Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  


4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada

Hi everyone, I am a Canadian living in the US with my husband who is a US citizen. I have a permanent residence card that I will need to remove the lifting conditions before Feb 2010.

My husband has been asked to relocate to Canada for work. Does this mean I lose my permanent residence in the US? Is there anyway I can keep that?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. :help:

K3 visa Approved and Received by mail June 26th/07

POE to the US on June 29th/07

AOS and EAD Process[/b]
Sent to Chiago lockbox on July 19th/07
Chiago lockbox received AOS and EAD package on July 23/07
Biometrics Appointment for both AOS and EAD completed Sept 13/07

EAD Approved Sept 21, 2007



AOS I-175 Form sent in November 2009
NOA received November 2009
Biometrics Date December 30, 2009
Approval Letter received February 2010
Received Permanant Resident Card February 24, 2010

N-400 Process

Sent Application February 16, 2015

Cheque Cashed February 18, 2015

NOA received March 06, 2015

Biometrics Appointment March 17, 2015

***INTERVIEW April 23, 2015***



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada

Permanent Resident Services

Maintaining Permanent Resident Status

Permanent residents who depart and remain outside the U.S. for more than 365 contiguous days risk losing their status and might need to undergo the entire petition and immigrant visa process anew if they wish to re-enter the U.S. as permanent residents. Permanent residents who obtain re-entry permits from USCIS prior to their departure from the U.S. may remain overseas for up to 2 years. Permanent residents who fail to file income tax returns while living outside the U.S. or who declare themselves as "non-immigrants" on tax returns may also lose their status.

Expired/Expiring green card

Permanent residents whose I-551 has expired or will expire within the next six months may renew their cards by filing Form I-90. A Form I-90 can be downloaded from the USCIS website. If you are outside the United States and your permanent resident card will expire within six months, (but you will be returning to the U.S. within one year of your departure and before the card expires), Form I-90 should be filed as soon as you return to the United States. If you are outside of the United States at the time of the card's expiration and have not applied for the renewal card prior to your departure, please contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office, 33 Garden Road, St. John's Building, 11th floor, tel: +852-2524-1136, public hours 9 - 11:30 am and 2 – 4:30 pm.

Re-Entry Permit

If you plan to stay outside of the U.S. for more than one year but less than two years in duration, a re-entry permit is needed for readmission. You must be physically present in the U.S. when you file the application (Form I-131). USCIS will send the re-entry permit to the address indicated on the form. You may opt to have the re-entry permit sent to the Consulate General for pickup. We will notify you when the permit has been received and you will need to appear at the Consulate General (in person) to collect the document. Departure from the U.S. before a decision is made on a re-entry permit application does not affect the application. link

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...