melliemel

Green Card/SSN Problem

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello All,

So I haven't been here in quite some time because I have problems accessing the site. I guess I can't access it because I have a secured internet connection with a firewall so I have to log on to an unsecured wireless network in order to access this site.....

Anyway, I wanted to tell you all my issue.

I arrived in NY on May 22nd. Since that date I have heard NOTHING from US Immigration. No letter, no I SS card.

So I went into SS office yesterday, they inputted my VISA registration #, nothing came up so they said they have entered me as a SUSPECT. I was shocked because the lady made me feel as though my documents were FAKE. There are other problems with this due to married vs maiden name. All in all I was very upset because they said this could take 6 to 8 weeks to verify. This upset me because 1. I am trying to register for school and 2. I need the number for Financial aide. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I called DOHS and they said that since it has not been 30 since I entered they can;t help me. WHAT THE =( that is garbage. They didn't even take my name. NOTHING!!!

What to do? I don't know. I am feel even more lost because I can't access this site whenever I want.

Please e-mail all replies to melliemel1179@yahoo.ca

Thanks,

Take care

BTW I love being here with my hubby. =)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Takes awhile to get your greencard. Close to a month before I received mine. I wanted much longer for my SSN. I checked off the box on the form but it ddint arrive. So like 1.5 months later I strolled to the SSN office and submitted the apaerwork. Sorry I cant help much for the SSN, but I dont think your Greencard time frame is out of the ordinary. Mdyoung is the SSN guru on the board, pm him. Best of luck

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

So I haven't been here in quite some time because I have problems accessing the site. I guess I can't access it because I have a secured internet connection with a firewall so I have to log on to an unsecured wireless network in order to access this site.....

I arrived in NY on May 22nd. Since that date I have heard NOTHING from US Immigration. No letter, no I SS card.

So I went into SS office yesterday, they inputted my VISA registration #, nothing came up so they said they have entered me as a SUSPECT. I was shocked because the lady made me feel as though my documents were FAKE. There are other problems with this due to married vs maiden name. All in all I was very upset because they said this could take 6 to 8 weeks to verify. This upset me because 1. I am trying to register for school and 2. I need the number for Financial aide. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Please e-mail all replies to melliemel1179@yahoo.ca

What status did you arrive with? The suspect status is no big deal. Everyone gets that if you can't be verified through SAVE until your documents/status can be verified, just SSA SOP.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

according to her time line she is a CR-1 or IR-1

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

according to her time line she is a CR-1 or IR-1

OK

If she checked off on the DS-230 to be assigned an SSN should of had it by now. If she submitted an SSN application at an SSA office not much she can do exept for going back once a week to check on it. No sure what she is talking about with the married/maiden name problem.

Hello,

Thanks for the help.

I did check off on the DS230 to receieve my SSC. The married/maiden name problem is as follows.

When I first started my paperwork I applied under my married name. Then almost to the tail end of my process they changed all my papaer work to my maiden name. When I asked why they didn't have an answer but I figure it was because it was the name on my passport. When I entered the US through Pearson Airport in Toronto I requested to the POE officer that I would like my green card to come in my married name. He gave me a hard time at first but then explained that he submitted some paperwork and my green card should come in my married name.

When I went to SSA the other day they were like dogs. They were the most terrible people I have ever delt with. It's like they are mad because they have to work. Anyway, when she punched in my reg. number off my visa she said nothing is coming up. I was surprised and worried. Then she said she had to put me down as a suspect. BTW I had filled out a SS application and on the application I indicated my name as my married name and other names used as my maiden name. She got all huffy and puffy with me and said well you have one name in your passport (maiden) and another on your application (married) which one is it? I was extra upset at this time because of her tone of voice. I calmly explained to her my situation and even showed her my marriage certificate where it CLEARLY indicates that I have legally changed my name at time of marriage. She could care less to see my marriage certificate. Then rudely again she states. "SO WHICH ONE IS IT?" I just told her to put my married name. She says, "Well if Immigration doesn't have this name on file when they go to verify your documents you won't get you SSCard." I asked her if she could indicate both names as I do not know which one to use. OH FORGET THAT. She got so pi$$y. So I just left it as my married name and got the heck out of there =)

So that is my story with my married and maiden name. When I talked to USCIS Customer Service yesterday they said that if my green card comes in my maiden name to just let them know and they can have it changed. As for my SSCard. They said that the lady at the office should have taken a copy of my marriage certificate. Let's cross our fingers that this wonderful system we have can put 2 and 2 together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.