LucyLovesRicky

Approved but I have a question?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband had his interview in Cairo on January 4 and his Visa was approved. YAY! Ww are very happy about that but we are confused about something.

First off his interview went very well, and they didn't ask him many questions, and didn't look at any evidence except the pictures and then not very thoroughly. Paid closest attention of the pics of me with his family. However, we've been married almost 3 years and I and my daughter lived there with him for several months. So, I guess that was enough to convince of a bonafide relationship.

However, one of the officers, an Egyptian lady told him that I need to send them a letter saying I was not working and that I didn't file income taxes. I am currently a student on disability and we had to have a co-sponsor. But he also spoke to two other officers and at the end of the interview they said Congratulations, you will have your visa in about a week, and they kept his passport.

He was so excited he forgot to ask does he still need the letter. And he tried to cal them but got so lost and upset in voice mail he forgot to ask about the letter and only ask about when he will receive the visa because it has now been a little more than a week. So I'm going to email them and ask about it, even thought there respnonses are slow in coming and I don't think they really read your email, just send a standard answer, "You are in AP."

I really don't understand why they want the letter. I asked NVC about all that before we sent in the Affadavit of Supports, and they told me the less information I send the better, since they are going only by the co-sponsor's information. They said it would be less confusing and faster for our case and that it was not needed.

And I'm confused as to how much detail to give them when and if I do have to send the letter. Do I list exactly when I stopped working? When was the last tax return filed and how much I earned that year? And for how many years would I cover? And then again what about this year. I will probably file although the income I earned was not from work, it was a stipend for education that is taxed?

I'm afraid to go into details that will raise more questions just as NVC said it would, and delay the visa. And I'm afraid not to go into details in fear they will think I'm trying to hide something, I'm not. Just not sure what they want and if I even need to do it since they kept his paasport?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Lucy

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
My husband had his interview in Cairo on January 4 and his Visa was approved. YAY! Ww are very happy about that but we are confused about something.

However, one of the officers, an Egyptian lady told him that I need to send them a letter saying I was not working and that I didn't file income taxes. I am currently a student on disability and we had to have a co-sponsor. But he also spoke to two other officers and at the end of the interview they said Congratulations, you will have your visa in about a week, and they kept his passport.

I really don't understand why they want the letter. I asked NVC about all that before we sent in the Affadavit of Supports, and they told me the less information I send the better, since they are going only by the co-sponsor's information. They said it would be less confusing and faster for our case and that it was not needed.

Thank you!

Lucy

As a US Citizen, you are required to file an income tax return every year no matter where you are living or working in the world.

If you did not meet the threshold where you are required to file a return, then you must submit a letter explaining why you didnt file a return. That is what they are looking for.

To whom......

I did not file an income tax return for taxable year 2007 as I was not required to file as my income was 14.98 which is below the threshold....blah blah blah

signed....

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

Thank you!

Lucy

As a US Citizen, you are required to file an income tax return every year no matter where you are living or working in the world.

If you did not meet the threshold where you are required to file a return, then you must submit a letter explaining why you didnt file a return. That is what they are looking for.

To whom......

I did not file an income tax return for taxable year 2007 as I was not required to file as my income was 14.98 which is below the threshold....blah blah blah

signed....

I don't think your required to file if you did not work, or you did not earn at least $5,000 in one year.

But anyway I called DOS and they said we do not need a letter because it is not in their system that the embassy requested it.

They said their system would state that we need the letter before a visa can be issued if we did. However, I don't really trust them, so I will call back again and in the meantime I will wait for the email from the embassy.

And perhaps my husband, can try and navigate their phone system again. The number I have to call will not give case specific information.

Timeline

Thank you!

Lucy

To whom......

signed....

I don't think your required to file if you did not work, or you did not earn at least $5,000 in one year.

But anyway I called DOS and they said we do not need a letter because it is not in their system that the embassy requested it.

They said their system would state that we need the letter before a visa can be issued if we did. However, I don't really trust them, so I will call back again and in the meantime I will wait for the email from the embassy.

And perhaps my husband, can try and navigate their phone system again. The number I have to call will not give case specific information.

HE SHOULD CALL THEM AT 1 PM TO 4 PM BUT THEY DONT GIVE CASE SPECIFIC INFORMATION ON PHONE U JUST HAVE TO WAIT THEY ANSWER UR EMAIL ... GOOD LUCK

From

happiness rules

1 :- Don’t hate anyone even though he offends you

2 :- Don’t ever worry and increase invocation to god

3 :- Live simply however your rank getting high

4 :- Expect that it will be better however the tribulations were increased and expect good thinking of good

5 :- Give more even if you were abstained

6 :- Smile even if you heart is crying bloods

Morning

of heart’s happiness!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

196029953.jpg

CLICK ON PIC TO DOWNLOAD HOLY QURAN ( MANY LANGUAGES ) ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

670873386.jpg

Even when you have a co-sponsor, the USC still must provide their tax return. It is true that if you made less than $17.5K (don't quote me on the number, but since you are married -its kind of high) in 2007 you did not file a return. The immigration people do not know this, so to make the file complete the one CO suggested the letter.

I suggest you fax them such a letter. It may not be necessary, but ...

I'm sure someone here has the Cairo fax number.

Good Luck!!

Timeline
Even when you have a co-sponsor, the USC still must provide their tax return. It is true that if you made less than $17.5K (don't quote me on the number, but since you are married -its kind of high) in 2007 you did not file a return. The immigration people do not know this, so to make the file complete the one CO suggested the letter.

Good Luck!!

So you think a fax will be okay? And not an original signed document?

Good Luck!!

So you think a fax will be okay? And not an original signed document?

And do you think they need info for the three previous years and not just 2007?

Timeline
I think a fax is fine - this is not an "official document". It is you stating why you didn't file.

You could mention all three years.

Good Luck!!

Sorry to bother you again, I sent the letter in an email? Do think that would be ok too? And I includef tax info since 2004. If I have to fax or mail it it will have to wait until my next financial aid check, next week. Thanks

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
I think a fax is fine - this is not an "official document". It is you stating why you didn't file.

You could mention all three years.

Good Luck!!

Sorry to bother you again, I sent the letter in an email? Do think that would be ok too? And I includef tax info since 2004. If I have to fax or mail it it will have to wait until my next financial aid check, next week. Thanks

sign it and fax it. They just want the signed statement in the immigration folder in case some auditor goes thru it someday to make sure everything was done correctly.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If they told him Congratulations and kept the passport then it is probably fine. However, with Cairo you can never tell.

They usually always answered my emails. I would say 95% of the time anyway. Wwhen I was going through the process they answered in about 3 to 5 days. Sometimes it would take them awhile especially during the Holidays. Some give better answers than others so if I got the generic answer I would send again the same day cause I think they take turns answering and some give better answers.

I also learned to put Urgent Question or Urgent need reply.

Sometimes if you put too much info in your email they skip it. I learned to only put one question per email because they would answer one and not the others sometimes.

I hope this helps you.

Cheryl

Timeline

Got an email from the embassy they said they do not need the letter. So, why did one of the officers say he did? Did they argue about it behind scenes or what? "Yes, he needs it, No, he doesn't."

But now I'm really scared, they said his case is in AP. I hope too God that does not mean we will be waiting for months. I really don't understand AP. And why did they keep his passport if it will be a long time. God we've been going through this ####### for 3 years. I am longing for it to end, so we can finally be together.

I hope that i'm just worried for nothing? Can anyone give me a little encouragement, that they might actually only take a couple of weeks like they said they would? Please! His interview was only Jan. 4.

Thanks,

Lucy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Got an email from the embassy they said they do not need the letter. So, why did one of the officers say he did? Did they argue about it behind scenes or what? "Yes, he needs it, No, he doesn't."

But now I'm really scared, they said his case is in AP. I hope too God that does not mean we will be waiting for months. I really don't understand AP. And why did they keep his passport if it will be a long time. God we've been going through this ####### for 3 years. I am longing for it to end, so we can finally be together.

I hope that i'm just worried for nothing? Can anyone give me a little encouragement, that they might actually only take a couple of weeks like they said they would? Please! His interview was only Jan. 4.

Thanks,

Lucy

If they said they didn't need it I certainly wouldn't send it to them. AP is almost always a given for an Arab, so don't be too stressed. The wait time does vary, but the fact that they kept the passport gives you the sign that they don't think that it will be very long of an AP. So just hang in there just a little longer.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

Thanks,

Lucy

If they said they didn't need it I certainly wouldn't send it to them. AP is almost always a given for an Arab, so don't be too stressed. The wait time does vary, but the fact that they kept the passport gives you the sign that they don't think that it will be very long of an AP. So just hang in there just a little longer.

Thank you so much for the encouragemet. I thought it was a good sign too. My husband was so happy he was on cloud 9. I tried to tell him without bursting his bubble it could be longer than they said it would be. But now he's discouraged too cuz the CO origianlly said in about a week and now it's been longer.

But when he called them, they told him it iwould be 10 working days at least and possibly up to 2 months. I guess it was just 10 working days today, nimus weekends and 2 holidays. God I hope it's not 2 months or more! I want good news this week!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.