AOS process, but keep those AOS forms on my computer like the I-485 and the G-325A that brought up my wife to date at least until that time with work and addresses that I neither can pronounce nor spell. I just copied and pasted those so everything was consistent. Another case of going back five years, when they really are only interested in the last three with marriage.

Timeline
Hello all,

Hello Silvershadow,

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Goran

Hi Goran,

Thank you for your input. I looked through my old paper & finally found all my leases so now I know when I moved out/in. Same thing w/ my ex employers I used few old pay checks to see around what time I started but not fore sure so I didn't use an exact date. I hope it won't be a problem. Also, I read in this forum that somebody had a problem, DMV registered him to vote but he didn't do it intentionally, that made me nervous too coz I don't remember ever received a vote registration & I've never voted since I'm not a US Citizen Duhhh :bonk: I'm being too paranoid right now. How can I make sure I'm not registered to vote? I don't remember what happened when I had my driver's license 9 years ago.

Thank you all.

Thanks,

Hi Goran,

Thank you for your input. I looked through my old paper & finally found all my leases so now I know when I moved out/in. Same thing w/ my ex employers I used few old pay checks to see around what time I started but not fore sure so I didn't use an exact date. I hope it won't be a problem. Also, I read in this forum that somebody had a problem, DMV registered him to vote but he didn't do it intentionally, that made me nervous too coz I don't remember ever received a vote registration & I've never voted since I'm not a US Citizen Duhhh :bonk: I'm being too paranoid right now. How can I make sure I'm not registered to vote? I don't remember what happened when I had my driver's license 9 years ago.

Thank you all.

Thanks,

Hello again, Silvershadow,

I agree that it certainly doesn't hurt to be cautious in this process and make sure all the "ducks" are lined up in a row. Less chance of having to explain stuff once your interview comes around. The less question marks you present to the USCIS, the less questions they will have for you :innocent:

As for your question about whether you're registered to vote. Here in Virginia, we can go to our state's "State Board of Elections" website. They have a section on their website called "Voter Registration Status," where we can provide some personal information and see whether one is registered. I'm sure your state has something similar.

Cheers,

Goran

01/31/2009 - Mailed N-400 to the Texas Lockbox

02/05/2009 - USPS "Priority" mail package delivered to Texas Lockbox

02/05/2009 - Priority Date

02/10/2009 - Notice Date

03/03/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

03/19/2009 - Interview Letter Received

05/21/2009 - Interview Appointment

05/21/2009 - Interview Passed

07/15/2009 - Oath Appointment

07/15/2009 - Oath Completed

07/15/2009 - Submitted Passport Application (Standard 4-6 week service)

08/22/2009 - Received letter stating that I did not sign passport application (not true) and need to re-apply

08/24/2009 - Resubmitted passport application

09/05/2009 - Received Passport

Timeline
Hi Goran,

Thank you all.

Thanks,

Hello again, Silvershadow,

I agree that it certainly doesn't hurt to be cautious in this process and make sure all the "ducks" are lined up in a row. Less chance of having to explain stuff once your interview comes around. The less question marks you present to the USCIS, the less questions they will have for you :innocent:

As for your question about whether you're registered to vote. Here in Virginia, we can go to our state's "State Board of Elections" website. They have a section on their website called "Voter Registration Status," where we can provide some personal information and see whether one is registered. I'm sure your state has something similar.

Cheers,

Goran

Thanks Goran I will try to google that but I'm sure I've never registered to vote but again I'm trying to make sure I have not coz I don't remember what happened 9 years ago when I had my driver's license.

Thank you buddy!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.