malego77

PTCB exam preparation

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all, I am looking for information related with the study guide to get the Pharmacy Technician certification. If somebody has any information or free books to share me I really appreciate that.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I have a career (master in Basic Pharmacology) related with Pharmacy in my homecountry, Mexico. I know that get the certification as a Pharmacist would be more difficult and expensive that get the certification for a tech. I now that the PTCB is going to change the rules to get the certification, is that true?

Thank you so much.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey

Don't you need to pass the 5 Pharmacist board exams before practicing as a Pharmacist? And I think a degree in Pharmacy (PharmD) would be needed... although your degree from México could be enough to qualify you for the boards.

With that said... the technician level certificates are not as hard to obtain but yes... you'd do well going to a couple of public libraries in your area to see if you can get the reference study books to study from. Just remember that the basic drug names are pretty much the same but you'll be doing FDA rules and the like in English.

Other than that you may just want to invest in getting one of the Kaplan guides.

Suerte!

My aunt is a pharmacist and so I asked her about this. She said a lot of the stores like Walgreens or CVS pay for your certification and testing and give on the job training for pharmacy techs.

Or this is another option. :)

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
My aunt is a pharmacist and so I asked her about this. She said a lot of the stores like Walgreens or CVS pay for your certification and testing and give on the job training for pharmacy techs.

That's true. The only problem with this is that they make you sign a contract for 1-2 yrs after you get your certification, and the payment is low (I think they try to make you refound at any way).

Actually, I work for waltmart. This week I got the opportunity as a cashier in the pharmacy. The only problem is the training as a Tech is going to take a little longer than 6 months or when the pharmacist will offer me the opportunity for the training (She knows I am very interested on it).

I know that PTCB is going to change the rules. You cannot get your Phatmacy Tech certification as "easy" as now, because in order to get it you will need to go to school for 1-2 years (I am not sure about it but at least two person have told me about it).

My worry now is to get the certification ASAP but I need to study. Tha's why I am asking for any guide (free is better) you can share me.

Timeline

That's true. The only problem with this is that they make you sign a contract for 1-2 yrs after you get your certification, and the payment is low (I think they try to make you refound at any way).

Actually, I work for waltmart. This week I got the opportunity as a cashier in the pharmacy. The only problem is the training as a Tech is going to take a little longer than 6 months or when the pharmacist will offer me the opportunity for the training (She knows I am very interested on it).

I know that PTCB is going to change the rules. You cannot get your Phatmacy Tech certification as "easy" as now, because in order to get it you will need to go to school for 1-2 years (I am not sure about it but at least two person have told me about it).

My worry now is to get the certification ASAP but I need to study. Tha's why I am asking for any guide (free is better) you can share me.

And your current education (master) isn't sufficient to have evaluated here in the US? Try having your academic credentials evaluated. ECE, WES, etc. No more than $200 to do that. You might even be in for a pleasant surprise.

Timeline

And your current education (master) isn't sufficient to have evaluated here in the US? Try having your academic credentials evaluated. ECE, WES, etc. No more than $200 to do that. You might even be in for a pleasant surprise.

You are OK. And according to me, I have enough knowledge to pass the examination (but I don't even know how hard is it). Also, to take the NABPLEX examination I need to have a good score in English (TOEFL). I have to say that I am not fluent in English yet, and I am working hard to be. Also, I know that the regulations and laws for pharmacies in US are very different from my country, that's why I want to re-study by myself before I get frustrated because I didn't pass the test.

I thought about Tech because its faster than the pharmacist certification, furthermore, the pharmacist certification will require I take more classes in order to get enough credits to be a certified Phamacist...

I need to organize my mind and all my fears to decide to go for the big challenge, but in the way, I'd like to be a tech at least I'll be earning more than a cashier as I am now...

Edited by malego77

Timeline

You are OK. And according to me, I have enough knowledge to pass the examination (but I don't even know how hard is it). Also, to take the NABPLEX examination I need to have a good score in English (TOEFL). I have to say that I am not fluent in English yet, and I am working hard to be. Also, I know that the regulations and laws for pharmacies in US are very different from my country, that's why I want to re-study by myself before I get frustrated because I didn't pass the test.

I thought about Tech because its faster than the pharmacist certification, furthermore, the pharmacist certification will require I take more classes in order to get enough credits to be a certified Phamacist...

I need to organize my mind and all my fears to decide to go for the big challenge, but in the way, I'd like to be a tech at least I'll be earning more than a cashier as I am now...

Yeah... con eso tienes razón...

Best wishes with your certification. I know a couple of pharm techs that were able to do it from '0' in about 1 year... so as long as you can find a way to bring forward your academic training (www.ece.org certifies foreign Medical Professionals for $250) and get an employer to subsidize your tech certification, then perhaps 1-2 years as a tech might be good because in that time you can also begin your ideas towards the big Pharmacist certifications. And it gives you time to practicar tú inglés. ;)

Éxito.

Timeline

Yeah... con eso tienes razón...

Best wishes with your certification. I know a couple of pharm techs that were able to do it from '0' in about 1 year... so as long as you can find a way to bring forward your academic training (www.ece.org certifies foreign Medical Professionals for $250) and get an employer to subsidize your tech certification, then perhaps 1-2 years as a tech might be good because in that time you can also begin your ideas towards the big Pharmacist certifications. And it gives you time to practicar tú inglés. ;)

Éxito.

Gracias por todo! Que tengas excelente dia.

If anyone has ideas/knowledge about pharmacy Tehc preparation books, please let me know. I'll really appreciate that.

Edited by malego77

Timeline

No hay de qué.

Hey, Google up Pharm Technician Preparation Free. I just got some interesting hits with 'free' materials. Don't know how much that would save you compared to checking out a public library or even going to a bookstore and just reading the book(s) in house if you're trying to save cash.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

hello...i just took my PTCB exam last february and i passed... im a pharmacist in my country and working to sit for fpgee exam in october...they said exam is different from one taker to another..some will have more computation some dont...lucky for me i have the computation part...( which i like) i used MOSBY book...and took some online free test for PTCB...

hope it helped.

;)