Izoom

FL Driver's License

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
When I arrived in FL as a tourist I went to the DMV and was able to get a "temporary" (1 yr) driver's license with my passport and Canadian DL. They did the eye test and that was it, no problem!

Canadians are allowed a Florida State only driver's license (meaning you can drive in Florida but nowhere else) with proof of citizenship. However, the immigration visa and I-94 within the passport invalidates the special license and we are required to apply as a regular non US citizen.

I was given the option to surrender my Canadian license which would make the FL license valid in all states. I chose not to. When I got the license I didn't know I was going to get married so I don't know about how AOS or any other visa affects getting a DL or the terms of the DL.

My Husband just got his FL DL in August. He was not asked to surrender his Canadian license. He was given 2 options.

- He could have the 'Florida Only' license (as krikit mentioned) - and keep his Canadian license.

- He could just have a regular drive anywhere you like license - but they would cut the corner off his Canadian license (which is what he chose).

Granted a license with a small piece off the corner isn't really useful - but anyway, just gives you some idea of what to expect in terms of having to relinquish your Canadian DL.

Edited by trailmix

Hi Danielle Justin.

Im from FL and was in the same situation year ago. I used my international DL (from czech, valid 1 year) until I got FL DL.

I was asked at DMV to change my name at SSA first because in their system they found only my maiden name. I was told to wait about 3 days after the change they didnt need to see my new SS card with married name (got it 2 weeks later). So I went to SSA same day and showed them I-797a or c - it was NOtice of Action - that USCIS received my applications, with that they were able to change my name and following week I went to get my FL DL and got it. They wont change the name without NOA I think coz we are immigrants.

Good luck!

MARRIED Dec 22, 2007

AOS

Jan 10, 2008 - AOS/EAD/AP Submitted to Chicago

Jan 16, 2008 - AOS/EAD/AP Notice of Action 3x

Feb 1, 2008 - AOS Transfer to California

Feb 23, 2008 - received NOA for BIO App.

March 5, 2008 - AP I-131 - approval sent

March 11, 2008 - AP received with wrong date of birth

March 12, 2008 - applying again for AP

March 18, 2008 - Biometrics Appointment Tampa (for I-485 & I-765)

March 21, 2008 - EAD Card Production Ordered

March 25, 2008 - EAD Approval Notice sent

April 23, 2008 - AOS Card Production Ordered

April 23, 2008 - Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident

April 29, 2008 - Received GREEN CARD

Sept 21, 2009 - Divorce

Dec 9, 2009 - I left USA to go back home

Filed: Timeline
So I went to SSA same day and showed them I-797a or c - it was Notice of Action - that USCIS received my applications, with that they were able to change my name and following week I went to get my FL DL and got it.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I don't think SSA corrected your SSN record based on a Notice of Action. If they did, someone f**ked up.

RM 00203.450 Evidence of Nonimmigrant Status for an SSN Card

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203450

A. Policy - General

Each alien lawfully admitted as a nonimmigrant should have an unexpired immigration document as evidence of his/her status. A letter from U.S. immigration authorities, receipt, copy of an application form or any immigration document not listed in this subchapter is not acceptable evidence of alien status in lieu of the appropriate immigration document.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was thinking that I quit...

I read on the previous page that she and I only need to bring our official copy of the marriage license and another fully completed SSN application to the SSA office.

That will be sufficient for them to make the alteration. I've been doing most of the driving lately, so the whole DL issue isn't urgent, but it would be nice to have an ID

such as that to have on hand.

Right now I'm focusing on getting the applications signed, dated and filled out for the AOS submission. The sooner I get that ball rolling the better!

USA_a.gif

Filed: Timeline
I was thinking that I quit...

I read on the previous page that she and I only need to bring our official copy of the marriage license and another fully completed SSN application to the SSA office.

That will be sufficient for them to make the alteration.

If she only wants to correct the name to her married name, the marriage certificate is all she needs if it has her age or date of birth that can be compared to the current SSN record. No card will be issued without proof of current work authorization.

my I - 94 was still valid at the time of changing the name with SSA. ... I know its hard, sometimes they dont even know what they do. i was there with one of my friend, she came as me on K-1 visa and they refused to give her SS #. I tried to explain to her, that I got it and she can get it too as a K-1 holder with valis I-94 and she still refused. she came back there later with her husband and got it (in maiden name, coz they didnt have paper work done yet). Depends on arguments and mood...

MARRIED Dec 22, 2007

AOS

Jan 10, 2008 - AOS/EAD/AP Submitted to Chicago

Jan 16, 2008 - AOS/EAD/AP Notice of Action 3x

Feb 1, 2008 - AOS Transfer to California

Feb 23, 2008 - received NOA for BIO App.

March 5, 2008 - AP I-131 - approval sent

March 11, 2008 - AP received with wrong date of birth

March 12, 2008 - applying again for AP

March 18, 2008 - Biometrics Appointment Tampa (for I-485 & I-765)

March 21, 2008 - EAD Card Production Ordered

March 25, 2008 - EAD Approval Notice sent

April 23, 2008 - AOS Card Production Ordered

April 23, 2008 - Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident

April 29, 2008 - Received GREEN CARD

Sept 21, 2009 - Divorce

Dec 9, 2009 - I left USA to go back home

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.