Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Changing Name, what to include in I-130 Documents?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I just became US citizen and has changed my First name in the N-400 Naturalization application. I now had the Naturalization Certificate with the new First name on it.

I'm going to file I-130 to sponsor for my parents. The I-130 application, section "What If My Name Change", said I need to include Legal Document to support/reflect the Name Change on the sponsor, me.

What documents do I need to show the proof of the Name Change beside the Naturalization Certificate?

Please advise.

Thank you very much.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

Documents like a copy of your certificate, if you've applied for a U.S. passport this would also work, any other documents you've had issued since changing your name (Drivers License, Library Card (im serious), etc. ).

Anything with your new name that is authentic will work, the more the better.

Note: A certificate of citizenship/naturalization contains a warning indicating it cannot be copied. However, for the purpose of an immigration benefit, it is acceptable to make a copy of the certificate of citizenship/naturalization.

I just work Tier I (civilian) customer service for USCIS and have been in many types of scenarios over the years. I am filled with Immigration knowledge.

I believe I can help make everyones process simpler by helping out, even if its something small like a forum

So, thats me. If you need help I may be able to assist feel free to PM me if I haven't seen your post yet.

USCIS Customer Service: 1 800 375 5283 (M-F 8AM-6PM in all US Timezones including territories)

In any case, I may be around from time to time. I understand the frustration that you guys go through over something that should be so much simpler.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you legally changed your name, yes you will include a court order the changed of names. Sometimes you can get a Certified Copy from the court... Both the old and new names need to be in turn in.

Honey Bun and Sweet Bun Forevermore

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...