AnaAndDaniel

Furniture Shopping in North Carolina

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

There are several places in and around Hickory, NC that are very inexpensive. I got my living room furniture there for $700. It's very good quality furniture and has held up well. I also purchased a bed, two bedside tables, a dresser, a chest of drawers, and a coffee table for about $2000. It was a good price for me. Some places are better than others and have a better quality of furniture. You could certainly find something there in your price range, I'm sure. Good luck with your furniture shopping. :D

Charity,

way cool. How much time do you think one needs to browse / look arond for furniture they have idea on what they want? Essentially by that time we wuld know what style, requirements, etc... so it would be a matter of finding the best deal within our requirements.

Daniel

:energetic:

We usually just take a day. We live about 1 1/2 hours from the shops so we leave pretty early in the morning and shop all day. Even if we find something we like we go to the other stores to make sure there isn't anything else. Plus, sometimes the different stores will have the same thing and the prices can vary significantly. They even have slightly damaged things there too. My mom got a nice coffee table for about $150 because one corner was a little damaged. It was distressed anyway so you couldn't really even tell. You just have to be willing to put in about a whole day to look around and see what's there.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

There are several places in and around Hickory, NC that are very inexpensive. I got my living room furniture there for $700. It's very good quality furniture and has held up well. I also purchased a bed, two bedside tables, a dresser, a chest of drawers, and a coffee table for about $2000. It was a good price for me. Some places are better than others and have a better quality of furniture. You could certainly find something there in your price range, I'm sure. Good luck with your furniture shopping. :D

Charity,

way cool. How much time do you think one needs to browse / look arond for furniture they have idea on what they want? Essentially by that time we wuld know what style, requirements, etc... so it would be a matter of finding the best deal within our requirements.

Daniel

gracias Charithy! :thumbs:

Daniel

We usually just take a day. We live about 1 1/2 hours from the shops so we leave pretty early in the morning and shop all day. Even if we find something we like we go to the other stores to make sure there isn't anything else. Plus, sometimes the different stores will have the same thing and the prices can vary significantly. They even have slightly damaged things there too. My mom got a nice coffee table for about $150 because one corner was a little damaged. It was distressed anyway so you couldn't really even tell. You just have to be willing to put in about a whole day to look around and see what's there.

Ana (Mexico) ------ Daniel (California)(me)

---------------------------------------------

Sept. 11, 2004: Got married (civil), in Mexico :D

July 23, 2005: Church wedding

===============================

K3(I-129F):

Oct. 28, 2004: Mailed I-129F.

~USPS, First-Class, Certified Mail, Rtn Recpt ($5.80)

Nov. 3, 2004: NOA1!!!!

Nov. 5, 2004: Check Cashed!!

zzzz deep hibernationn zzzz

May 12, 2005 NOA2!!!! #######!!! huh???

off to NVC.

May 26, 2005: NVC approves I129F.

CR1(I-130):

Oct. 6, 2004: Mailed I-130.

Oct. 8, 2004: I-130 Delivered to CSC in Laguna Niguel.

~Per USPS website's tracking tool.

Oct. 12, 2004 BCIS-CSC Signs for I-130 packet.

Oct. 21, 2004 Check cashed!

Oct. 25, 2004 NOA1 (I-130) Go CSC!!

Jan. 05, 2005 Approved!!!! Off to NVC!!!!

NVC:

Jan. 05, 2005 ---> in route from CSC

Jan. 12, 2005 Case entered system

Jan. 29, 2005 Received I-864 Bill

Jan. 31, 2005 Sent Payment to St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 01, 2005 Wife received DS3032(Choice of Agent)

Feb. 05, 2005 Payment Received in St. Louis(I864)

Feb. 08, 2005 Sent DS3032 to Portsmouth NH

Feb. 12, 2005 DS3032 Received by NVC

Mar. 04, 2005 Received IV Bill

Mar. 04, 2005 Sent IV Bill Payment

Mar. 08, 2005 Received I864

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Mar. 21, 2005 I864 Received my NVC

Apr. 18, 2005 Received DS230

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Apr. 20, 2005 DS230 received by NVC (signed by S Merfeld)

Apr. 22, 2005 DS230 entered NVC system

Apr. 27, 2005 CASE COMPLETE

May 10, 2005 CASE SENT TO JUAREZ

Off to Cd. Juarez! :D

calls to NVC: 6

CIUDAD JUAREZ, American Consulate:

Apr. 27, 2005 case completed at NVC.

May 10, 2005 in route to Juarez.

May 25, 2005 Case at consulate.

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Well, many years ago, my ex (from nearby state) bought the dining room set from a warehouse close to Ashville. I remember her telling me that even with the delivery, it cost much less than what she found in the local store.

Well, with my wife, it's different because she thinks the traditional stuff that American furniture store carry reminds her of her grandparents' house. :whistle:

She prefers ecko and I forgot the name but the one out of New York and San fran. The contempory style. And, of course, IKEA. But compared to those others IKEA is like Thrift store :help:

So every now and then I remind (REINFORCE ) her of how much I appreciate her contempory MINIMALIST taste and style :luv:

Timeline
Well, many years ago, my ex (from nearby state) bought the dining room set from a warehouse close to Ashville. I remember her telling me that even with the delivery, it cost much less than what she found in the local store.

Well, with my wife, it's different because she thinks the traditional stuff that American furniture store carry reminds her of her grandparents' house. :whistle:

She prefers ecko and I forgot the name but the one out of New York and San fran. The contempory style. And, of course, IKEA. But compared to those others IKEA is like Thrift store :help:

So every now and then I remind (REINFORCE ) her of how much I appreciate her contempory MINIMALIST taste and style :luv:

hmm interesting... an Ikea just opened up nearby. maybe i can convince her to like the swedish thing. :whistle:

Daniel

K3(I-129F):

off to NVC.

CR1(I-130):

NVC:

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

-- Legal Disclaimer:What I say is only a reflection of what I did, going to do, or may do; it may also reflect what I have read others did, are going to do, or may do. What you do or may do is what you do or may do. You do so or may do so strictly out of your on voilition; or follow what a lawyer advised you to do, or may do. Having said that: have a nice day!

Charity,

Daniel

gracias Charithy! :thumbs:

Daniel

De nada! Anytime! :D

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

great topic!

I want to redo the kids rooms - currently looking for high sleepers with desks and hopefully closet type robes underneath for a decent price, also bedroom furniture for me and Len - we have a bed though,lol,and we will be living in Lenoir so not far from Hickory!

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Timeline
great topic!

I want to redo the kids rooms - currently looking for high sleepers with desks and hopefully closet type robes underneath for a decent price, also bedroom furniture for me and Len - we have a bed though,lol,and we will be living in Lenoir so not far from Hickory!

we've been looking ata loft/trundle/chest/compter and pc thingie for one of the extra bedrooms. we are quite impressed with it.

Daniel

K3(I-129F):

off to NVC.

CR1(I-130):

NVC:

Mar. 19, 2005 Sent I864

Apr. 19, 2005 Sent DS230

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know it is nice to have things new... but when on a budget, think used. You can often find things that are of a much better quality than you can afford new. Sometimes things are a steal, and only need a little refinishing....

Craigslist has a fair amount of #######, but you can also find some really good stuff on there

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

I'm kinda cheap. Well, not kinda..... Anyway, I'm restoring my house (circa 1838 Federal style) by myself and refuse to spend a lot of money on furniture. When my old, "held-together-with-baling-wire" bed finally died, I built a new one. After that experience, I decided to make more furniture for the house. So far I've made the bed in what will become Jordan's room, a couple of built-in bookcases, a free-standing bookcase for the LR.

Of course, lacking a woodshop, I'll have to buy some furniture eventually. The normal mark-up on furniture is 200-500%. I don't feel like paying that much of a premium. I'd rather buy antique, "period-correct" furniture, pay the same amount as new, and have something with some character/history behind it.

However, I know several people who have bought furniture in NC, and they did get very good deals. I'm not sure how cost-effective it would be for someone living in California, but it works out well for people here in Indiana.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Other Timeline

I LIVE in North Carolina and can't afford to buy furniture :P

HANG ON! Am I out of the loop...I thought you were moving oop north to run a pizza franchise?

:ot2:

we were gonna, but the guy up in WI backed out on us last minute. So we're still here :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Furniture stores often put a markup of more than 100% on the cost of furniture, so yes, you can often save quite a bit by buying from the factory direct. But to make it worth your while, it would probably take some significant purcahses to make it economical since you'd have to get it home somehow.

I knew a guy that for his summer job he rented a UHaul for the summer months and spent it travelling back and forth between N Carolina and Michigan. He would sell the furniture off the back of the truck by driving around at night around really good neighborhoods. They would pay him cash for the furniture. Instead of a 100% markup at the furniture store, he would only mark it up like 25 to 30%.

He made a small fortune. Enough to pay for his entire college education, housing, and plenty of beer money...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

There's always those factory direct clubs too where you are able to get in on all kinds of factory direct prices. Yes there is a fee for joining, but if you looking into maknig a lot of significant purchases or renovating significantly in your home it might be worth looking into. My father in law did this when he built his house and yes there is a fee for joining but in the end he still ended up saving a ton of money.

ticker.png

I knew a guy that for his summer job he rented a UHaul for the summer months and spent it travelling back and forth between N Carolina and Michigan. He would sell the furniture off the back of the truck by driving around at night around really good neighborhoods. They would pay him cash for the furniture. Instead of a 100% markup at the furniture store, he would only mark it up like 25 to 30%.

He made a small fortune. Enough to pay for his entire college education, housing, and plenty of beer money...

The IRS know about this gig? :whistle:

Edited by ET-US2004

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Anyone that has done this, in Hickory and what not.. I'd appreciate some tips of where to go. I live in Lenoir, just a mere 20 minutes away, but I'm not from here... and never really bought furniture since I've been here.

How it Started

2001 to Feb 2002 - Met online, were acquintances

Mar to Apr 2005 - Talked about finally giving in to our feelings and getting married

Aug 1 to Aug 7, 2005 - Fifth US Visit - Engaged

Time for the Visa

Dec 8, 2005 - Finally mailed Packet

Dec 20, 2005 - NOA1 Notice Date

Dec 27, 2005 - NOA1 Rcv'd in Mail

Mar 10, 2006 - NOA2 Approved

Mar 23, 2006 - NVC Received Packet

Mar 24, 2006 - Case Forwarded to London Embassy

Apr 7, 2006 - Recieved Packet 3

May 11, 2006 - Packet 3 Sent Back

May 24, 2006 - Medical Appointment

May 24, 2006 - Packet 4 Received

Jun 14, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2006 - Visa Recieved