jennleah72

How did everyone meet their american/canadian significant others?

145 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We online in a Yahoo chatroom called 'Canadian teen chat'... haha

We chatted online for a couple of years first, just stayed online friends, then moved it to the phone for 2 years and that after 4 years of being amazing friends we met in person when I went to NYC for a weekend trip.

We then decided since we were both only 19 at the time that we wanted to date long distance... we both wanted to finish University and start out careers and save craploads of money before anyone did any moving, and we were both just too young to pick up and leave our lives. We knew that we belonged together and knew that we had to do it right!

So fast forward 6 years, I finished University, went to grad school and have now been working in my field for 2 years... and timing has worked out perfectly! We have a crapload of money saved and I should be able to seamlessly continue my career (if the recession doesn't last too much longer).

Yay for meeting online!

Edited by SapphireDreams

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love reading about everyone's stories :)

We also met via the Internet. I was bored and wanted email pen pals in different countries, so I looked through some profiles on a site a friend had introduced me to when I was in grad. school. I had actually been thinking I wanted to write to someone who lived in the extreme north (just to learn about life in a far different environment) and was honestly looking for somewhere like Nunavut ... but the profiles didn't list where specifically in Canada the person was from. So, I wrote to a few people, guys and girls. One guy did live above the Arctic Circle. The first couple emails were interesting, but it soon became apparent that he was looking for a wife ASAP (and I had no desire to get into a relationship, as I had just gotten out of one, nor a desire to move out of the US).

So, it ended up that the emails I enjoyed the most were from a guy living in Vancouver. We kept writing, then, after I had a few drinks one night, I suggested talking on the phone just to hear each other's accents. We kept saying during the first conversation, whoa this is weird, we're never doing this again. Well, after that night, we spoke just about daily for 14 months when we finally admitted there was a connection and decided to meet in person to see if we clicked. So, he came to Georgia and then we took a road trip for about a month, up the East Coast, to CT for the holidays, then NH to interview for my current job, then back to Georgia. After that, we met up in Seattle. We were very much in love, but he had said all along, oh I will never propose until we live together for 6 months to make sure it is right (not sure how we expected to be able to do that, we were very clueless about being able to live in other countries). Well, my first visit to Vancouver, the morning after I arrived, he turned to me and said, when are we going to get engaged? I think we should get engaged soon. I responded, sure why not (how romantic LOL). We ended up going to the Metrotown mall that day and decided to browse jewelry stores just to see what rings were out there, having NO plans to buy anything. Well, we came across the perfect ring (tanzanite center stone with diamonds), so we ended up in a dimly lit corridor of the mall going, Should we buy the ring? It's perfect! What should we do? Ended up getting the ring and here we are, married for nearly 2 years (on Valentine's Day!).

Hubby later told me that his purpose for posting a profile on the penpal site was to meet people in other countries so he would have a couch to sleep on when he traveled. He never wanted to write to an American, because he was looking to travel to other countries.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

first I want to say "for the HORDE!*

my hubby and I first met playing EQ but we didn't really date or anything until after the SOE fan faire in Las Vegas back in '03 :)

guess what happened in Vegas - didn't stay in Vegas- haha

we don't play EQ anymore - but we both play wow now :)

Date of I-751 = 03/05/2011

NOA Date = 3/08/2011

Biometrics = 04/11/2011

Approved = 09/08/2011

Timeline

It is so nice to read how everyone met!

I'm one of the few who did not meet online (someone else mentioned not knowing what WOW is besides that it is a game.... I'm there with you!)

I met my husband at college (how typical, right? :D ). A mututal friend of ours introduced us because she thought he looked just like Prince William. I did not (and still don't) but I did think he was cute! We went out on our first date 2 weeks later and have been together ever since. That was Fall 2004.

2004-09-03 : Met at college in USA and went on first date!

2008-01-02 : Married in Canada.

2008-01-07 : DH returns to USA.

2008-04-20 : Finally received marriage certificate from the province and filed 1-130 Petition.

2008-07-08 : I-130 Approved!

2008-09-15 : Received DS-230 and I-864.

2008-10-14: Mailed DS-230 and I-864

2008-10-30: DS-230 and I-864 received by NVC

2008-11-04: RFE

2008-11-18: Overnighted missing documents to NVC

2008-11-26: Case Complete at NVC!!

2008-03-02: Medical in Toronto

2009-03-23: Interview! Approved!

2009-04-04: The big move. POE: Blue Water Bridge. All went well.

2009-04-16: SSN arrives in the mail.

2009-04-24: PR card arrives in the mail.

Timeline
guess what happened in Vegas - didn't stay in Vegas- haha

:lol:

2004-09-03 : Met at college in USA and went on first date!

2008-01-02 : Married in Canada.

2008-01-07 : DH returns to USA.

2008-04-20 : Finally received marriage certificate from the province and filed 1-130 Petition.

2008-07-08 : I-130 Approved!

2008-09-15 : Received DS-230 and I-864.

2008-10-14: Mailed DS-230 and I-864

2008-10-30: DS-230 and I-864 received by NVC

2008-11-04: RFE

2008-11-18: Overnighted missing documents to NVC

2008-11-26: Case Complete at NVC!!

2008-03-02: Medical in Toronto

2009-03-23: Interview! Approved!

2009-04-04: The big move. POE: Blue Water Bridge. All went well.

2009-04-16: SSN arrives in the mail.

2009-04-24: PR card arrives in the mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
My Fiance and I met on the online game World of Warcraft in the summer of 2007 in true nerd fashion :D

I can see it now - night elf priest meets orc hunter - true love! :wow::rofl:

Timeline
Just wanted to ask everyone how they met :)

And I guess I should start off with mine :D

My Fiance and I met on the online game World of Warcraft in the summer of 2007 in true nerd fashion :D We then talked online for awhile and he flew up in May 2008 to meet me and we recently decided to apply for the I-129F visa which we will be doing very shortly :) I am from Alberta, and he is from Washington state.

OMG ME TOO!! , only differences are it was the spring of 2007 and I flew down there in April 2008. And I am in Ontario.. other than that.... OHHH SNAP!..LOL :thumbs::D

eNVl.gif R8nu.gif KHYe.gif 2Gxj.gif QAfc.gif vIpQ.gif yjoB.gif

Timeline
When I went to my interview in Montreal, the lad that interviewed me asked how we met, and I told him an online game. He asked which one, and when I told him he said "you know, I think I'm going to start a running tally - you must be the 20 person this year to have met in that game....Maybe I should get on there to meet a lovely lady!" :yes:

I know this is a tad off topic, but... I see that you got approved and at your interview too... did you also have alot of out of game "proof". Thats one thing we dont really have alot of. Im just hoping its not going to be a problem :(

Timeline
Bo and I actually took a long-term break from the game for most of last year. My ex started shite with some people, and I had no use for the drama. A lot of the old guildies are gone now, but we play with a bunch of ppl that Bo works with here in NC. lol they think it's cool when I go into the store now and they can put a face with the toon!

Trailmix - Horde or Ally?

Alliance of course! :hehe:

......I call Boourns...

For the Horde :P

LOL I second That ! :devil:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I know this is a tad off topic, but... I see that you got approved and at your interview too... did you also have alot of out of game "proof". Thats one thing we dont really have alot of. Im just hoping its not going to be a problem sad.gif

Bo and I actually took a long-term break from the game for most of last year. My ex started shite with some people, and I had no use for the drama. A lot of the old guildies are gone now, but we play with a bunch of ppl that Bo works with here in NC. lol they think it's cool when I go into the store now and they can put a face with the toon!

Trailmix - Horde or Ally?

Alliance of course! :hehe:

......I call Boourns...

For the Horde :P

LOL I second That ! :devil:

Woot!

Yessum, Flew down last Tuesday and am settling in quite nicely :) 20 celcius here in Raleigh today!!

To answer your question Amazon, I had taken proof with me - newer boarding passes, pics, phone bills etc, but honestly, the lad didn't ask for anything from me. He asked quite a few questions, but just simple ones, and he had my pics I had sent with my original petition and asked me when and where they were taken, but did not ask for any NEW evidence. Take what you have, of course, but don't fret over it too badly :)

Hope that helps :D

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just wanted to ask everyone how they met :)

And I guess I should start off with mine :D

My Fiance and I met on the online game World of Warcraft in the summer of 2007 in true nerd fashion :D We then talked online for awhile and he flew up in May 2008 to meet me and we recently decided to apply for the I-129F visa which we will be doing very shortly :) I am from Alberta, and he is from Washington state.

OMG ME TOO!! , only differences are it was the spring of 2007 and I flew down there in April 2008. And I am in Ontario.. other than that.... OHHH SNAP!..LOL :thumbs::D

So I guess I followed in your footsteps. Met in aug 2008, flew down n may 2008....also from Ontario :lol: CREEPY! (I just told wes how similar our timelines are...you me and jenn's, he thinks its awesome!)

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

My husband and I met on EHarmony in Feb 2006, we were lucky that we were only 1/2 hour from each other because we are both close to the U.S. border. We were married in June 2007 and I was able to move here in July 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My husband Stan and I met through very sad circumstances. We met in an Oncology waiting room; we were both waiting to receive radiation treatment for cancer. Dating was the last thing I had on my mind when I noticed that he was locked into a stare and couldn't take his eyes off me. I really couldn't see what he was seeing because I was really thin but every time I looked across the room he was just staring and staring and staring.

At the cancer treatment clinic everyone is extremely friendly as we all have something in common so we are very courteous and of course have something we can talk about. I didn't talk to him except for hi and hello until three weeks later when our names were both called the get ready for our treatment. I discovered then that he worked in another hospital in which I was a patient three weeks earlier and as destiny would have it I was admitted on the ward that he worked. Lucky for me I was my regular cheerful self at the hospital so his background check on my character was great, everyone loved me (lol). You know you have some nasty patients, who reveal their true character when they are in desperate situations at the hospital right? Well, at the time I was admitted he was on sick leave so our paths didn't cross at that time and the reviews he received about me were all good.

Three weeks after we started conversing we went on an after-treatment date and funny enough we discovered we had more in common than cancer. We were ending each others sentences and we had the same taste in music, shared the same values and religious beliefs to name a few. It was easy for us to converse but he was a gentleman and was never pushy nor overbearing. Once a week when we saw each other we would grab a bite together until we started attending church services together and dating more. As we continued to support each other and share in the ups and downs of cancer we easily flowed into the natural course of falling in love.

We got married after dating for one year and almost nine months. For us a bad situation gave us a chance at love and this April 2009 will be our second anniversary. I am in remission but in Dec of 2007 he was told that the cancer had spread to his bones. I know in my heart that he will be alright. I dedicated last year to getting him through the battle as I prioritize him. We delayed and filed our petition in January of 2009 because of the sickness. He is the most wonderful and loving man I have ever met and my soulmate. That's my story. Sorry it was so long.

Edited by kcoyclay1

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My husband Stan and I met through very sad circumstances. We met in an Oncology waiting room; we were both waiting to receive radiation treatment for cancer. Dating was the last thing I had on my mind when I noticed that he was locked into a stare and couldn't take his eyes off me. I really couldn't see what he was seeing because I was really thin but every time I looked across the room he was just staring and staring and staring.

At the cancer treatment clinic everyone are extremely friendly as we all have something in common so we are very courteous and of course have something we can talk about. I didn't talk to him except for hi and hello until three weeks later when our names were both called the get ready for our treatment. I discovered then that he worked in another hospital in which I was a patient three weeks earlier and as destiny would have it I was admitted on the ward that he worked. Lucky for me I was my regular cheerful self at the hospital so his background check on my character was great, everyone loved me (lol). You know you have some nasty patients, who reveal their true character when they are in desperate situations at the hospital right? Well, at the time I was admitted he was on sick leave so our paths didn't cross at that time and the reviews he received about me were all good.

Three weeks after we started conversing we went on an after-treatment date and funny enough we discovered we had more in common than cancer. We were ending each others sentences and we had the same taste in music, shared the same values and religious beliefs to name a few. It was easy for us to converse but he was a gentleman and was never pushy nor overbearing. Once a week when we saw each other we would grab a bite together until we started attending church services together and dating more. As we continued to support each other and share in the ups and downs of cancer we easily flowed into the natural course of falling in love.

We got married after dating for one year and almost nine months. For us a bad situation gave us a chance at love and this April 2009 will be our second wedding anniversary. I am in remission but in Dec of 2007 he was told that the cancer had spread to his bones. I know in my heart that he will be alright. I dedicated last year to getting him through the battle as I prioritize him. We delayed and filed our petition in January of 2009 because of the sickness. He is the most wonderful and loving man I have ever met and my soulmate. That's my story. Sorry it was so long.

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's the sweetest story ever.... Sad circumstances brought you together, but you've found real love!! (F)

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.