KellyandNino

No sponsor. Any suggestions?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
anything that requires government assistant will be considered public charge....

Thanks! That's what I thought. I think my brother will feel better about becoming a co-sponsor...phew.

I wonder if there is a page anywhere on Visa Journeys site that goes into detail about the liability of a co-sponsor. In plain speak that is.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Why don't you :guides: ?????

n/m

my sentiments exactly....

Where is this elitist attitude coming from? I thought this was a forum to help...not judge. Just because I have a wonderful person that supports me in a dream I have had for almost 10 years now. Doesn't mean you need to post and pass judgment.

If you don't have any assistance to give...then post elsewhere. Not sure I understand the reason to post, "n/m" or "my sentiments exactly...".

It's not elitist dude, get over yourself. We were trying to help you. And I can post wherever I want. Deal with it.

Timeline

n/m

Where is this elitist attitude coming from? I thought this was a forum to help...not judge. Just because I have a wonderful person that supports me in a dream I have had for almost 10 years now. Doesn't mean you need to post and pass judgment.

If you don't have any assistance to give...then post elsewhere. Not sure I understand the reason to post, "n/m" or "my sentiments exactly...".

It's not elitist dude, get over yourself. We were trying to help you. And I can post wherever I want. Deal with it.

Calm down.

And I'm sorry, but where is posting "n/m" considered help? That response was not helpful at all.

Yes, you can post whatever you like. You are right. Have at it. ;-)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

play nice ;)

The I-134 is not a legally binding affidavit, it is used for non-immigrant visa's (such as K-1's) to help demonstrate that the alien fiance will not become a public charge.

A provision of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 created a new Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, which is much more extensive than the I-134, and creates a legal obligation on behalf of the person who signs it. This legal obligation means that the sponsored immigrants, the federal government or any state government can sue the sponsor if the sponsor fails to support the immigrant. The Affidavit is enforceable either until the immigrant naturalizes or has worked for ten years/40 quarters. This form will be filled out after marriage when Adjusting status in the U.S.

timeline.jpg

n/m

Calm down.

And I'm sorry, but where is posting "n/m" considered help? That response was not helpful at all.

Perhaps he posted something and saw the poster right above him gave the same info?

so he edited his post and put "n/m" which means "never mind" ....

A lot of people are giving you advice, here and in your initial thread.

You seem to have made up your mind to travel no matter what, so I don't know what you looking for, someone to say "that's a great idea!!!"?

As I said, I would recommend you put your travel plans on hold, get a decent job to support your new wife to be, then make plans then to travel once she is married with you.

She should be your main focus - but you will have to make the decision on what is more important, her or your travel plans.

Good luck in whichever you pick.

:thumbs:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

n/m

Calm down.

Perhaps he posted something and saw the poster right above him gave the same info?

so he edited his post and put "n/m" which means "never mind" ....

A lot of people are giving you advice, here and in your initial thread.

You seem to have made up your mind to travel no matter what, so I don't know what you looking for, someone to say "that's a great idea!!!"?

As I said, I would recommend you put your travel plans on hold, get a decent job to support your new wife to be, then make plans then to travel once she is married with you.

She should be your main focus - but you will have to make the decision on what is more important, her or your travel plans.

Good luck in whichever you pick.

I completely understand what "n/m" means. It just seemed unnecessary. Anyways...no biggie.

And no, I don't need validation that pursuing my dream is a "great idea". It's something I have discussed with her since the beginning of our 2 year relationship. Even before we had any idea we were going to need a K-1 Visa. She is very happy that I have the opportunity to do it. And I'm happy I have her support.

She is my main focus. Nothing about the decision to travel means I am deciding it is more important than her. If we don't get the visa, then I will move to South Africa. She is more important than anything.

The main point of my question in this thread, was not to get approval of my decision, but more so assistance on how I could time it properly. If the consensus is it would be close to impossible without a sponsor. Then I need to hunt for a sponsor. That's all. ;-)

N

Edited by KellyandNino

Timeline

On a side note, my girlfriend has a job in the U.S. that she is able to perform remotely. I secured this job for her before I left the company a while back. I did this before she left to South Africa last year, so that she wouldn't worry about work. She is a customer service agent that works from home.

So when she comes to the U.S., she will most likely have a job. Just wanted to add that info.

N

For me the most important thing has been my family relationship and I find the visa process is an necessary annoyance that I place behind the visa process.

Most people on this board however come here focused on getting through it as quickly as possible. So questions such as yours will be viewed differently depending on the posters perspective.

Good luck

Timeline
For me the most important thing has been my family relationship and I find the visa process is an necessary annoyance that I place behind the visa process.

Most people on this board however come here focused on getting through it as quickly as possible. So questions such as yours will be viewed differently depending on the posters perspective.

Good luck

Yea, I understand. Thank you. I know everything will work out. Obviously I'd rather not have to leave the U.S., but if it comes to it I will. It looks like getting that co-sponsor secured is the best idea at this point.

anything that requires government assistant will be considered public charge....

I thought it was only means-tested benefits.

I concur, though that's still a relatively large umbrella. The I-864 states:

If the immigrant sponsored in this affidavit does receive one

of the designated Federal, State or local means-tested public

benefits, the agency providing the benefit may request that

you repay the cost of those benefits. That agency can sue you

if the cost of the benefits provided is not repaid.

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

On a side note, my girlfriend has a job in the U.S. that she is able to perform remotely. I secured this job for her before I left the company a while back. I did this before she left to South Africa last year, so that she wouldn't worry about work. She is a customer service agent that works from home.

So when she comes to the U.S., she will most likely have a job. Just wanted to add that info.

N

Unless she gets a temporary work authorization stamp at her POE, she will not be able to work in the US when she enters w/ the K-1....not until after your marriage and adjusting status(AOS).

Also something for you to keep in mind, while the I-134 (the affidavit of support document for which you're looking to have your brother serve as a co-sponsor) is not binding, the I-864 is. The I-864 is the financial support document you will need when you're doing the AOS. For that, your income will have to be above the stated poverty guidelines for the size of your household in the year in question. So upon your return from your travels, your focus will not only be getting "some sort of job", but getting one that will guarantee you an income above the stated poverty guidelines.

Perhaps the reason you're getting so much advice telling you to re-think your extended travel plans, because the K-1 visa is only step one, so to speak. The AOS that follows is where you as the USC will have to more clearly prove that you're able to support your intending immigrant. Taking an extended 'vacation' before you even start this process may not put you in the best position to sponsor an immigrant, especially with the current state of the economy.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

While i'm sure the OP appreciates the concerns stated here and all the reasons 'why'.... he has clearly stated that he intends to travel whilst they await the process. Whether you agree, or not, please respect that this is his decision and respond accordingly. Thanks. ;)

timeline.jpg

Timeline

N

Unless she gets a temporary work authorization stamp at her POE, she will not be able to work in the US when she enters w/ the K-1....not until after your marriage and adjusting status(AOS).

Also something for you to keep in mind, while the I-134 (the affidavit of support document for which you're looking to have your brother serve as a co-sponsor) is not binding, the I-864 is. The I-864 is the financial support document you will need when you're doing the AOS. For that, your income will have to be above the stated poverty guidelines for the size of your household in the year in question. So upon your return from your travels, your focus will not only be getting "some sort of job", but getting one that will guarantee you an income above the stated poverty guidelines.

Perhaps the reason you're getting so much advice telling you to re-think your extended travel plans, because the K-1 visa is only step one, so to speak. The AOS that follows is where you as the USC will have to more clearly prove that you're able to support your intending immigrant. Taking an extended 'vacation' before you even start this process may not put you in the best position to sponsor an immigrant, especially with the current state of the economy.

-P

I understand and thank you for the expressed concern.

I know our economy is in shambles. And if I actually have trouble finding a job when I return, with my connections, then I'd rather move out of the country anyways. South Africa here I come. :-)

I was a Director of Community before I was laid off. I have tons of experience and many friends in influential positions. If I was at my wits end and needed a job to make at least 20 bucks an hour, I could easily get it. Unless of course all my friends were laid off as well...knock on wood. :-|

Since being laid off, I was offered 2 positions but turned them down. They weren't great opportunities given my background, but they paid a decent salary. I'm not really worried about employment...just the timing when I come back.

I guess my only concern, based on your feedback, would be how much time I would need to be employed before I file the I-864. My plan is to be back in June. I would be extremely surprised if I didn't have a decent paying job within 30 days.

Thanks again everyone.

N

Edited by KellyandNino

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

According the statement that you sign a sponsor must:

1. Provide the intending immigrant any support necessary to maintain him or her at an income that is at least 125 percentof the Federal Poverty Guidelines for his or her household size.

2. Consider your income and assets available to that person, in determining whether he or she is eligible for certain Federal means-tested public benefits and also for State or local means-tested public benefits.

A. This provision does not apply to public benefits specified in section 403© of the Welfare Reform Act such as, but notlimited to, emergency Medicaid, short-term, non-cash emergency relief; services provided under the National SchoolLunch and Child Nutrition Acts; immunizations and testing and treatment for communicable diseases; and means-tested programs under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

3. If the co-sponsor does not provide sufficient support the immigrant can sue them for that support.

4. If they do not supply the support and end up receiving a means-tested public benefit then the government can sue you for reimbursement.

So my reading of this is that this would not mainly include means-tested public benefits. You can also call the NVC and just ask. The last few times I have called them I have gotten the nicest and most helpful people on the phone.

Take care.

I-130
22-08-2008 Mailed I-130 from Thailand
17-04-2009 K-3 Interview - Approved: Was Issued CR1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-175
02-03-2011 Mailed I-751 from Michigan

3/21/2011- NOA1

4/18/2011-Biometrics

N-400
GC-Date: 5/1/09
Sent: 3/22/16
Cashd: 3/25/16
NOA: 3/25/16
Fprints: 4/22/16
In Line: 4/28/16
Int Ltr: 6/28/16
Interview:
Oath:
Field Office: Detroit

Divorced 11/19/2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.