KeyserandMe

Are there special considerations for DR filers with respect to K3 or CR1 case timelines?

8 posts in this topic

I am at the stage where I have submitted the I-130 and rec'd my NOA1. Now I'm still debating whether or not to send the 1-129f for my husband who's in the Dominican Republic. Many people are telling me that it'll be more expensive and not to waste my time with the K-3 because they are getting approved at the same time. But others are telling me that to get an interview it will probably be a longer wait if I go just the I-130 route.

I would just like to be with my husband soon. I've heard crazy stories of people waiting for years. Do you think that'll be the case now a days?

Please I need advise and help on this matter. I would like to hear more from my fellow VJ members whos spouses are in DR as well. But i'm open to advise from anyone.

Have a Blessed Day,

Ilana

Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keep you strong, Sorrows keep you human, Failures keep you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But only God keeps you going!

***Patience is a bitter plant, but it has sweet fruit!***

u6xhro7auav.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There isn't a separate filing fee for the I-129f with a K3 - So why not file it - If your I-130 is approved before the K1, then they will follow the CR/ IR route - It can't hurt, and if being together fast is what is important, I would try whichever way you think will work

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

There isn't a separate filing fee for the I-129f with a K3 - So why not file it - If your I-130 is approved before the K1, then they will follow the CR/ IR route - It can't hurt, and if being together fast is what is important, I would try whichever way you think will work

Yeah there isn't a fee to file the k-3 but they tell me that in the long run it'll be a little more expensive. So I don't know we'll see. Thank you though!

Have a Blessed Day,

Ilana

Happiness keeps you sweet, Trials keep you strong, Sorrows keep you human, Failures keep you humble, Success keeps you glowing, But only God keeps you going!

u6xhro7auav.png

Filed: Timeline
I am at the stage where I have submitted the I-130 and rec'd my NOA1. Now I'm still debating whether or not to send the 1-129f for my husband who's in the Dominican Republic. Many people are telling me that it'll be more expensive and not to waste my time with the K-3 because they are getting approved at the same time. But others are telling me that to get an interview it will probably be a longer wait if I go just the I-130 route.

I would just like to be with my husband soon. I've heard crazy stories of people waiting for years. Do you think that'll be the case now a days?

Please I need advise and help on this matter. I would like to hear more from my fellow VJ members whos spouses are in DR as well. But i'm open to advise from anyone.

Ilana,

I am not sure of the time line for DR. However, the CR-1 is better than the K-3. You will not have to do any paperwork for 2 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ilana,

Try to do a little bit more research and find out how long the US embassy in the DR is taking to approve CR1 visas. Yes, it's true that K3 visas can take just as long as CR1s for most people and are more expensive, but the DR is a special case since I've heard that CR1 visas can take over 3 years for some people. This is due to the amount of people waiting for an interview at the embassy.

Try to see if you can contact the US embassy there to find out an estimate of how long it may be for each visa (CR1 or K3) and then make your decision based on that.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Ilana,

Try to do a little bit more research and find out how long the US embassy in the DR is taking to approve CR1 visas. Yes, it's true that K3 visas can take just as long as CR1s for most people and are more expensive, but the DR is a special case since I've heard that CR1 visas can take over 3 years for some people. This is due to the amount of people waiting for an interview at the embassy.

Try to see if you can contact the US embassy there to find out an estimate of how long it may be for each visa (CR1 or K3) and then make your decision based on that.

Diana

Thanks Diana, I will try to call them tomorrow. So your saying to call the US embassy in DR directly? Will I even get to speak to someone you think?

Have a Blessed Day,

Ilana

u6xhro7auav.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, the delay happens right at the embassy, everything else goes nice and smooth, from the USCIS to the NVC. But when it gets to the embassy in DR, it's a huge waiting game so I would think they'd be the ones who should be able to tell you about how long the wait time is for each visa. It would at least be a starting point.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

• 2 weeks later...
Ilana,

Diana

Thanks Diana, I will try to call them tomorrow. So your saying to call the US embassy in DR directly? Will I even get to speak to someone you think?

I just file the I-130 as well for my husband in Dominican Republic and am contemplating the I-129F. Were you able to call the embassy in Santo Domingo? and if so can you share what they said?

USCIS

1/04/2009 - Married my other half

1/16/2009 - Mailed I130

1/27/2009 - NOA1

3/22/2009 - NOA2

NVC

3/31/2009 - NVC # Assigned

4/01/2009 - Called NVC and provided e-mail to representative

4/06/2009 - DS3032 and AOS Fee Generated

4/06/2009 - Emailed DS3032 from SO's e-mail account and paid AOS fee

4/07/2009 - AOS online receipt marked as paid, mailed out I864EZ

4/13/2009 - AOS Documents received and bieng reviewed

4/17/2009 - DS3032 Choice of Agent e-mail accepted

4/17/2009 - IV Bill generated and paid

4/19/2009 - IV Bill Marked Paid

4/20/2009 - Overnight DS230

4/23/2009 - DS230 Received and entered into the system, Review begins

5/01/2009 - CASE COMPLETE

8/18/2009 - Interview - Placed on AP 221(g)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.