blistex27

Separation/Divorce before Removal of Conditions -- Please advise

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Does he drive? If so, what address does he have on his drivers license? What about hers? Does it share the same address? Does the auto have an insurance policy? If so, can he get copies of those policies? What about the checking account? Can he get copies o cancelled checks for some of the utilities that are in her name paid by check with his address on it? Does he receive mail at the marital home address? Surely, if she gives him little spending money then he must turn over his paycheck to her. Does she put that in the joint checking account? Does he have statements to show that they both deposit money into the account? You have to tell him to get creative in painting the whole picture.

Impossible question to answer, but, if you will....use this exercise.

Line up all the evidence you have on the table. Chronologically. Now sit back and determine from considering each piece of evidence from the date of your marriage until the most recent piece of evidence you have what kind of picture it would paint of your relationship with your spouse.

Does the picture appear to show, clearly, that you and your USC spouse lived together during that entire time?

Does the picture appear to show, clearly, that you and your USC spouse jointly shared in the financial obligations of the marriage?

Does the picture appear to show, clearly, that you and your USC spouse jointly shared in the proceeds of the marriage (in terms of income and assets) during that entire time?

Does the picture appear to show, clearly, that you and your USC spouse were willing to provide for the other in the event that either of you were to die at any point in time?

The waiver process is not at all unlike the process for alien's that are still married to USCs. The form is the same, the evidentiary requirements the same, in fact, once the alien is divorced no further evidence can be accrued to demonstrate the "bonafides" so chances are an alien filling out a waiver will only provide evidence from the date of marriage to the date the divorce was final.

If a alien doesn't have much evidence then the process can become complicated. One element of evidence is Affidavits from friends and family members that attest to the genuine nature of the former marrage, which can help.

I'm going through the same thing. We've been married since 2006, got my conditional card in May, and we separated in Dec. I'm the beneficiary and she is the USC. I did *not see this coming, and I am going through a very tough time now; we are as bona fide as can be, and she just gave up on us. She said she wasn't happy. She also wrote an affidavit attesting that we are bona fide; we have so much evidence.

Also, it was SHE that wanted to divorce; not me. I was in utter shock. And I'm going through massive grief therapy. I'm freakin' falling apart here.

Also, mermaid, do you recommend I get a laawyer to help me? I'm still on conditional greencard. :crying:

HOw much evidence is too little evidence? And how much evidence is enough? I know the more you have the easier it is to prove your case, but just so we have a rough ballpark.

Oi! A very useful exercise indeed - but what would you think if you were simply presented with evidence of joint banking accounts (2) accounts over the span of that time, health insurance, car insurance, jointly filed taxes, letters they had written in the past, photos of their courtship, and a Title to a Car? I believe that is all he has, since she bought the house before they were married and refuses to add his name to the title; the utilties again are all in her name, and I guess there's no point to putting his name on them; and I'm positive she's too cheap to purchase life insurance. If that evidence were to fly, I would think the USCIS would have to know the story, right? Or is that enough? You seem so knowledgeable about this area!

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow. I scanned through that, and saw that one suggestion was to get rid of the K-1, and require the couple to get married in the foreign country. I'm already married, so it won't affect me, but I have heard that in some countries, at least in Morocco, it can easily take 3 weeks to do everything required for a USC to marry there. I visited my SO three times before he got his visa, but was never able to go more than about a week and a half at a time - and I was in a unique position of being able to do even that. Flights to Morocco are very expensive, and many people are lucky to go once or twice. It might not actually be very practical for some couples to manage to get married unless they do so in the US. Since a visitor's visa is next to impossible to get from there, I wonder how some couples would work around it if the K-1 is discontinued? I know it's possible - others have done it. But it seems it could make it very difficult and time consuming for some.

Yikes.

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.