Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

What is required for fiance to work in US?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany

Hi Everyone,

My fiance will be completing his K1 - US Embassy interview at the end of the month. He'll be moving to the US in early April. Once we're married, is an EAD and SSN the only things he'll need to be begin working in the US? Or are there any other forms, authorizations needed?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Country: Germany

Just his EAD and SSN, but it can sometimes take 3 months to get the EAD.


Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!


"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China


Note K-1 should file for EAD with or after filing to adjust status.

EAD based on pending AOS (I-485) costs nothing and is valid for 1 year, EAD alone filed for based on K-1 costs $340, and expires 90 days after entry to the USA on the K-1, is not renewable, and tends to take about 90 days or so to get, thus a USELESS $340 EAD.

NOTE: K-1 is not a work visa, it is a fiancee visa for entry to the USA and marriage, K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not.

Moving to working/traveling prior to green-card forum.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...