bggirl

Passport instead of Naturalization Certificate?

3 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hello!

I have a question about the documents for the interview. I am applying based on marriage to a USC and my interview letter says I have to bring my spouse's naturalization certificate (or birth certificate, but in our case the former). However, since his naturalization was more than 30 years ago, he has no idea where the certificate is. The letter does not list his passport as a possible substitute, so we are getting worried that this may cause a problem. Has anybody been in a similar situation, or have any idea what we should do in this case? ( We know he can apply for a duplicate but we prefer not to spend the money if possible- I think it was around $380 for something he would probably never need again.)

Thanks for any advice!

N400: D/O - Las Vegas, NV

10/10/08 : N-400 Mailed to CSC.

10/13/08 : N-400 received

10/16/08 : money order presented for payment

10/20/08 : NOA received ; case transferred to NBC

10/16/08 : date of notice

10/14/08 : priority date

10/27/08 : FP Notification received

11/13/08 : scheduled for FP and done

01/21/09 : IL received

03/23/09 : Interview scheduled and completed successfully!

Happy and waiting for oath letter- 4 to 6 weeks according to the IO........

04/11/09 : Received Oath letter (scheduled for May 1)

05/01/09 : Took oath!! A very special day for me and my family!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hello!

I have a question about the documents for the interview. I am applying based on marriage to a USC and my interview letter says I have to bring my spouse's naturalization certificate (or birth certificate, but in our case the former). However, since his naturalization was more than 30 years ago, he has no idea where the certificate is. The letter does not list his passport as a possible substitute, so we are getting worried that this may cause a problem. Has anybody been in a similar situation, or have any idea what we should do in this case? ( We know he can apply for a duplicate but we prefer not to spend the money if possible- I think it was around $380 for something he would probably never need again.)

Thanks for any advice!

Should be in very large print on this board,

DOWNLOAD AND READ THE M-476 MANUAL

You will find:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years:

• Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or

• Naturalization certificate, or

• Certificate of Citizenship, or

The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, or

• Form FS-240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America,” and

Hope this answers your question.

Timeline

Thank you for the reply, NickD!

Actually, it does not need to be in that large of a print for us to be able to read it :whistle:

I have read it before we sent the application, and that is I had no worries when we included copies of the first two pages in the application. However, as paranoid as it may seem, I would expect them to list it as an option in the interview letter as well. Hopefully, you are right and they would not insist on the certificate.

N400: D/O - Las Vegas, NV

10/10/08 : N-400 Mailed to CSC.

10/13/08 : N-400 received

10/16/08 : money order presented for payment

10/20/08 : NOA received ; case transferred to NBC

10/16/08 : date of notice

10/14/08 : priority date

10/27/08 : FP Notification received

11/13/08 : scheduled for FP and done

01/21/09 : IL received

03/23/09 : Interview scheduled and completed successfully!

Happy and waiting for oath letter- 4 to 6 weeks according to the IO........

04/11/09 : Received Oath letter (scheduled for May 1)

05/01/09 : Took oath!! A very special day for me and my family!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.