Prettyredmaple

Has anyone gotten married in the Philippines?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just want to be prepared for any documentation I need to show I am legally able to marry a filipina in her own country. I have notarized copies of my divorce including the court docket. Of course I will have my passport, driver's licence and probably birth certificate.

In addition, what must I bring to file for the marriage licence in her town in the province?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

duplicate post

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=172580&hl=

Your question may be better answered in the regional forum... moving

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

If you are a US citizen you should have a " Legal Capacity to Marry".

Good luck :)

<style>body{background-image:url(http://images67.imikimi.com/image/images2_full/19twj-101.gif);background-repeat:no-repeat;}</style>

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I just want to be prepared for any documentation I need to show I am legally able to marry a filipina in her own country. I have notarized copies of my divorce including the court docket. Of course I will have my passport, driver's licence and probably birth certificate.

In addition, what must I bring to file for the marriage licence in her town in the province?

If you are a US citizen want to marry here in the Philippines? first you go to the USEMbassy Manila have your documents ready like Divorce decree + Birth Cert+ passport & U can get ''Legal Capacity'' doc from there pay 30usd. Next step is to go the Municipality or City Hall where your Fiancee lived go to the Civil Dept. submit the Legal Capacity (have it photocopied for future use)+ you & your Fiancee BC + Divorce decree & get a Marriage License payment is less than 100 pesos, (don't talk to any fixer in applying for a Marriage License they will charge you big amount because you are a foreigner)you will be given 10 days to wait, while waiting you can arrange the wedding, also there is seminar for both of you to attend( Marriage Counseling), then after 10 days you can already claim the Marriage License & You can now Get married in the Church or in a Civil Ceremony. this is a step by step guide for you based on my experienced. Ok, Good Luck.

MARLO SY PARKER

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've always thought it was on you to decide if you could get married again and that the local gov't would not challenge you on this. If anyone gets married when they know they don't have the legal capacity, they are risking that the US embassy would find out later (not only the embassy, but any gov't agency). Getting married again without getting a divorce is easy from what I understand. It is just that many don't do it, because they know it likely could get complicated later (having overlapping marriages and trying to get a divorce from the first wife while married to the 2nd wife.... OMG!!!).

I know of someone who just recently got married in the RP (he was previously married and divorced) and he didn't even have to be present to get the marriage license in the RP.

But, mamalou's process seems pretty simple if you want to cover all the bases.

Edited by DEDixon

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You've pretty much covered everything. Oh wait, you'd also have to bring money for marriage license fee and among "others".

AnnaJeff's blog ****

th_PIC_1059.jpg

I love Jeff I Love Anna

725325v80m0346dj.gif7.gifTTT725325v80m0346dj.gif

725325v80m0346dj.gif

xoxoTTT

252682in41fsxg03.gif

If you are a US citizen want to marry here in the Philippines? first you go to the USEMbassy Manila have your documents ready like Divorce decree + Birth Cert+ passport & U can get ''Legal Capacity'' doc from there pay 30usd. Next step is to go the Municipality or City Hall where your Fiancee lived go to the Civil Dept. submit the Legal Capacity (have it photocopied for future use)+ you & your Fiancee BC + Divorce decree & get a Marriage License payment is less than 100 pesos, (don't talk to any fixer in applying for a Marriage License they will charge you big amount because you are a foreigner)you will be given 10 days to wait, while waiting you can arrange the wedding, also there is seminar for both of you to attend( Marriage Counseling), then after 10 days you can already claim the Marriage License & You can now Get married in the Church or in a Civil Ceremony. this is a step by step guide for you based on my experienced. Ok, Good Luck.

+1 on mamalou's steps. The US Embassy only does Affividavits from 8 AM to 10 AM. I suggest arriving at the Embassy no later than 7 AM.

We took the Affidavit and other required documents directly to the Civil Registry (City Hall) after leaving the USEM.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Hi, we got married here in our province. All need to do is that bring your ORIGINAL birth certificate then when you arrive here in the Philippines, go to the US Embassy in Manila and get the Legal Capacity to Marry or Affidavit of Lieu to Marry, requirement to get that is your valid passport and maybe your divorce decree and/or papers just in case you were divorcee. There's a certain fee for that but I forgot how much exactly.

After that you can return in her province and apply for marriage license.

ADD:

Requirement for her when applying marriage license:

NSO authenticated birth certificate in original copy (prepare at least 2 of this or more for future purposes).

NSO authenticated CENOMAR (Certificate of Non Marriage)

Parent or guardian consent (I was 24 going 25 then and yet I needed my father to sign the license paperwork)

Requirements for you when applying marriage license:

Original birth certificate

Affidavit of Lieu or Legal Capacity to Marry

Passport, Identification card

That's all you need to prepare and also make sure you make bunch of xerox copies of the above mentioned.

[/color]

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The marriage counseling is entertaining,,you get to listen to the speaker ( a nurse in our case), give all the pregnant couples a hard time because the counseling was mostly about family planning. I think there were around 25 couples at the counseling session we attended. My wife noticed some of the other foreign spouses paying a 'fee' to get a pass from attending.

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage : 2007-05-24

I-130 Sent : 2007-08-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-15 receipt date

I-130 NOA2: 2008-09-02 Hardcopy

I-129F Sent : 2008-02-29

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-03

I-129F RFE(s) : None

RFE Reply(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-26 (email)

I-129F NOA2: 2008-09-02 Hardcopy

NVC Received :2008-09-04

NVC Left : 2008-09-04

Consulate Received :2008-09-12

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Medical: 2008-09-23,24

Sputum Test Passed, complete medical: 2008-12-08

Interview Date : 2008-12-22, White Slips, need current marriage index and CENOMAR

Visa Received : 2009-01-19

US Entry : 2009-02-01

I-130 Approval : 2008-08-26

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 179 days from your filing date.

Your I-130 was approved in 364 days from your filing date.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It sounds like you have everything you need. Have you been married before? When you go to the Embassy, you will

meet with consular and apply for Affidavit of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. It is a quick and painless process, and will cost you I think $50.00 or $75.00. Once you have the Affidavit, then you will have to wait ten days to get married. You will need to take that Affidavit, along with your passport to the hall of justice in the province of your fiancee. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. I just went through this process not too long ago.

GOOD LUCK !

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It sounds like you have everything you need. Have you been married before? When you go to the Embassy, you will

meet with consular and apply for Affidavit of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. It is a quick and painless process, and will cost you I think $50.00. Once you have the Affidavit, then you will have to wait ten days to get married. You will need to take that Affidavit, along with your passport to the hall of justice in the province of your fiancee. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. I just went through this process not too long ago.

GOOD LUCK !

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

I am planning on going to the philippines next month to marry my fiancee there. I have read about the process. However, I have a question I hope someone can help me with: I can only go there for 1 week, unlees I take an additional week off off work without pay to amke it 2 weeks. I am concerned about the 10 waiting peroid after applying for the marriage liscence. Someone told me to try and contact the Mayor's office there to see if they can make special arrangements to speed up the waiting peroid, maybe by posting in advance or something.

Does anyone know how I could go about accomplishing this? Because if the 10 days is 10 working days, I won't even be able to get married in 2 weeks. I was hoping to be able to marry in one week, to avoid losing a weeks pay.

I don't even know how to go about contacting the Maypr's office and would there even be anyone there that could speak english?

I have been trying to figure out how to accomplish this for weeks now and it is driviing me crazy, as i can't seem to find any answers or assisitance on this.

I am so glad that I found this site--it appears to be very informative and helpful. I was even planning on paying an attorney to process the k3 visa, but after reading thew info here, I will probaly apply myself.

Also, I read about this requiremnet with the I-130 application that seems troublesome:

Note: Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage

The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bonifide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as:

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financialresources; or

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

How are you supposed to meet this requirement if you just married and returned to the US to apply for her visa? It does not make sense to me--since you will have a valid marriage certificate.

I hope someone can help me figure this out, I really wanrt to marry while there next month.

Thanks much!

Steve

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.