Mike n Huong

Sworn Affidavit Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello to my fellow Visa Journey friends. I am gathering a few Sworn Affidavits. I am using the example supplied on VJ as my template. A woman in my office is a notary, so I had her look over a draft of an affidavit. She said it all looked good except she had one question.

Directly under where the person signs their name, there is a section which has the following:

STATE OF ______________ )

) ss.:

COUTY OF ______________ )

She stated that this area is for a state seal, which she doesn't have. So could someone please tell me how to handle the affidavits. Should this be left blank, and she just fills out the notary area? Or do I have to go somewhere to get them both?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I-129F Timeline:

03-10-06 - Sent I-129F to USCIS

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

11-22-06 - Got the Visa!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

02-14-07 - NOA1 (Sent to Missouri)

03-06-07 - Biometrics Appointment

03-07-07 - Transferred to CSC

05-03-07 - Card Production Ordered Email

05-10-07 - Green Card In Hand

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

03-09-09 - NOA1 (1 yr Extension)

04-08-09 - Biometrics

07-09-09 - Card Production Ordered Email

07-17-09 - Green Card In Hand

I-130 Filing for Step-Son

11-30-09 - Received at USCIS

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-05-10 - NVC Case # Assigned

03-09-10 - NVC Mailed DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-12-10 - Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

03-14-10 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee and IV Bill online

03-16-10 - NVC Website updated to PAID for both fee's

03-17-10 - Petitioner and Agent received emails to further proceed with case

08-05-10 - NVC Case Completed

10-27-10 - Interview PASSED

10-28-10 - Picked up Visa

Mike (United States) & Huong (Vietnam)

As far as I know the notary should have a state seal, normally in the form of a stamp. The notary that works in my office has a seal that is an embosser (leaves a raised stamp of the seal on the paper) while another notary copied the seal onto the affidavit by rubbing over her raised seal with pencil. We had 3 affidavits notarized by 3 different notaries and they all were able to produce a seal. Check with your bank, most banks have a notary that may be able to help you out, however the person that has written the affidavit and will be swearing to it must be present. But I would not leave it blank, the government may not consider it really notarized without a state seal.

good luck!

Hello to my fellow Visa Journey friends. I am gathering a few Sworn Affidavits. I am using the example supplied on VJ as my template. A woman in my office is a notary, so I had her look over a draft of an affidavit. She said it all looked good except she had one question.

Directly under where the person signs their name, there is a section which has the following:

) ss.:

She stated that this area is for a state seal, which she doesn't have. So could someone please tell me how to handle the affidavits. Should this be left blank, and she just fills out the notary area? Or do I have to go somewhere to get them both?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Dec 2003: Meet

Feb 2006: Start DCF

March 1st 2006: Receive I-130 packet and packet 3 in mail (AU)

March 6th 2006: Leave US for AU

April 15th 2006: MARRIED!

July 2006: Interview in Sydney AU (approved - pending fingerprints from Canada)

Oct 2006: Fingerprints FINALLY Arrive!

Nov 11 2006: Hubby comes to USA with Green Card

April 15th 2007: 1st Anniversary

April 15th 2008: 2nd Anniversary

Sept 2008: Begin I-751 to remove conditional stat.

Sept 10 2008: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Sept 15th 2008: Delivery Confirmation from USPS

Sept 20th 2008: NOA1

Dec 2nd 2008: Biometrics Appt. took all of 15 min

Dec 29th 2008: RFE

Jan 14th 2008: Send more evidence to CSC

Jan 30th 2008: Notice that 10 Year Green Card has been ordered

Feb 7th 2009: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

Timeline

Thanks Merp for your help. I know exactly the seal that you are talking about, it is a notary seal. On the Example affidavit form on VJ that is to be placed in the bottom left corner. THe location I am describing is a different location. I may have to just wait until one of our friends takes his to the bank to get notarized, and he can ask them.

Thanks again, and good luck to you also. I forgot how much work it was getting everything together.

Also I have 100 photos, how did you put these in the packet? Also did you write on the back of them as to the date, location and who is in the pic?

THanks,

Mike

As far as I know the notary should have a state seal, normally in the form of a stamp. The notary that works in my office has a seal that is an embosser (leaves a raised stamp of the seal on the paper) while another notary copied the seal onto the affidavit by rubbing over her raised seal with pencil. We had 3 affidavits notarized by 3 different notaries and they all were able to produce a seal. Check with your bank, most banks have a notary that may be able to help you out, however the person that has written the affidavit and will be swearing to it must be present. But I would not leave it blank, the government may not consider it really notarized without a state seal.

good luck!

) ss.:

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I-129F Timeline:

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

04-08-09 - Biometrics

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

ahh I know what you mean now, sorry, on our affidavits, the notary simply wrote the state and county there, and like you said placed the seal at the bottom with the other information.

WOW 100 photos!! go you! I had about 8 per year and I printed them 4 to a page with captions below the photos, something like - birthday party 2006, so and so visit the family for the holidays... nothing super complicated, as I personally think the photos are just extra evidence and since photos can be changed I doubt they put a whole lot of stock in them, but it's nice to have in your packet as extra evidence.

I know what you mean, it's a lot of work - but it's worth it :)

no worries

MERP

Thanks Merp for your help. I know exactly the seal that you are talking about, it is a notary seal. On the Example affidavit form on VJ that is to be placed in the bottom left corner. THe location I am describing is a different location. I may have to just wait until one of our friends takes his to the bank to get notarized, and he can ask them.

Thanks again, and good luck to you also. I forgot how much work it was getting everything together.

Also I have 100 photos, how did you put these in the packet? Also did you write on the back of them as to the date, location and who is in the pic?

THanks,

Mike

good luck!

) ss.:

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Dec 2003: Meet

Feb 2006: Start DCF

March 1st 2006: Receive I-130 packet and packet 3 in mail (AU)

March 6th 2006: Leave US for AU

April 15th 2006: MARRIED!

July 2006: Interview in Sydney AU (approved - pending fingerprints from Canada)

Oct 2006: Fingerprints FINALLY Arrive!

Nov 11 2006: Hubby comes to USA with Green Card

April 15th 2007: 1st Anniversary

April 15th 2008: 2nd Anniversary

Sept 2008: Begin I-751 to remove conditional stat.

Sept 10 2008: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Sept 15th 2008: Delivery Confirmation from USPS

Sept 20th 2008: NOA1

Dec 2nd 2008: Biometrics Appt. took all of 15 min

Dec 29th 2008: RFE

Jan 14th 2008: Send more evidence to CSC

Jan 30th 2008: Notice that 10 Year Green Card has been ordered

Feb 7th 2009: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

Hi,

If You are going to use the notarized document/affidavit in the US you don't need authentication from the Department of State. I don't think you even need it notarized but that is fine It looks better. If you use a legal document out of the country for international use you need a seal called Apostille that the Department of state puts to authenticate the validity of a notary piblic's signature: http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

So when my passport expired I needed a notarized authorization letter for my mom so she could go to the local office in my country and apply for my passport on my behalf but in order to accept it the local office need this paper legalized. Notary public's signature from US means nothing for them so I have sent it to the DS in the capital of my state because if you send it to the capital of your state it takes faster in comparison with the web site above. You find out what the address for authentication in your state is. They put Apostille (seal) and if you country has signed this convention they have to accept this document.

Timeline

That totally makes sense. I appreciate everyones help and may your journey be short and sweet!!!!

I-129F Timeline:

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

04-08-09 - Biometrics

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.