duomi

319b filer...fingerprint, interview, passport, 45-day rule questions

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello,

I reside in Cambodia and filed for citizenship under 319b in November, and if anyone can help me with these questions I'd be really grateful. This is all so stressful!

1. My fingerprints were rejected, because apparently the US Embassy in Bangkok is giving out the wrong forms. Anyway, I resubmitted straightaway. Did anyone else have this experience? How did it effect your application? How long do fingerprints normally take to process?

2. I submitted a wide timeframe for my availability for the interview (Jan. 25 through March 13), but now that we are well in January I need to adjust that based on some work commitments. How do I do that?

3. From overseas, is there a way to check in on the status of my app and find out if they've scheduled an interview yet? Is there a telephone contact?

4. How long does it normally take to obtain a US passport once citizenship is granted? Can you apply on the same day? I'm wondering because under 319b, I am supposed to leave the country within 45 days of obtaining citizenship and join my husband. Also, I'm not sure how to plan my return trip.

5. Which brings me to my final question: due to my husband's US Gov't contract, my interview needs to take place before March 31. However, we need to come back to the US in May for a friend's wedding. This unfortunately puts me out of range of the 45 day rule under 319b, meaning I'd have to make two trips. Since my husband will be coming to the States on May 8, is there any way an officer would allow me to stay until May 8, if I can show evidence of my husband's trip (a ticket, for example)?

Ugh. Thank you all so much!!! I will so happy when this is over. Luckily Cambodia has lots of cheap massages where I can work out the citizenship tension! :wacko:

Hello,

I reside in Cambodia and filed for citizenship under 319b in November, and if anyone can help me with these questions I'd be really grateful. This is all so stressful!

1. My fingerprints were rejected, because apparently the US Embassy in Bangkok is giving out the wrong forms. Anyway, I resubmitted straightaway. Did anyone else have this experience? How did it effect your application? How long do fingerprints normally take to process?

2. I submitted a wide timeframe for my availability for the interview (Jan. 25 through March 13), but now that we are well in January I need to adjust that based on some work commitments. How do I do that?

3. From overseas, is there a way to check in on the status of my app and find out if they've scheduled an interview yet? Is there a telephone contact?

4. How long does it normally take to obtain a US passport once citizenship is granted? Can you apply on the same day? I'm wondering because under 319b, I am supposed to leave the country within 45 days of obtaining citizenship and join my husband. Also, I'm not sure how to plan my return trip.

5. Which brings me to my final question: due to my husband's US Gov't contract, my interview needs to take place before March 31. However, we need to come back to the US in May for a friend's wedding. This unfortunately puts me out of range of the 45 day rule under 319b, meaning I'd have to make two trips. Since my husband will be coming to the States on May 8, is there any way an officer would allow me to stay until May 8, if I can show evidence of my husband's trip (a ticket, for example)?

Ugh. Thank you all so much!!! I will so happy when this is over. Luckily Cambodia has lots of cheap massages where I can work out the citizenship tension! :wacko:

Hi,

1. No, my wife's fingerprints seemed to work fine. We had them made at the Embassy in La Paz, Bolivia.

2. As far as adjusting your availability I do not think that is possible. You will get an interview when they give it to you and you have to be there or you will have a hard time getting a new one. This is at least what I heard from people who had tried to change their interviews or ask for specific dates.

3. The only way I know of that you can check the status is by emailing or calling your US representative's office (or senator). They have a way to find out quickly. That's how I found out our interview date two weeks before the letter arrived.

4. A passport can be gotten within a short period of time. Do a search for "passports" and you will see hundreds of stories. Lately, people seem to be getting them in 6 days, with our without paying the expedited fee, but before you had to pay expedited fee or wait two weeks. My guess is that you can get it in 3-4 days if you were willing to pay for a courier service and expedite fees. I don't know that, however, and we are allowing 2 weeks. There is also the option (of dubious legality) of leaving the country and applying for a US passport at a foreign embassy. One 319b applicant did that and it worked, despite the fact that she was given a hard time by the consular officials.

5. No idea about that one. One would think you could get citizenship and get the passport and then change your plans due to unforeseen circumstances. At the time of the interview, however, you are supposed to show that you would be leaving within 45 days of the oath. One idea: ask the officer to schedule your oath for April. The only scary part is: what if they don't give you an oath letter until the summer....you would still have to fly back. My guess is that the USCIS will not be pleased if you are not planning on leaving within the 45 days. It is one of the few time constraints on 319b filers, and I can't imagine that are going to be flexible. It is the law, after all, that you be planning to leave. It's all about "good faith," it seems to me. We are in a similar situation b/c our flight back is 51 days after our interview. We are trying to decide whether to move it now or just explain to the officer that it is a flexi-ticket and we will move it when we have the cert of naturalizatoin in hand!!!!) :)

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Hello,

Hi,

1. No, my wife's fingerprints seemed to work fine. We had them made at the Embassy in La Paz, Bolivia.

2. As far as adjusting your availability I do not think that is possible. You will get an interview when they give it to you and you have to be there or you will have a hard time getting a new one. This is at least what I heard from people who had tried to change their interviews or ask for specific dates.

3. The only way I know of that you can check the status is by emailing or calling your US representative's office (or senator). They have a way to find out quickly. That's how I found out our interview date two weeks before the letter arrived.

4. A passport can be gotten within a short period of time. Do a search for "passports" and you will see hundreds of stories. Lately, people seem to be getting them in 6 days, with our without paying the expedited fee, but before you had to pay expedited fee or wait two weeks. My guess is that you can get it in 3-4 days if you were willing to pay for a courier service and expedite fees. I don't know that, however, and we are allowing 2 weeks. There is also the option (of dubious legality) of leaving the country and applying for a US passport at a foreign embassy. One 319b applicant did that and it worked, despite the fact that she was given a hard time by the consular officials.

5. No idea about that one. One would think you could get citizenship and get the passport and then change your plans due to unforeseen circumstances. At the time of the interview, however, you are supposed to show that you would be leaving within 45 days of the oath. One idea: ask the officer to schedule your oath for April. The only scary part is: what if they don't give you an oath letter until the summer....you would still have to fly back. My guess is that the USCIS will not be pleased if you are not planning on leaving within the 45 days. It is one of the few time constraints on 319b filers, and I can't imagine that are going to be flexible. It is the law, after all, that you be planning to leave. It's all about "good faith," it seems to me. We are in a similar situation b/c our flight back is 51 days after our interview. We are trying to decide whether to move it now or just explain to the officer that it is a flexi-ticket and we will move it when we have the cert of naturalizatoin in hand!!!!) :)

"5. No idea about that one. One would think you could get citizenship and get the passport and then change your plans due to unforeseen circumstances. At the time of the interview, however, you are supposed to show that you would be leaving within 45 days of the oath. One idea: ask the officer to schedule your oath for April. The only scary part is: what if they don't give you an oath letter until the summer....you would still have to fly back. My guess is that the USCIS will not be pleased if you are not planning on leaving within the 45 days. It is one of the few time constraints on 319b filers, and I can't imagine that are going to be flexible. It is the law, after all, that you be planning to leave. It's all about "good faith," it seems to me. We are in a similar situation b/c our flight back is 51 days after our interview. We are trying to decide whether to move it now or just explain to the officer that it is a flexi-ticket and we will move it when we have the cert of naturalizatoin in hand!!!!) :)

Thomas I am really curious as where did you get this information?

Just a note that make sure that your wife can fly at the time of her interview.. I know she is pregnant right now.. The airplane will be asking for a medical certificate.

Goodluck everyone.

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Timeline
Hello,

"I did mine in the US Embassy in the Middle East. I am not sure why the Bangkok US Embassy gave you the wrong card.. You should have check it before they did fingerprints to you.. The card should FD-258 I think, just read the instruction on documents required in 319b.

You are not the one who can choose the date of interview, the Service Center will do.. So you dont have any choice if they gave you an appointment date after 3 months or so.. You have to cancel all your personal appointment, and take this interview as the first priority.. Once you re scheduled this appointment, it will take a while before they gave you another date of interview...(based from experience from some of the people I know...) Until now, they have not gotten any dates.. since 2007

They said the USCIS website is up to date.. But for me, my file never been updated online.. I received my notice last minute.. and if my sister in law did pocrastinate sending my mail, probably I missed the interview.. My advice is if you used the US address, make sure the receiver opened the letter for you and scan to you and send it to you by email.. So you can plan ahead if the dates were to early.. Unlike mine, I have to buy a last minute ticket.. and it way so expensive...

You can apply anytime after the oath, I would recommend that apply the passport while you are in the US.. Some passport agency has rush service, the fees may be doubled but you will get the passport quick.. I did apply passport overseas, but I have experienced a hard time from the consul, said a lot but later released my passport.. So better do it in the states, and also adjust the citizenship status in SSA Office as well for your SSN.

I dont know where did you all get this information that you have to leave the states within 45 days.. I believe that the immigration there does not scrutinize you whether you filed citizenship under 319b or not.. What matter is you have a US passport when you leave and a US passport when you come back.. Officer wont ask anything about this as you are already a citizen of UNITED STATES.

"5. No idea about that one. One would think you could get citizenship and get the passport and then change your plans due to unforeseen circumstances. At the time of the interview, however, you are supposed to show that you would be leaving within 45 days of the oath. One idea: ask the officer to schedule your oath for April. The only scary part is: what if they don't give you an oath letter until the summer....you would still have to fly back. My guess is that the USCIS will not be pleased if you are not planning on leaving within the 45 days. It is one of the few time constraints on 319b filers, and I can't imagine that are going to be flexible. It is the law, after all, that you be planning to leave. It's all about "good faith," it seems to me. We are in a similar situation b/c our flight back is 51 days after our interview. We are trying to decide whether to move it now or just explain to the officer that it is a flexi-ticket and we will move it when we have the cert of naturalizatoin in hand!!!!) :)

Thomas I am really curious as where did you get this information?

Just a note that make sure that your wife can fly at the time of her interview.. I know she is pregnant right now.. The airplane will be asking for a medical certificate.

Goodluck everyone.

Hi completely!

Since you are the queen of 319b, I was wondering when you would weigh in! :)

I'm not sure what information you are referring to, but the 45-day thing is something I read on the information sheets provided by USCIS on 319b. I can't remember if the exact time period is specified in the Immigration and Naturalization Act or the Code of Federal Regulation or not.....that's why we are waiting until we arrive. Perhaps we will have to move our flight up six days, which we can do by phone in front of the officer if needed! It is a flexi-ticket.

Good luck everyone!

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

ROC

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

N-400

Timeline

What requirements must I meet for naturalization under section 319(B) of the INA?

• You must be a lawful permanent resident at the time of your interview.

• You must meet the applicable naturalization requirements outlined in sections 312 and 316 of the INA and Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations (physical presence is not required).

• You must be married to a U.S. citizen and living together in a valid marital union.

• Your U.S. citizen spouse must be “regularly stationed abroad” as:

o A member of the U.S. Armed Forces;

o An employee or an individual under contract to the U.S. government;

Page 2

FAQ – 319(B) of the INA

o An employee of an American institution of research recognized as such by the Attorney General;

o An employee of an American-owned firm or corporation engaged in the development of foreign trade and commerce for the United States;

o An employee of a public international organization of which the United States is a member by law or treaty; or

o A person who performs ministerial or priestly functions for a religious denomination or an interdenominational organization with a valid presence in the United States.

• You must show evidence that you will depart to join your U.S. citizen spouse within 45 days of your naturalization.

Thomas,

Im not the queen of 319b :rofl:

Based on the requirement above.. from what I understand and interpreted is that, if a person is still in the US at the time of filing 319b, she needs to show the evidence that she will be joining her husband overseas within 45 days of her naturalization... Our case is different, as we are already overseas, when we filed 319b... Try to read this 3 time "You must show evidence that you will depart to join your U.S. citizen spouse within 45 days of your naturalization" and you will be able to have some shed of light on this.

Edited by Completely

[quote name='Completely' d

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

ROC

N-400

Yes you are, Completely. I would not be applying under this section without your technical expertise! So i give you the crown!

I see what you mean about the 45-day rule. I was thinking that, in our case, we are "moving" back to the US on 23 January and the "moving back" overseas on 5 April, but we could make a very good case to the IO that we are already "residing overseas" and we just came back for the interview, in which case they may not mind if our return is 51 days after the oath. We'll see!!! I can't wait....we only have 3 and a half weeks to wait, and my wife is studying all the time! The new English test looks weird. It's all words that have to do with US history, like "George Washington" and "father of our country." Being able to pronounce the founding fathers is a different test than the old "My dog has fleas," or "She goes to the supermarket to buy groceries" tests. We are going to have a lot of new citizens who know all about US history but can't find their way to the grocery store. ;)

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

ROC

N-400

Timeline
Yes you are, Completely. I would not be applying under this section without your technical expertise! So i give you the crown!

I see what you mean about the 45-day rule. I was thinking that, in our case, we are "moving" back to the US on 23 January and the "moving back" overseas on 5 April, but we could make a very good case to the IO that we are already "residing overseas" and we just came back for the interview, in which case they may not mind if our return is 51 days after the oath. We'll see!!! I can't wait....we only have 3 and a half weeks to wait, and my wife is studying all the time! The new English test looks weird. It's all words that have to do with US history, like "George Washington" and "father of our country." Being able to pronounce the founding fathers is a different test than the old "My dog has fleas," or "She goes to the supermarket to buy groceries" tests. We are going to have a lot of new citizens who know all about US history but can't find their way to the grocery store. ;)

I hope everything will turn out great for you all.. I am also nervous even I am done with this that some officers does not have much knowledge in 319b act.

Let's just be positive and just want to say GOODLUCK everyone..

Thomas, keep me posted.

• 5 years later...

hi, what if you didn't depart within 45 days after oath taking? what will happened? I am under section 319(b) i had my interview feb. 24 and my oath will be march 7, but i'll be going back to Philippines for our work this July. What will happened if you didn't leave within 45 days.

Hi, we are planning to sent my application under 319b. We are already here in Germany, do I need to go back in the states when interview comes?...thanks..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.