LorriQ

Looking for Opinions Re AOS

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Been lurking and searching and am wondering about a few things - all opinions please!

The temporary EAD is really not worth risking winter weather conditions up north to me, but am I right in assuming it will help with the SS application?

And if so, can't we get the temp EAD at the local immigration office by making an appt thru infopass?

From what I have read the SS card will be marked "with proper authorization" for work, so does it matter if we file for it before AOS or after AOS? What is the difference?

Planning entry into the US during the last week of Jan.

Marriage scheduled for March 20.

Plan on filing AOS in April.

Thanks!

Timeline:

3/11/08 I 129 F filed

3/20/08 NOA1

6/20/08 NOA2

7/05/08 Packet 3

12/22/08 Interview

12/29/08 Visa Delivered

1/26/08 POE

3/20/08 Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

K-1 is considered to be "Work-Auth" with or without EAD stamp. You can apply for SSN without the stamp, we did.

USCIS will NOT issue a temp EAD stamp at local office.

NOTE: K-1 is not a work visa, it is a fiancee visa for entry to the USA and marriage, K-1 is "Work Auth" primarily to be able to get the SSN, some states are strict in their interpretation of a federal law that requires persons applying for a "license" to have SSN, this can cause a problem with marriage license if only one person has SSN and the other (the K-1 holder) does not.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

As a K1, you can get a SSN. You can't work on it until you get EAD. You don't need the temp permit to get the SSN.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Wasn't to concerned about the work permit - figured it was going to take 6 months for the 2 year EAD anyway!

Getting married in FL - non resident for both of us, looking pretty simple on that app - they will be happy with his passport and my drivers license and both our birth cert's.

My thought was it would be better for us to go to the SS office together, him for the first time and me for the name change. And to do this before filing for AOS, but got confused reading other threads regarding expiration of the I-94 and trying to get the ss# 14 days before said expiration.

If I understand correctly, it is better for him to file for ss# upon arrival and get it out of the way - yes? And then I can just change my name through snail mail later on.

Will his ss card always say "work allowed with proper authorization"?

Timeline:

3/11/08 I 129 F filed

3/20/08 NOA1

6/20/08 NOA2

7/05/08 Packet 3

12/22/08 Interview

12/29/08 Visa Delivered

1/26/08 POE

3/20/08 Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Wasn't to concerned about the work permit - figured it was going to take 6 months for the 2 year EAD anyway!

Getting married in FL - non resident for both of us, looking pretty simple on that app - they will be happy with his passport and my drivers license and both our birth cert's.

My thought was it would be better for us to go to the SS office together, him for the first time and me for the name change. And to do this before filing for AOS, but got confused reading other threads regarding expiration of the I-94 and trying to get the ss# 14 days before said expiration.

If I understand correctly, it is better for him to file for ss# upon arrival and get it out of the way - yes? And then I can just change my name through snail mail later on.

Yes the card will always say "With DHS auth", only after getting a green-card can you get that notation removed.

Note, wait 10 days or so after entry before attempting to get SSN, it takes that long for USCIS to update database used by SSA to confirm immigrations status.

Moving to Working/Traveling prior to green-card forum.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Yes the card will always say "With DHS auth", only after getting a green-card can you get that notation removed.

Note, wait 10 days or so after entry before attempting to get SSN, it takes that long for USCIS to update database used by SSA to confirm immigrations status.

Moving to Working/Traveling prior to green-card forum.

Questions answered! Thanks!!!! :thumbs:

Timeline:

3/11/08 I 129 F filed

3/20/08 NOA1

6/20/08 NOA2

7/05/08 Packet 3

12/22/08 Interview

12/29/08 Visa Delivered

1/26/08 POE

3/20/08 Wedding

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.