Conan

Young Fiance?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Well this is something I wasn't aware of until I read this thread ... so thanks to the thread creator lol ... ( my fiance is 20, so I guess this is another document we will have to get )

Holy cow! Where are you all meeting these teenage Filipina's at? Is there a club?

yes its an invite only club.

:lol::thumbs: Hopefully that is true for most.

Well this is something I wasn't aware of until I read this thread ... so thanks to the thread creator lol ... ( my fiance is 20, so I guess this is another document we will have to get )

Holy cow! Where are you all meeting these teenage Filipina's at? Is there a club?

Well lucky for us we don't have that big of a age gap lol .... but to answer your question ... I met my fiance through a family member who is married to a philipina .... thus we were introduced and here we are :)

The funny thing about my situation is I was not interested in this kind of ( long distance ) relationship at all .... matter of fact my mind was totally against getting involved in a long distance relationship..... originally I agreed to talk to her merely as a friend .... it is ironic how things happen in a persons life sometimes, I guess it is true you just never know when or how you will finally find the person you've always waited for.

Good for you. :) Did you have any hesitations because of her age?

No none ....

Interesting. Do you know many people from your generation getting married at 20? Just my observation, but it doesn't seem to be very common nowadays. People got married that young out of necessity, but in today's world, getting a college degree out of the way first seems more of a necessity.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

in reality, if an older can marry a 20 yr old...he would. why wouldn't he?

Fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love...

K1 (I-129F) to CSC to Manila Embassy, Philippines

Sent : 01-28-2006 / Interview: 09-14-2006 / POE: 10-11-2006 / Applied for SSN card: 11-17-2006 / Received SSN card: 11-27-2006 / Got Hitched: 11-09-2006 !!!

AOS and EAD Application

Sent via USPS Priority: 11-28-2006 / Received @ Chicago: 12-01-2006 / NOA1 AOS & EAD: 12-06-2006 / Biometrics Appt: 12-22-2006 / Interview Date: 03-13-2007 / EAD Card Production Ordered: 02-15-2007 / EAD Card Sent: 02-20-2007 / EAD Card Received: 02-22-2007

[Approved: 03-13-2007 / GC Received: 03-22-2007 / CA License Issued: 04-12-2007 / Removing Conditions: 12-13-2008]

Removing Conditions

Sent via USPS Priority: 12-19-2008 / Received @ CSC: 12-22-2008 / NOA: 12-25-2008 / Biometrics Appt: 01-14-2009 / Card Production ordered: 02-13-2009 / GC Received: sometime in March 2009

Timeline

Because most 20 yr. old's I've known over the years (both men and women) aren't really ready for marriage...and the ones that do marry, often end up divorcing.

I am 29 and my fiance is 19. I read somewhere that in the Philippines a person has to be 21 to get married without parental consent. I already filed at the USCIS. Do I have to have heard dad type up a statement and sign it? If so do I only have to supply this to the Embassy in Manila? Is there a sample parental consent form? Does it have to be notorized? Thanks

Conan...I think that would make since to do what you've suggested....just my opinion.

I hope this will help with regards to parental consent. I got these from the Family Code of the Philippines.

Art. 14. In case either or both of the contracting parties, not having been emancipated by a previous marriage, are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one, they shall, in addition to the requirements of the preceding articles, exhibit to the local civil registrar, the consent to their marriage of their father, mother, surviving parent or guardian, or persons having legal charge of them, in the order mentioned. Such consent shall be manifested in writing by the interested party, who personally appears before the proper local civil registrar, or in the form of an affidavit made in the presence of two witnesses and attested before any official authorized by law to administer oaths. The personal manifestation shall be recorded in both applications for marriage license, and the affidavit, if one is executed instead, shall be attached to said applications. (61a)

Art. 15. Any contracting party between the age of twenty-one and twenty-five shall be obliged to ask their parents or guardian for advice upon the intended marriage. If they do not obtain such advice, or if it be unfavorable, the marriage license shall not be issued till after three months following the completion of the publication of the application therefor. A sworn statement by the contracting parties to the effect that such advice has been sought, together with the written advice given, if any, shall be attached to the application for marriage license. Should the parents or guardian refuse to give any advice, this fact shall be stated in the sworn statement. (62a)

Art. 16. In the cases where parental consent or parental advice is needed, the party or parties concerned shall, in addition to the requirements of the preceding articles, attach a certificate issued by a priest, imam or minister authorized to solemnize marriage under Article 7 of this Code or a marriage counselor duly accredited by the proper government agency to the effect that the contracting parties have undergone marriage counseling. Failure to attach said certificates of marriage counseling shall suspend the issuance of the marriage license for a period of three months from the completion of the publication of the application. Issuance of the marriage license within the prohibited period shall subject the issuing officer to administrative sanctions but shall not affect the validity of the marriage.

Should only one of the contracting parties need parental consent or parental advice, the other party must be present at the counseling referred to in the preceding paragraph. (n)

Based from my experience, the age requirement in order for a person to contract marriage is 18.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

:secret:

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
We did Parental Consent due to my fiance being 20.

It is needed for CFO only, USEM will not ask for it

You can get a lawyer in PI to draw it up and notarize it, pretty cheap compared to USA.

Philippine family code (if I can rember correct)

Age 18 to 21 - Must have Parental Consent

Age 22-25 Must have Parental Advisement

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

vAYw-19x.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

vAYw-195.jpg

vAYw-19t.jpg?height=640&scale=max&width=640

Because most 20 yr. old's I've known over the years (both men and women) aren't really ready for marriage...and the ones that do marry, often end up divorcing.

I will second that, given my failed previous marriage at 19 to an American woman of 22.

Having said that, these are much different circumstances, and I firmly believe that Southeast Asian women are much more mature that Americans at this age.

I will second that, given my failed previous marriage at 19 to an American woman of 22.

Having said that, these are much different circumstances, and I firmly believe that Southeast Asian women are much more mature that Americans at this age.

I strongly agree....... :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So i guess i'm in the same boat also. My fiance will be 20 in Feb. So that means i'm gonna need a parental consent form AND a letter from a priest? Do i have to be present for any of that stuff being signed? Do i have to attend marriage counseling classes in the philippines? Man, this is a trip.

29ngqhd.jpg

Timeline
So i guess i'm in the same boat also. My fiance will be 20 in Feb. So that means i'm gonna need a parental consent form AND a letter from a priest? Do i have to be present for any of that stuff being signed? Do i have to attend marriage counseling classes in the philippines? Man, this is a trip.

It's a trip to be marrying someone who's barely an adult without even considering their age an issue. Even with Filipino/Filipina marriages in the PI, it's rare to see someone that young marrying. Every couple has their own reasons for getting married when they do, but you should prepare yourself for a lot of hurdles now and in the future. Getting married that young is playing against the odds, and with the divorce rate in America already high, the future looks bleak.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Well this is something I wasn't aware of until I read this thread ... so thanks to the thread creator lol ... ( my fiancé is 20, so I guess this is another document we will have to get )

Over 18 is legal..duh :wow::bonk: there is such a thing as age gap relationships and they DO work. just because your closer in age is not guarantee that it will work. I would suggest taking your prozac and stop assuming these folks are hunting young girls mate. I am an older woman with a younger man and HE chased me I never chased him..been together over 2 years and loving it...maybe you should TRY it before ya knock it down :thumbs::whistle:

Edited by Cham

1000718m.th.jpg

07/15/08[/font] Sent off I 129F

07/17/08 Arrived and picked up by CSC

07/25/08 NOA-1 FINALLY!!!!

07/31/08 CHECK WAS CASHED!

07/28/08 touched!!

12/08/08 NOA2 FINALLY!

12/13/08 NOA2 received in the mail

12/18/08 Called NVC at (603)334-0700 and talked to a nice lady named Rose. Our case was received on the13th and was sent out to sydney...WE WILL SEE!

12/13/08 NVC received letter and said they sent out to Sydney

12/18/08 received letter in the mail from NVC.

12/19/08 another letter from NVC stating it was shipped out

12/24/08 ARRIVED IN SYDNEY at 10:26 am and signed by tom

12/29/08 CONFIRMED it is at Sydney and Good ol Tom did sign for it LOL THANKS TOM!!

12/29/08 Sydney waiting for paper file from nvc and has it requested

12/31/08 Sydney confirmed through email that the paper file was received

01/05/09 His police checks are done and sent off!!

01/28/09 Kai went to his medicals forgot one of his passport pics and needs two more shots all was good!

2/18/09 medicals ready to be picked

2/20/09 packet 3 sent in

2/26/09 pkt 3 received today takes UP to 10 days

04/07/09 interview....APPROVED!!!!

04/20/09 He flew in ..flight was changed he was 3 hours late BUT HE IS HOME

port of entry took 2 mins!! LOL

04/25/09 WE ARE MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

It's a trip to be marrying someone who's barely an adult without even considering their age an issue. Even with Filipino/Filipina marriages in the PI, it's rare to see someone that young marrying. Every couple has their own reasons for getting married when they do, but you should prepare yourself for a lot of hurdles now and in the future. Getting married that young is playing against the odds, and with the divorce rate in America already high, the future looks bleak.

check the divorce rates most are closer in AGE then in age gaps...Not sure where your from but there is MANY relationships that work in age gaps You are more then welcome to visit agelesslove.com and find out for yourself. Instead of judging why not get to know them and realize OUR relationship works JUST like any other. Like I stated before JUST because you are closer in age OR older does not make you more mature OR guarantee it will work. I was married to someone MY age for 10 years..he beat me and was a jerk..I met Kai and have NEVER been happy..So come join us there and FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF instead of judging Being OLDER does not make you more mature..I know several folks over 30 over 40 over 50 who are so immature they act like they are 12! It depends on what you experienced as well..I know many younger adults who have gone through more then older folks and have their ####### together..Kai is young..he went through HEAPS he is well educated and is a chef now. My ex is a loser he is 45 and watches nascar while drinking and blames the world...

HMMM

Think about it...age is a number toots..

:thumbs::dance:

1000718m.th.jpg

07/15/08[/font] Sent off I 129F

07/17/08 Arrived and picked up by CSC

07/25/08 NOA-1 FINALLY!!!!

07/31/08 CHECK WAS CASHED!

07/28/08 touched!!

12/08/08 NOA2 FINALLY!

12/13/08 NOA2 received in the mail

12/18/08 Called NVC at (603)334-0700 and talked to a nice lady named Rose. Our case was received on the13th and was sent out to sydney...WE WILL SEE!

12/13/08 NVC received letter and said they sent out to Sydney

12/18/08 received letter in the mail from NVC.

12/19/08 another letter from NVC stating it was shipped out

12/24/08 ARRIVED IN SYDNEY at 10:26 am and signed by tom

12/29/08 CONFIRMED it is at Sydney and Good ol Tom did sign for it LOL THANKS TOM!!

12/29/08 Sydney waiting for paper file from nvc and has it requested

12/31/08 Sydney confirmed through email that the paper file was received

01/05/09 His police checks are done and sent off!!

01/28/09 Kai went to his medicals forgot one of his passport pics and needs two more shots all was good!

2/18/09 medicals ready to be picked

2/20/09 packet 3 sent in

2/26/09 pkt 3 received today takes UP to 10 days

04/07/09 interview....APPROVED!!!!

04/20/09 He flew in ..flight was changed he was 3 hours late BUT HE IS HOME

port of entry took 2 mins!! LOL

04/25/09 WE ARE MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
I am 29 and my fiance is 19. I read somewhere that in the Philippines a person has to be 21 to get married without parental consent. I already filed at the USCIS. Do I have to have heard dad type up a statement and sign it? If so do I only have to supply this to the Embassy in Manila? Is there a sample parental consent form? Does it have to be notorized? Thanks

Conan...I think that would make since to do what you've suggested....just my opinion.

I hope this will help with regards to parental consent. I got these from the Family Code of the Philippines.

Art. 14. In case either or both of the contracting parties, not having been emancipated by a previous marriage, are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one, they shall, in addition to the requirements of the preceding articles, exhibit to the local civil registrar, the consent to their marriage of their father, mother, surviving parent or guardian, or persons having legal charge of them, in the order mentioned. Such consent shall be manifested in writing by the interested party, who personally appears before the proper local civil registrar, or in the form of an affidavit made in the presence of two witnesses and attested before any official authorized by law to administer oaths. The personal manifestation shall be recorded in both applications for marriage license, and the affidavit, if one is executed instead, shall be attached to said applications. (61a)

Art. 15. Any contracting party between the age of twenty-one and twenty-five shall be obliged to ask their parents or guardian for advice upon the intended marriage. If they do not obtain such advice, or if it be unfavorable, the marriage license shall not be issued till after three months following the completion of the publication of the application therefor. A sworn statement by the contracting parties to the effect that such advice has been sought, together with the written advice given, if any, shall be attached to the application for marriage license. Should the parents or guardian refuse to give any advice, this fact shall be stated in the sworn statement. (62a)

Art. 16. In the cases where parental consent or parental advice is needed, the party or parties concerned shall, in addition to the requirements of the preceding articles, attach a certificate issued by a priest, imam or minister authorized to solemnize marriage under Article 7 of this Code or a marriage counselor duly accredited by the proper government agency to the effect that the contracting parties have undergone marriage counseling. Failure to attach said certificates of marriage counseling shall suspend the issuance of the marriage license for a period of three months from the completion of the publication of the application. Issuance of the marriage license within the prohibited period shall subject the issuing officer to administrative sanctions but shall not affect the validity of the marriage.

Should only one of the contracting parties need parental consent or parental advice, the other party must be present at the counseling referred to in the preceding paragraph. (n)

Based from my experience, the age requirement in order for a person to contract marriage is 18.

OK...but hold on a second. This appears to be requirements for a marriage license issued in the Phils. The original poster is applying for a K-1 visa - which means he'll have a marriage license issued in the USA. Do these requirements apply if the marriage is to take place in the USA? I would think not.

Timeline
Well this is something I wasn't aware of until I read this thread ... so thanks to the thread creator lol ... ( my fiancé is 20, so I guess this is another document we will have to get )

Over 18 is legal..duh :wow::bonk: there is such a thing as age gap relationships and they DO work. just because your closer in age is not guarantee that it will work. I would suggest taking your prozac and stop assuming these folks are hunting young girls mate. I am an older woman with a younger man and HE chased me I never chased him..been together over 2 years and loving it...maybe you should TRY it before ya knock it down :thumbs::whistle:

Age gap is not the issue but the age, or more importantly, the emotional maturity of these young Filipinas. It is obviously a big enough concern for the PI Gov't. as well for them to require parental consent for young women under the age of 21. I don't know any parent of a 20 yr. old girl living here in the states who wouldn't take great pause with news of them wanting to marry, let alone to a foreigner, requiring they leave their country. The parental consent is one extra step that can help provide a cushion of reason with these marriages.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.