believeinluck

A question about IMBRA

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Should this law only affect couples that met through an agency or Internet? We met a regular way on my trip to Russia. Please let me know someone who knows.

It affects everyone, regardless of how you met.

I agree the law was created to cut down on the Mail order bride issue. However everyone is effected, no matter how they met or whether the male or female is the USC. We all are going to have to give them permission for background check and answer the questions "Did we use a marriage broker? and Does the USC have a criminal conviction?" If you have to answer yes to either of those questions you are going to have to answer a lot of questions and I expect that your time line will lengthen accordingly.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Should this law only affect couples that met through an agency or Internet? We met a regular way on my trip to Russia. Please let me know someone who knows.

I agree the law was created to cut down on the Mail order bride issue. However everyone is effected, no matter how they met or whether the male or female is the USC. We all are going to have to give them permission for background check and answer the questions "Did we use a marriage broker? and Does the USC have a criminal conviction?" If you have to answer yes to either of those questions you are going to have to answer a lot of questions and I expect that your time line will lengthen accordingly.

What exactly is a marriage broker?

I-129F Timeline

07-14-06-I-129F Sent

07-16-06-I-129F Arrived in Chicago

07-20-06-I-129F NOA 1

07-27-06-Touched

10-23-06-Touched

11-18-06-Touched

11-22-06-Touched

11-24-06-Approved

11-27-06-Touched

12-04-06-NVC Received

12-06-06-NVC Left

12-14-06-Arrived at Consulate

01-04-07-Packet 3 Received

01-05-07-Packet 3 Sent

01-10-07-Medical Examination

02-13-07-Interview in Johannesburg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you everyone!!!!!!

What exactly is a marriage broker?

Marriage broker could be some kind of dating agency.

Timeline

Understandable...but what does this mean??? that they are going to RFE EVERYONE who submitted after March 6th to get this permission/statement? Or only those who submit with the new application when it is released? I dont understand why the application of this law is so vague to all of us...

Sent in I-129F..................March 17th

NOA1 from CSC................March22

RFE recieved....................June 28th

RFE returned....................June 29th

RFE receipt by CSC ...........July 5th

Touched..........................July 26th

Touhced..........................July 27th

NOA2.............................July 31st...after 132 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Packet 3 sent...................August 22nd

Medical...........................September 9th

Interview........................October 4th!!!!!!!

Timeline

Understandable...but what does this mean??? that they are going to RFE EVERYONE who submitted after March 6th to get this permission/statement? Or only those who submit with the new application when it is released? I dont understand why the application of this law is so vague to all of us...

There are no definite answers yet. However by what everyone has been able to piece together. Sometime in the next month, those that have petitions on file will be required to answer some questions. If you have ever been convicted of a crime, your fiancee can now be told during her interview. Also if you have been convicted of certain crimes, you will have to get a waiver to even have your visa request approved. Also there are now limits on the number of times that you can submit a request for a fiancee visa. Last but not least if you went thru a marriage broker (any agency that you paid money to set up meetings whether on internet, phone or in person) you will probably have a harder time proving an ongoing relationship. This law was enacted to stop TIP (trafficing in persons) under international agreement with the signatories of the Hague convention. The nasty thing is that we are all being punished for it.

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

Timeline

I met my wife on Eharmony.. I wonder if that could be considered a marriage broker...

I-129F Timeline

07-14-06-I-129F Sent

07-20-06-I-129F NOA 1

07-27-06-Touched

10-23-06-Touched

11-18-06-Touched

11-22-06-Touched

11-24-06-Approved

11-27-06-Touched

12-04-06-NVC Received

12-06-06-NVC Left

01-05-07-Packet 3 Sent

Timeline

Why will answering "yes" subject you to a great level of questioning? I assume USCIS asks this question on the form to track the agencies involved and try to make sure they comply with IMBRA, specifically gathering the customers background information. The "match.coms" and "Yahoo personals" are removed from complying probably because they would fight it and they have a lot more money to spend on lawyers than the smaller sites, although people will argue that they are not an international dating agency. "Match.com" probably has more foreigners listed than all the "international" sites combined.

Timeline
I met my wife on Eharmony.. I wonder if that could be considered a marriage broker...

Did you pay to use the site? If so you used a marriage broker.

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

Timeline

Yes I had to pay to use the site, so I guess I used a marriage broker even though dating sites are a FAR CRY from the mail order bride stuff, but I guess it doesn't matter..

I-129F Timeline

07-14-06-I-129F Sent

07-20-06-I-129F NOA 1

07-27-06-Touched

10-23-06-Touched

11-18-06-Touched

11-22-06-Touched

11-24-06-Approved

11-27-06-Touched

12-04-06-NVC Received

12-06-06-NVC Left

01-05-07-Packet 3 Sent

Timeline

Well Eharmony does not have to comply with IMBRA and gather background information on their clients. I guess it's not really relevant from a petitioners point of view due to the fact that no matter how you met the petitioner must go through the criminal background check process.

Filed: Country: Belgium
Timeline

Marriage broker was worded very vaguely so that it could pull in all internet online dating agencies is my bet. Whether or not match.com or other personals are included won't be decided until court for a while down the line. Basically if you met online, you can either risk a flaw in documentation and go with the first time you met in person, or just say you met through an online dating service and have all the other documentation ready. My bet is that given the intentions behind the act that they will ask the extra information from everybody. The law is created for everyone who met through international marriage brokers or have applied for more than one K1 visa, if so you require the extra checks.

Timeline

They already tried fighting, The marriage broker industry is multi million dollar industry. They lost their first court battles. Places such as yahoo, Aol, and the like arent the ones that the government is really after, try typing in asian brides, europeon brides etc. Those are the ones they would like to see shut down. Not argueing right or wrong here. (although I do have my opinion I will keep it to myself to avoid offending anyone) just telling you what the situation is.

Remember criminal background and marriage broker questions are separate. There is nothing official about how they will handle marriage broker initiated romances. Criminal background and number of times you have submitted fiancee visa request is pretty well set in stone.

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

Timeline

They already tried fighting, The marriage broker industry is multi million dollar industry. They lost their first court battles. Places such as yahoo, Aol, and the like arent the ones that the government is really after, try typing in asian brides, europeon brides etc. Those are the ones they would like to see shut down. Not argueing right or wrong here. (although I do have my opinion I will keep it to myself to avoid offending anyone) just telling you what the situation is.

Remember criminal background and marriage broker questions are separate. There is nothing official about how they will handle marriage broker initiated romances. Criminal background and number of times you have submitted fiancee visa request is pretty well set in stone.

I have no criminal record and have never applied for any K1 visa. I just got married in April and didn't know about any of this stuff..

I-129F Timeline

07-14-06-I-129F Sent

07-20-06-I-129F NOA 1

07-27-06-Touched

10-23-06-Touched

11-18-06-Touched

11-22-06-Touched

11-24-06-Approved

11-27-06-Touched

12-04-06-NVC Received

12-06-06-NVC Left

01-05-07-Packet 3 Sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.