Charles & Ai

I-864 Tax Returns - I only have 2 years worth

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Here is my dilemma,

My question is this:

Do I need 3 years of tax returns in order to proceed with the I-864?

I ask because I only have tax returns for 2004 & 2006. No taxes were filed for 2003 and 2005 (even though I had wages). I had no wage (full time student) so no taxes for 2007.

The Details:

I am fresh out of college and just finished my first year of working (2008). It is the time in the visa process for me to submit my paperwork for the I-864 and as such I must submit the past 3 years of Tax returns...the problem -

I only have Tax Returns for 2004 & 2006.

I was a full time student in 2007 so have nothing to file and no wages.

I did have wages to claim in 2005 & 2003 but did not (In past years my father always said "hand me your W2 and I will have our accountant do the taxes" which I did...well he just passed away 2 months ago so I can't ask why they weren't filed). When I called the IRS to get my past 3 returns I found out that 2003 and 2005 were never filed.

Let me start off by saying, I know I should have done my own taxes and taken more responsibility but I didn't and that is why I am here.

The IRS will send me W2's for 2003 & 2005. Should I file these and wait for them to clear before proceeding with the I-864?

Thank-you for the help again!

Charles & Ai

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

hey charles,

i had this same problem!!

i lived in wales for almost 2 years when we were applying for my husbands visa, so i only had one year of US taxes to show. i even got from the IRS a paper saying i didn't pay for those 2 years and why and at my hubbys interview that is what gave him the biggest problem (not his DUI!!). it was so dumb! since i could not show 3 years of taxes, i had to get my mom as a co-sponsor. that added on another month apart from my husband, but we finally got approved after they received my cosponsor paperwork.

to be safe, i would get your dad to co-sponsor.

i don't know if you are with your wife now, but not having the paperwork adds weeks onto the process because they are SOOOOO slow!!!

write me if you have more questions!!!

bee

bee (USA) & robbie (Wales)

2003 Sept03 met on a flight to Amsterdam

2004 Nov03 married! Cardiff, Wales

May05 mailed I-130 to Texas Service Center

Dec05 I-130 approved

May 09- case forwarded to London embassy

May 30- received interview date!!!!!!!

June 27-medical exam London

July 11- interview London: visa held, more paperwork required

July 13- courier p/u passport and paperwork

July 31- passport sent back- paperwork not acceptable

Aug 07- courier p/u passport and cosponsor paperwork

Aug 10- letter received, need co sponsor's proof of citizenship

Aug 14- sent in co sponsor's proof of citizenship

Aug 25- courier delivered passport/visa, nobody home!

Aug 29- passport w/ VISA successfully delivered!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 31- robbie flies to omaha USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sept 25- received SS#

Oct 31- received Permanent Residents card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.