ardilla

AOS from F1 - OPT: how to avoid interrupting this?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I just joined this NG a bit ago. This is a great community! Thank you for existing :)

My SO is from Peru (Lima), I'm a USC. We are planning to do AOS in early September after our wedding. He is currently working FT as he came to the US as an F1 four years ago and is now using his OPT.

Questions:

1. We're sending the AOS, EAD, and AP and other docs in early September. His OPT expires in early January '07. We really want to avoid having him lose his job just because he is waiting for OPT....to make sure we've got everything ready, should we (and can we) have him do his medical now? This needs to be sent with the AOS paperwork, right?

2. Has anyone done Medicals in Minneapolis/St Paul? Which CS did you use? How long did it take you to get an appointment? Did you get the immunizations there or at the county public health department?

3. Any clue on how long it is taking for EADs to be issued for folks who already have one and need to keep working (eg for OPT reasons?)? Or does INS not take this into account? ;)

Thanks everyone!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi!

Using the Civil Surgeons Locator at the USCIS website, (http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/exec/cs/index.asp) I found these 2 CS for 55104:

Dr. Alfonso Morales, Central Medical Clinic

Central Medical Building, 393 North Dunlap Street, Suite 233

St. Paul, MN 55104

Tel: (651)644-6002

Dr. Yohannes Gebre, Midway Family Clinic

1821 University Avenue, Suite S-206

St. Paul, MN 55104

Tel: (651)644-2273

I went to Dr. Gebre, whom I think is very nice, and his rates are not high compared to what other people have commented. I would use the locator tool and find also other close to where you live in the Twin Cities, and make phone calls to ask for their rates.

Regarding being able to have continious work, giving that he is working on his OPT now, I do not have a clue of how this works, from F-1 to AOS-LPR. I might be concerned on his status changing also while being an adjustment applicant, and then his OPT EAD would not be valid?! hopefuly not! if this is not the case, and you guys send the application now, there is a good chance that he gets at least the EAD before his OPT ends, although there is cases where it has been longer!

I hope that other people around here can give you more help than I can!

GOOD LUCK!

Saludos!

David

Erin (MN - U.S.A.!) and David (Venezuela!)
--------------------
06 Jul 2005 I129F Sent to the NSC
08 Jul 2005 I129F Received by the NSC
15 Sep 2005 NOA2!!!! by Email, NOA2 date 14 Sep 2005!!!!
20 Dic 2005 We both go to the interview at the Consulate!
20 Dic 2005 VISA APPROVED!!!!
31 Dic 2005 Ticket bought online to leave on March 13th!!!!
13 Mar 2006 Arrived at MSP with mi love!
18 Mar 2006 Civil Wedding! we are married!
15 Jul 2006 Church Wedding! at St. Frances Cabrini, Minneapolis, MN.
21 Aug 2006 AOS Interview! APPROVED!!!!! Welcome letter email received.
24 Aug 2006 Welcome Letter received. Card ordered email received.
29 Aug 2006 Email with approval letter (meaning PR Card!) mailed!
01 Sep 2006 PR Card Received!!!!!!! :D :D :D
23 May 2008 Lifting Conditions Sent
30 May 2008 Lifting Conditions NOA date
14 Oct 2008 PR Card Received!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D done for a while!!!!

----------

Naturalized and unfortunately divorced :( but life goes on

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

My husband is also adjusting from F-1 OPT (which expired two weeks ago, boo). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like USCIS gives a preference for this (although it's been just over a month for us, so I'll let you know - but I highly doubt it, since it's not a renewal EAD and just gets thrown in with the other c9s). I'm sorry!

If you're getting married in September, you should be okay in terms of the 90-day-max waiting period for EAD (as long as you apply as soon as you can after the wedding). That takes you to early December, doesn't it? You'll be fine!

I would get everything ready now, though, just so you have it. I had all the forms filled out before our wedding!

4.21.06 - Married!

5.2.06 - Mailed AOS and EAD to Chicago

5.4.06 - Application arrives in lockbox

5.9.06 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD

5.11.06 - NOA 1 rec'd!

5.17.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.19.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.20.06 - Biometrics notice for AOS and EAD

5.30.06 - Biometrics!

6.1.06 - Touched (AOS)

6.3.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

6.26.06 - Interview notice!!! (Aug. 9 at 10 a.m.)

7.6.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.8.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.10.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.11.06 - EAD approval notice!!!

7.15.06 - EAD card rec'd!

8.9.06 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

sawavingflag.gifuswavingflag.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.