♥Stiggy♥

visiting the US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In a few months, Ill be going to the US when my boyfriend gets back from oversea's for his home-coming. We will be in California for a week, packing up his stuff, so he can move to his family's home state which is a 30 hour drive. I told him that week while he's packing up, etc Im also wanting to visit 3 other friends that I want to see while there, and also go to our churche's temple there (we dont have one close to where I am).

I dont want them giving me a hard time at the POE if I tell them Im visiting my bf.

If they ask for the purpose of my trip - if I say to visit... then they ask who Im visiting, should I just say "visiting friends and going to my churches temple (mormon)?"... and if they ask "what friends" should I just state my friends, and my boyfriend?

Last time I entered the US to visit my boyfriend I Got haggled at the POE at the airport, for a 10 day trip and it wasnt too pleasant. But I also think that had something to do with me entering 3 weeks prior, for a week.. and they were probably wondering why I was visiting again on such short notice. And the fact that I also didnt have my return ticket with me, only my E-ticket confirmation #, along with the fact that I dont have a job (im a stay at home mom till my children start school).

I keep hearing how people say only answer with yes and no, and dont volunteer info.

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

In a few months, Ill be going to the US when my boyfriend gets back from oversea's for his home-coming. We will be in California for a week, packing up his stuff, so he can move to his family's home state which is a 30 hour drive. I told him that week while he's packing up, etc Im also wanting to visit 3 other friends that I want to see while there, and also go to our churche's temple there (we dont have one close to where I am).

I dont want them giving me a hard time at the POE if I tell them Im visiting my bf.

If they ask for the purpose of my trip - if I say to visit... then they ask who Im visiting, should I just say "visiting friends and going to my churches temple (mormon)?"... and if they ask "what friends" should I just state my friends, and my boyfriend?

Last time I entered the US to visit my boyfriend I Got haggled at the POE at the airport, for a 10 day trip and it wasnt too pleasant. But I also think that had something to do with me entering 3 weeks prior, for a week.. and they were probably wondering why I was visiting again on such short notice. And the fact that I also didnt have my return ticket with me, only my E-ticket confirmation #, along with the fact that I dont have a job (im a stay at home mom till my children start school).

I keep hearing how people say only answer with yes and no, and dont volunteer info.

I've never had a problem, when they ask purpose of visit, I just say visiting friends. I keep my answers to yes and no. Good luck.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you already filed the K-1? If so, when asked you should say that you are going to visit your fiance for xxx amount of time and you will be returning on such and such a date. Have a copy of your K-1 application with you so you can show you are going through the proper procedure. Bring along proof of your ties to Canada as well. Any time you try to 'avoid' the truth at the border and they find out - either through questioning or whatever - it can come back to bite you. If they ask who are your friends, then you will have to say 'boyfriend' and if they ask are you engaged, then it becomes 'fiance' and soon it looks like you were trying to hide information at the border - which, in fact, you are. Make it easy on yourself by volunteering 'useful' information and the truth. You don't give volunteer unuseful information and you don't give extra information, but do say how long you are going for and the date you will return. It will actually work in your favour.

I visited my now husband a number of times while we were waiting for the K-1 to process. Each time I was honest and had my file folder of documents proving my ties to Canada. I was pulled into secondary twice but when they saw the K-1 information they closed up the files, returned everything to me and said I was good to go.

Be honest. Look them straight in the eye and be confident. The best confidence comes when you are telling the truth.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Nope, we havent filed for the K1 yet, we cant until I receive my divorce documents (takes 12 months + 30 days), and I wont get that until the spring.

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Timeline

When I go through customs I always say that I am going to visit my boyfriend and in the same sentence I mention the number of days. I've never had any problem and in 2008 I made trips to the US in July, October and December. >_< Just don't ever lie to them, they will find out D:

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.