Jack & Xuan

E-mailing the embassy

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Xuan and I have been waiting for 2 months now since she turned all of the extra documents they requested at her interveiw. I have e-mailed the embassy 2 time, once when she turned the documents in and once about 1 month ago. Each time I got polite responces, each different but both pretty much just say, we will let her know when we decide to make a decision. My questions is does anyone think it would help, hurt or make no difference if I continue to email the embassy expressing our plans for marriage and how we have continued to change them as a result of the delay? And our commitment to see the process through to the end. Any thoughts?

Jack & Xuan

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F NOA1 : 3/10/08

I-129F NOA2 : 7/17/08

NVC Left : 7/25/08

Consulate Received : 8/4/08

Packet 3 Received : 8/8/08

Packet 4 Received : 9/12/08

Interview Date : 10/7/08

Received Green Sheet: 10/7/08

Turned in requested doc's for Green Sheet: 10/15/08

Got blue slip that says to wait for decision: 10/15/08

Still Waiting on a decision 11/22/08

Stilllll Waiting on a decision 2/2/09

Got a call with questions from the embassy3/9/09

Request sent to State Dept. to remove ineligibility status: 4/19/09

Approval letter recieved: 4/25/09

Pink Sheet: 4/27/09

Visa Received : 5/19/09

US Entry : 5/21/09

Marriage : 5/27/09

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I remember there was a VJer who emailed HCMC everyday until his wife came to the US :)

NO, the answer is NO, email them as much as you like. That's what email is there for a reason: communicate!

You ask question, they can choose to answer or ignore... However, HCMC staff members will answer EVERY inquiry email you send. I know I did send no less than 20 emails in the 90 days waiting period before the schedule interview date.

So, send email! Plus, It just shows you do care and give a....!!!! :thumbs: Which you do, don't you?

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Timeline
I remember there was a VJer who emailed HCMC everyday until his wife came to the US :)

NO, the answer is NO, email them as much as you like. That's what email is there for a reason: communicate!

You ask question, they can choose to answer or ignore... However, HCMC staff members will answer EVERY inquiry email you send. I know I did send no less than 20 emails in the 90 days waiting period before the schedule interview date.

So, send email! Plus, It just shows you do care and give a....!!!! :thumbs: Which you do, don't you?

Thank you for your advice. I just sent my third email and I will continue to send them untill we have a result. I may send one every 2 weeks now instead of once a month.

Jack & Xuan

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi ChuckandKim - what were the nature of your 20 emails in 90 days? Specific questions or something else? I am very curious... thanks

Grahm&Sarah

Timeline

1. Introduce myself, establish line of communication

2. Giving list of items they should expect to receive from USCIS

3. Notify them that I knew USCIS has sent the package to HCMC

4. Asking for Receipt of the package in HCMC (just asking, didn't expect to get an answer)

5. Asking for "is it there yet?"

6. Asking would they let me know when it's there? (not to expect an answer)

7-15. What's the ETA?

15. What's the ETA for interview schedule?

16. When is it sent out?

17. Any news?

18. Are we there yet?

19. What's the hold up?

20. Thank you so much, we got Package 3

and on and on and on....

If you get a "form-response letter" you're not getting the attention you wanted :) But that's just me, I got laid of during the filing, so free time on hand while working on my resume and between job interview. I channel my energy toward Kim's K-1 Visa application and following up daily :) Just because I had nothing else to do but that! :)

Hope that helps, I only did what I thought was best at the time... Maybe it changes now at HCMC.

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think over emailing them can be good but it may also have a negative effect as well.

it can be good because "it show that you do care and give a ...." (chuckandkim 2008) :)

however, all those emails will get to a brother. they become annoying. how many times do i have to tell you we are still processing your case and to wait. What part of wait don't you understand.

but this can also wrok in your favor. the worker can also push your case along to stop getting those emails.

do what you feels needs to be done. there isn't a magic number. good luck man

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1. Introduce myself, establish line of communication

2. Giving list of items they should expect to receive from USCIS

3. Notify them that I knew USCIS has sent the package to HCMC

4. Asking for Receipt of the package in HCMC (just asking, didn't expect to get an answer)

5. Asking for "is it there yet?"

6. Asking would they let me know when it's there? (not to expect an answer)

7-15. What's the ETA?

15. What's the ETA for interview schedule?

16. When is it sent out?

17. Any news?

18. Are we there yet?

19. What's the hold up?

20. Thank you so much, we got Package 3

and on and on and on....

If you get a "form-response letter" you're not getting the attention you wanted :) But that's just me, I got laid of during the filing, so free time on hand while working on my resume and between job interview. I channel my energy toward Kim's K-1 Visa application and following up daily :) Just because I had nothing else to do but that! :)

Hope that helps, I only did what I thought was best at the time... Maybe it changes now at HCMC.

Hi, do you have the email address for the HCMC consulate? I assume you have it committed to memory already! :star:

Jonas

Timeline

I thought I did, but it was 4 years plus since that time. However, nothing you can't find online :)

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/general_information3.html

Information Unit

General Information

The Information Unit of the Consular Section handles all public inquiries regarding both immigrant and nonimmigrant visa information.

For answers to frequently asked questions, go to the nonimmigrant visa FAQ or the immigrant visa FAQ pages.

All inquiries should include the applicant's full name, date of birth, mailing address, telephone number, petitioner's name, and HCM or ODP case number, if any. Once we receive your inquiry, please allow 4 to 5 working days for a response.

E-mail Address:

hcmcinfo@state.gov

Telephone Number:

(84-8) 3520-4200/ 3520-4220 The Information Unit receives phone calls from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Thursday, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Fax Number:

(84-8) 3520-4235

Street Address:

U.S. Consulate General

Consular Section Information Unit

4 Le Duan, District 1

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Our Information Booth located at 4 Le Duan Street is open from 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except Friday, from 10:00 am to 11:00 am. Applicants may come to the Information Booth to request information and forms or ask questions about the visa process. Due to the high volume of cases handled by our Consular Section, consular officers are not available to speak with individual petitioners in person. If you have case-specific questions, you may e-mail, mail, or fax your inquiry to the Information Unit.

Mailing Address for letters sent via the U.S. Postal Service only:

U.S. Consulate General

PSC 461 Box 500

FPO, AP 96521-0002

The U.S. Consulate General is closed on Vietnamese and American holidays.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
I thought I did, but it was 4 years plus since that time. However, nothing you can't find online :)

http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov/general_information3.html

Information Unit

General Information

The Information Unit of the Consular Section handles all public inquiries regarding both immigrant and nonimmigrant visa information.

For answers to frequently asked questions, go to the nonimmigrant visa FAQ or the immigrant visa FAQ pages.

All inquiries should include the applicant's full name, date of birth, mailing address, telephone number, petitioner's name, and HCM or ODP case number, if any. Once we receive your inquiry, please allow 4 to 5 working days for a response.

E-mail Address:

hcmcinfo@state.gov

Telephone Number:

(84-8) 3520-4200/ 3520-4220 The Information Unit receives phone calls from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:00 p.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Thursday, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Fax Number:

(84-8) 3520-4235

Street Address:

U.S. Consulate General

4 Le Duan, District 1

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam Our Information Booth located at 4 Le Duan Street is open from 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except Friday, from 10:00 am to 11:00 am. Applicants may come to the Information Booth to request information and forms or ask questions about the visa process. Due to the high volume of cases handled by our Consular Section, consular officers are not available to speak with individual petitioners in person. If you have case-specific questions, you may e-mail, mail, or fax your inquiry to the Information Unit.

Mailing Address for letters sent via the U.S. Postal Service only:

U.S. Consulate General

PSC 461 Box 500

FPO, AP 96521-0002

The U.S. Consulate General is closed on Vietnamese and American holidays.

THANKS CHUCKANDKIM! You are a great resource to VJ, I hope you will stick around eventhough now your wife is an official American! :thumbs:

Last question (for this moment, LOL) Can packet 3/4 be picked up at the consulate vs. waiting for it in the mail? Since I am here in VN with Phuong, it might be nice to go there together (for 1) and (for 2) her house has had problems receiving mail in the past (all my letters to her were never received! :angry: )

Thanks again

Jonas

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
THANKS CHUCKANDKIM! You are a great resource to VJ, I hope you will stick around eventhough now your wife is an official American! :thumbs:

Last question (for this moment, LOL) Can packet 3/4 be picked up at the consulate vs. waiting for it in the mail? Since I am here in VN with Phuong, it might be nice to go there together (for 1) and (for 2) her house has had problems receiving mail in the past (all my letters to her were never received! :angry: )

Thanks again

Jonas

Yes, you can pick up those things in person, and it is in fact preferable to do so, as the mails are, as you say, not as nice as in the U.S.A.

Timeline
Xuan and I have been waiting for 2 months now since she turned all of the extra documents they requested at her interveiw. I have e-mailed the embassy 2 time, once when she turned the documents in and once about 1 month ago. Each time I got polite responces, each different but both pretty much just say, we will let her know when we decide to make a decision. My questions is does anyone think it would help, hurt or make no difference if I continue to email the embassy expressing our plans for marriage and how we have continued to change them as a result of the delay? And our commitment to see the process through to the end. Any thoughts?

Jack,

I am in the same boat. I was told about 2 months and it has now been 5 months. I would say that you should be persistent but not overly persistent. I usually check in about 2 times a month but usually get the same response. The last response I received was not very encouraging. I think that the hardest thing is just waiting and not knowing what or when a decision will be reached.

Happy Holidays!!

4432.gif

4977653_bodyshot_300x400.gif4980295_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Timeline

Jack,

I am in the same boat. I was told about 2 months and it has now been 5 months. I would say that you should be persistent but not overly persistent. I usually check in about 2 times a month but usually get the same response. The last response I received was not very encouraging. I think that the hardest thing is just waiting and not knowing what or when a decision will be reached.

Happy Holidays!!

I just got another reply that said there are many waiting on review and they will be done in the order they were received. Since you have been waiting 5 months then I guess we have at least 3 more to wait. That is not good but at least I have some frame of time to use now. I have been working on a business degree and I think I should be done sometime late next year. If we still have not gotten the Visa by then I am just going to off load my things here and move to Siagon. I have had my resume up on VietnamWorks.com for about 6 months and have had some hits on it. Since I am still here and I do not have my degree yet I have not gotten any bites. I hope that will change once I get that piece of paper that says that I really do know what I am doing. Thanks for the input.

Merry Christmas.

Jack & Xuan

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.