jennleah72

How did everyone meet their american/canadian significant others?

145 posts in this topic

Can someone explain the premise of WoW to me? I don't get it.... I guess I could just wikipedia it... I'm really intrigued though... seems like a cool game to be a part of.

Basically its a fantasy world with 2 sides (factions), horde and alliance. They fight against each other a lot (you'll notice the Horde vs Alliance already lol). There are races on each side, and certain classes that each can be. You team up with other people on your faction to either 1) kill the other faction or 2) PvE (player vs enemy) where you kill bosses to get better gear...the better gear the better you preform. Most people do these teams as guilds...In said guilds you have a list of all the people in your guild, you can group with them to do different stuff, talk to them either in guild, in a party (group) or in private messages. The goal no matter if you pick 1 or 2 is to be the best!!! Have the best gear, kill the most people, die the least etc. and to make friends.

Theres a lot of lore behind it too that I didnt really get into. I picked a Night Elf druid (alliance) because she was pretty and not a cow... only one race on each side can be a druid. I wanted to turn into a kitty (one of the druid abilities) and NE's also get cats as mounts....I like kitties.

haha omg that could have been me typing that. i picked druids cause i wanted a pretty one and cause i love kitties too :rofl:

I appreciate the posts explaining the games a bit, and I see lots of positive stories. As a parent of a teenager, I spent a fair amount of time limiting his gaming, and it is really nice to hear from some happy and well adjusted (I assume) folks.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Can someone explain the premise of WoW to me? I don't get it.... I guess I could just wikipedia it... I'm really intrigued though... seems like a cool game to be a part of.

Basically its a fantasy world with 2 sides (factions), horde and alliance. They fight against each other a lot (you'll notice the Horde vs Alliance already lol). There are races on each side, and certain classes that each can be. You team up with other people on your faction to either 1) kill the other faction or 2) PvE (player vs enemy) where you kill bosses to get better gear...the better gear the better you preform. Most people do these teams as guilds...In said guilds you have a list of all the people in your guild, you can group with them to do different stuff, talk to them either in guild, in a party (group) or in private messages. The goal no matter if you pick 1 or 2 is to be the best!!! Have the best gear, kill the most people, die the least etc. and to make friends.

Theres a lot of lore behind it too that I didnt really get into. I picked a Night Elf druid (alliance) because she was pretty and not a cow... only one race on each side can be a druid. I wanted to turn into a kitty (one of the druid abilities) and NE's also get cats as mounts....I like kitties.

haha omg that could have been me typing that. i picked druids cause i wanted a pretty one and cause i love kitties too :rofl:

Its like we are the same person jen!

And brad - definately limit them though its a good game that teaches team work....because MMO's ate my life in college and were the reason I did so poorly in year 1...cuz I played instead of doing homework ><

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Gene and I met in an AT&T chatroom in the fall of 2001. I had been chatting for a few years and was using that site. Gene had just purchased a personal computer and had AT&T as a provider and the chatroom was on his homepage so he went into it, wondering what it was all about. We moved very quickly to yahoo messenger and spent most of our time after that chatting there. We met in person after chatting and phonecalls for 18 months.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I know this is a tad off topic, but... I see that you got approved and at your interview too... did you also have alot of out of game "proof". Thats one thing we dont really have alot of. Im just hoping its not going to be a problem sad.gif

Bo and I actually took a long-term break from the game for most of last year. My ex started shite with some people, and I had no use for the drama. A lot of the old guildies are gone now, but we play with a bunch of ppl that Bo works with here in NC. lol they think it's cool when I go into the store now and they can put a face with the toon!

Trailmix - Horde or Ally?

Alliance of course! :hehe:

......I call Boourns...

For the Horde :P

LOL I second That ! :devil:

Woot!

Yessum, Flew down last Tuesday and am settling in quite nicely :) 20 celcius here in Raleigh today!!

To answer your question Amazon, I had taken proof with me - newer boarding passes, pics, phone bills etc, but honestly, the lad didn't ask for anything from me. He asked quite a few questions, but just simple ones, and he had my pics I had sent with my original petition and asked me when and where they were taken, but did not ask for any NEW evidence. Take what you have, of course, but don't fret over it too badly :)

Hope that helps :D

Yes Thank you :)

I'm still waiting for the packet 3 :blink: , if it doesnt come soon, I guess I will have to contact them to find out whats going on. :angry:

eNVl.gif R8nu.gif KHYe.gif 2Gxj.gif QAfc.gif vIpQ.gif yjoB.gif

Its like we are the same person jen!

And brad - definately limit them though its a good game that teaches team work....because MMO's ate my life in college and were the reason I did so poorly in year 1...cuz I played instead of doing homework ><

Thanks. I just couldn't understand how he could play WoW, Star Wars, and a third game (I can't remember the name) all at once. The all-nighters had to end. Period. But it looks like that many posters here did/do the same without any permanent damage. :yes:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

no damage that you can see anyway :lol: I love the games for the ability to meet people all over the world, and you really do have to learn to work with other people to be able to succeed...the all nighters were killing me though. Now I can barely make it past 1:30 before I completely crash...a full time job will do that to you. No more 5am bed times while having to be up at 7 for school :lol:

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Hmmmm... I play horde (Belf, Tauren) and alliance (Nelf, human). I raid horde-side and RP alliance side. Just like in real life (I'm Canadian and Bermudian), I just can't seem to settle on one thing. In fact, I seem to stick to hybrid classes too. Maybe I'm just confused...

~ Catheirne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just wanted to ask everyone how they met :)

And I guess I should start off with mine :D

My Fiance and I met on the online game World of Warcraft in the summer of 2007 in true nerd fashion :D We then talked online for awhile and he flew up in May 2008 to meet me and we recently decided to apply for the I-129F visa which we will be doing very shortly :) I am from Alberta, and he is from Washington state.

To funny, my fiance and I met online playing WOW as well. He is a NE Warrios and I am a Shaman. We weren't previosuly in the same guild but since WOLTK we are now. We met one day when my friend was running my alt through ZF and he tells me there is this sorry looking hunter standing at the entrace do you mind if we take him along? I said sure thing, turns out this sorry hunter was just an alt too and we have hit it off everyday since! Glad to know we aren't the only online nerds out there! Now the question is, date night does it consist of 25 man naxx and malygos?!?! Because ours sure does LOL!

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-12-16

CHECK CASHED: 2008-12-18

TOUCHED: 2008-12-23

I-129F RFE(s) : NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-04-06

NVC Left : 2009-04-13

Consulate Received : 2009-04-15

Packet 3 Mailed: 2009-04-17

Packet 3 Received : 2009-04-22

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-04-23

Packet 3 Received in Montreal: 2009-04-27

Medical : 2009-04-27

Packet 4 Received : 2009-06-08

Interview Date : 2009-07-08 Approved!

Visa Received : 2009-07-10

US Entry : 2009-07-16

Marriage : 2009-07-24

Comments : Church Wedding and Celebration on November 14, 2009.

Having civil wedding because need AP for trip to Ireland planned December 2009, couldn't risk not being able to go so civil wedding before the church wedding.

AOS, EAD and AP

CIS Office : Dover DE

Date Filed : 2009-07-29

Check Cashed: 2009-08-07

NOA Date : 2009-08-06

RFE(s) :

Received Bio Appt Notice: 2009-08-20

Bio. Appt. : 2009-08-31

AOS Transfer** : 2009-08-24

Interview Date : NONE

AP/EAD Approved: 2009-09-21

AOS Approved:2009-10-02

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My Fiance and I met on the online game World of Warcraft in the summer of 2007 in true nerd fashion :D We then talked online for awhile and he flew up in May 2008 to meet me and we recently decided to apply for the I-129F visa which we will be doing very shortly :) I am from Alberta, and he is from Washington state.

To funny, my fiance and I met online playing WOW as well. He is a NE Warrios and I am a Shaman. We weren't previosuly in the same guild but since WOLTK we are now. We met one day when my friend was running my alt through ZF and he tells me there is this sorry looking hunter standing at the entrace do you mind if we take him along? I said sure thing, turns out this sorry hunter was just an alt too and we have hit it off everyday since! Glad to know we aren't the only online nerds out there! Now the question is, date night does it consist of 25 man naxx and malygos?!?! Because ours sure does LOL!

ROFL!

Ours did for the time between WOTLK and my move here last week!! Besides, it was a good way for me to meet his co-workers :P

Hmmmm... I play horde (Belf, Tauren) and alliance (Nelf, human). I raid horde-side and RP alliance side. Just like in real life (I'm Canadian and Bermudian), I just can't seem to settle on one thing. In fact, I seem to stick to hybrid classes too. Maybe I'm just confused...

~ Catheirne

Just means you're special Cat :D *and GoGo BE's :) I have other alts, but my main will always be my BE hunter

**coughforthehordecough*

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Mel and I met while playing an MMO (Not WoW). It was called ROSE, similar basic premise, howerver much more primitive graphics and more "Anime" themed. We were friends for about two years. We talked all the time and would email each other at least a dozen times each day while at work. The first time we talked, was on a Ventrillo server..... and I was a huge a$$hole. I believe I made fun of her accent. It took me like 8 months more of MSN and emails to get her to talk to me again on Ventrillo.

Anyways, we were both in relationships so the thought of romance never crossed either of our minds. First my relationship disintegrated, and then hers did. We helped each other through it and then, I started to subconcsiously flirt with her. We started talking on the phone a lot more, and then in the beginning of March 2007, we decided that we should meet in person. So, Mel booked a plane ticket to come see me...... in June. After about a week, we both were far to impatient to wait that long, so I booked a ticket to go up to London, ON at the end of April. It was love at first site. I do have to admit, the long distance thing is really hard to do, but It's well worth it in my case. We play WoW now as a means to spend time with each other. I'm a gnome warlock, and she's a shamen.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Mel and I met while playing an MMO (Not WoW). It was called ROSE, similar basic premise, howerver much more primitive graphics and more "Anime" themed. We were friends for about two years. We talked all the time and would email each other at least a dozen times each day while at work. The first time we talked, was on a Ventrillo server..... and I was a huge a$$hole. I believe I made fun of her accent. It took me like 8 months more of MSN and emails to get her to talk to me again on Ventrillo.

Anyways, we were both in relationships so the thought of romance never crossed either of our minds. First my relationship disintegrated, and then hers did. We helped each other through it and then, I started to subconcsiously flirt with her. We started talking on the phone a lot more, and then in the beginning of March 2007, we decided that we should meet in person. So, Mel booked a plane ticket to come see me...... in June. After about a week, we both were far to impatient to wait that long, so I booked a ticket to go up to London, ON at the end of April. It was love at first site. I do have to admit, the long distance thing is really hard to do, but It's well worth it in my case. We play WoW now as a means to spend time with each other. I'm a gnome warlock, and she's a shamen.

....On my server, Gnomes are KOS :D hehe, my brother is a gnome Lock and I think it's kinda cute how little they are...it's their rogues that make me cranky :P

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Timeline

Lol...for sure! We raid together, do heroics together. Neither of us groups without the other (hes a tank, I'm a healer). The great part is my whole family minus my mom plays. So we have my sisters shammy for DPS, my dad's hunter just turned 80 so we will have that too. Makes for a nice little bonding time. Thats how I introduced Wes to my dad...got him to help run dad through some lowbie stuff :D

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
....On my server, Gnomes are KOS :D hehe, my brother is a gnome Lock and I think it's kinda cute how little they are...it's their rogues that make me cranky :P

Thats just cause gnomes pwn so hard :P

There are 2 types I could never EVER make. First, a male blood elf just looks and sounds gay. Second, a female tauren..... well, they just look like chewbacca.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thats just cause gnomes pwn so hard :P

There are 2 types I could never EVER make. First, a male blood elf just looks and sounds gay. Second, a female tauren..... well, they just look like chewbacca.

I'm just so glad my wife doesn't play and never plays any type of game. I know couples that do actually do everything in game together, but I just couldn't do that. My best friend since the 80's who got me into the game is on the same server and we don't really ever group (except stupid things) and aren't even in the same guild. I just think there would be too much problems having your 'other' doing the same stuff all the time. Guess it works for others.

Speaking of races not to be played. I'd have to say I'd never touch a Night Elf. The women look too much like Tammy Faye Bakker with their overly caked on make up ewwwwww and the men look like the transvesitite versions of them. The other is a human. To me that has to be the most boringest and dullest race to exist.

I've only rolled 1 alliance and that's a gnome rouge on my other friends server since he was already an ally there. That was it, got to level 22 and haven't gone back...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Another indirect online meeting... What seems like forever ago I got into astronomy and fell in with a fellow in Ontario who knew these other guys in Ontario and some other people in the US and some started writing software for a particular model of popular GOTO scope. Next thing you know some of the guys were working for the company and we formed a beta test team. So Mike and I were on the beta team together and only communicated within the group. We finally met at an astro conference with the gang but were both married at the time. No spark. We were just there with our friends. That year I filed for divorce and my life moved forward and there wasn't a lot of time for astronomy. But I went to the same conference the following year and ran into him. This time he was separated (and yeah, there's that year thing in Canada) but I was hanging out with a good friend of mine and we didn't spend much time together. He just asked if he could have something shipped to my house since it'd cost an arm and a leg to go to Canada so I said sure, no prob. A few months later these massive boxes of astro stuff arrive and a little later he showed up on my doorstep. OMG. I had noticed he was cute before but somehow I failed to notice that he was gorgeous. I didn't hide the "OMG!" look at all. He had grown a beard since I had seen him last and I just had to touch it the moment I opened the door to let him in. He said when I put my hand on his cheek is when he knew.

I was a harder sell. Good looks will only get you so far with me. B) He drove the 6+ hours to see me several times before I reciprocated and then we started seeing more and more of one another and... marriage, immigration and still waiting for him to activate his visa... approx date April 1st. Is that too funny or what??

We've done so little astronomy since we got together it is rather sad. That's one of the things we hope to put right once we're living together full-time.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.