Stella08

German "Umlaut" in name

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

The closer I get to the interview, the more nervous I get. :unsure:

My maiden name contains a German "umlaut" which consists of an "u with two dots on top of it". An alternative way to write this letter is to use "ue". Since I filled in the N-400 on my American computer which doesn't have the German letters, I replaced the "u with two dots" with "ue" when it asked for "other names used". Now I realized that my birth certificate, marriage certificate and passport all list German style of the letter in my maiden name. Will I have problems when the IO looks at my papers? Will they request another name check? I doubt that they know that an "u with two dots" and "ue" are the same thing. :unsure:

Filed: Country: Austria
Timeline

Hi,

I don't think you'll have any problems - interviewers have seen names with "umlaut" before, I'm pretty sure.

My mother's maiden name had an umlaut, too and I also simply wrote "ue" instead of "u with dots".

Had no issues about that.

Good luck with your naturalization! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi,

I don't think you'll have any problems - interviewers have seen names with "umlaut" before, I'm pretty sure.

My mother's maiden name had an umlaut, too and I also simply wrote "ue" instead of "u with dots".

Had no issues about that.

Good luck with your naturalization! :)

I hope you're right. Thank you for your input, now I feel a little better.

Anybody else who has experience with this? I remember that, when I filed for my greencard 10 years ago, there was a box where you could write your name if it was written with other letters than the letters they use in the English language. I wish they had a box like that on the N-400, too. I wonder what they do with people who are from Asia, Russia etc. :unsure:

I don't think you will have the problem.

When USCIS run FBI namecheck, FBI is trying to use various form of misspelling of your name for checking.

Even they try to switch firstname, lastname for any possible combination.

The name you fill out on N400 by computer is English name.

So you can just write your name printed in your passport.

Other forms such as I-130, DS-230 has another feild for foreign name writing, but N400 doesn't have dedicated for foreign name writing.

So I didn't care much for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.