jhunjhun

Canadian/Saskatchewan Driver's License use in USA

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you think it's more practical to use my Saskatchewan DL here in USA? I just got my NOA1 for my AOS and some told me that I can use that to apply for DL here in US. My Saskatchewan DL will going to expire on Feb. 2009. I asked my sister back in Canada to renew my licence for nxt year (Feb 2009 to Feb 2010) which she did and it's on its way here. In the other words, my Saskatchewan driver's licence will expires on Feb 2010. Im afraid that if I aplied for AZ DL, they will take my Saskatchewan DL....if they will grant me for a DL..it's only good for 6 months since i'm still waiting for the approval. Do you think it's more convenient to use my Saskatchewan Dl while I'm driving here in USA? Or I need to apply for AZ DL even it's only good for 6 months? Any inputs will be apprecited!!! thanks a lot in advance.

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

It's different state by state. In Texas, you're supposed to get a TX driver's license within 30 days. But that's for people moving from other states to Texas. For me, I was allowed to use my foreign (BC) driver's license for 1 year in Texas.

You'll have to dig through AZ's driver's license webpages to find the info out.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
It's different state by state. In Texas, you're supposed to get a TX driver's license within 30 days. But that's for people moving from other states to Texas. For me, I was allowed to use my foreign (BC) driver's license for 1 year in Texas.

I'm moving to Texas when I get my K3 approved. I just emailed them and asked etc. I will probably need to get my texas driver's license as soon as I have my SSN. Until then I will just drive backstreets..... I am not excited about driving in Houston..... rural Saskatchewan vs 4th largest city in the US! This may take time to get use too.

Gail & John

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Field Office: Houston, TX

Consulate : Vancouver, Canada

Marriage : 2007-10-06

I-130 Sent : 2008-01-23

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-29

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-11

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-01

Waited and Worried: February - October!

Submitted Address change: 2008-10-18

Touch: 2008-10-20

Touch: 2008-10-21

I-130 Approval : 2008-11-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-11-03

NVC Received : 2008-11-08

NVC Left : 2008-11-10

Consolate Received: 2008-11-18

Package 3 Received: 2008-11-25

Package 3 Returned to Consulate: 2008-11-26

Interview date: 2009-01-07

K3 Visa received: 2009-01-08

Date of Entry to USA: 2009-02-25

AOS Date Filed : 2010-08-11

NOA Date : 2010-08-19

Bio. Appt. : 2010-10-01

Interview Date : 2010-11-15

RFE: 2010-11-24

RFE returned and signed for: 2010-12-01

Approval / Denial Date : 2010-12-14

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received: 2010-12-24

N-400 sent: 2015-04-18

Bio. Appt.: 2015-05-27

Interview date: 2015-08-10

Approval / Denial Date: 2015-09-10

Approved: Yes

Oath Ceramony: 2015-09-23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Do you think it's more practical to use my Saskatchewan DL here in USA? I just got my NOA1 for my AOS and some told me that I can use that to apply for DL here in US. My Saskatchewan DL will going to expire on Feb. 2009. I asked my sister back in Canada to renew my licence for nxt year (Feb 2009 to Feb 2010) which she did and it's on its way here. In the other words, my Saskatchewan driver's licence will expires on Feb 2010. Im afraid that if I aplied for AZ DL, they will take my Saskatchewan DL....if they will grant me for a DL..it's only good for 6 months since i'm still waiting for the approval. Do you think it's more convenient to use my Saskatchewan Dl while I'm driving here in USA? Or I need to apply for AZ DL even it's only good for 6 months? Any inputs will be apprecited!!! thanks a lot in advance.

Well what are the laws in the state of AZ? Can you even get a Driver's license without a SSN and a green card?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Well what are the laws in the state of AZ? Can you even get a Driver's license without a SSN and a green card?

I got my AZ driver's license today. I only showed them my CDN passport, driver's license and biometric letter. In addition, I was asked to take the written exam and I passed. They dod not even punch my CDn driver's lince. My AZ license is good for 1 year. :yes:

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

I'm moving to Texas when I get my K3 approved. I just emailed them and asked etc. I will probably need to get my texas driver's license as soon as I have my SSN. Until then I will just drive backstreets..... I am not excited about driving in Houston..... rural Saskatchewan vs 4th largest city in the US! This may take time to get use too.

I'm not sure if you will be able to get a TX driver's license with just the SSN. I believe you need to be a resident or have an I-94 that doesn't expire for at least 6 months. Then again they do offer non-resident driver's licenses (different shape than a regular license).

With the 1 year of foreign license legally allowed in TX, I wasn't in a major hurry to get mine. Although I must say that the $24 for a 7 year license with no drivers or written test was nice. Registering your car will require a mammoth amount of paperwork.

Houston isn't too bad. The biggest difference I noticed is that people do U-turns absolutely everywhere! So watch out when you're making a right hand turn at a stop light that the person in the horizontal lane to you isn't also doing a U-turn at the same time. The highways require a bit more attention than you're used to. Just watch for people turning into the same lane as you at the same time. Otherwise, you'll do fine.

Edited by Texanadian

lawg,

1) How long can I drive with an out-of-country driver license?

Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S.

There you go. Personally I liked waiting until the year was nearly up. Why pay for a year of driving here when you've already paid for the year with your Saskatchewan license? On the other hand, having a TX driver's license is handy when you need picture I.D. (banks and bars) Although I used my green card for that purpose. Used my passport before I had the green card for bank I.D. Even then you only need I.D for when you're withdrawing money. I just used a bank machine instead for those times.

Another reason to wait until you have a green card is that then you'll get the regular driver's license like everybody else. The temporary licenses they give to non-residents is only 1 year long.

Edited by Texanadian

I know nothing about Texas. I'm sure you know now from the postings that each state is different. I came from SK as well, and as a MO resident, I was supposed to get a DL within 30 days, however, I couldn't get a MO license without my GC. Sooooooooooo I said oh well, and continued to drive with me SK license until I got my GC. I figured if I got pulled over, I'd play dumb.

carlahmsb4.gif

I know nothing about Texas. I'm sure you know now from the postings that each state is different. I came from SK as well, and as a MO resident, I was supposed to get a DL within 30 days, however, I couldn't get a MO license without my GC. Sooooooooooo I said oh well, and continued to drive with me SK license until I got my GC. I figured if I got pulled over, I'd play dumb.

i just have a question, my lisence exprires feb 2009 and i will be in az by then, when can i get a lisence there? do i have to wait till we're married? do i have to have a ssn? or do i just go in when i get there and get it?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

i just have a question, my lisence exprires feb 2009 and i will be in az by then, when can i get a lisence there? do i have to wait till we're married? do i have to have a ssn? or do i just go in when i get there and get it?

Every state is different and has different DMV rules.

For instance just yesterday I was able to obtain a FL drivers license by just showing my CDN license, passport and NOA.

I would call your local office and they will let you know for sure.

9137.gif

AOS Timeline

11/18/08 - I-130 Package sent

11/20/08 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12/01/08 - Money Order Cashed

12/05/08 - Received all 3 NOA's dated November 28th

12/10/08 - Touched

12/11/08 - Received Biometrics appointment dated 12/05/08

12/19/08 - Biometrics Appointment (Completed!)

12/19/08 - Touched

12/22/08 - Touched

01/22/09 - EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/09 - 2nd Email for EAD Card prodcution

02/02/09 - EAD Arrives in the mail (Yay!)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For instance just yesterday I was able to obtain a FL drivers license by just showing my CDN license, passport and NOA.

Brian, did they cut the corner off of your Canadian license?

Timeline

Brian, did they cut the corner off of your Canadian license?

They took it because it was 2 months expired. So I have no idea :/

9137.gif

AOS Timeline

12/10/08 - Touched

12/19/08 - Touched

12/22/08 - Touched

Timeline

I got my AZ driver's license last week. I showed them my Canadian passport, Canadian driver's license (my Saskatchewan DL will expires Feb 2009), and my NSC Bio appt letter. I paid $10 to take the written exam (I passed) and they took my picture for my AZ driver's license. My AZ driver's license is good for 1 year. AZ DMV didn't take or punch my Saskatchewan driver's license. Anyways, I'm adjusting my status from Canadian Visitor.

Timeline

I got my AZ driver's license last week. I showed them my Canadian passport, Canadian driver's license (my Saskatchewan DL will expires Feb 2009), and my NSC Bio appt letter. I paid $10 to take the written exam (I passed) and they took my picture for my AZ driver's license. My AZ driver's license is good for 1 year. AZ DMV didn't take or punch my Saskatchewan driver's license. Anyways, I'm adjusting my status from Canadian Visitor.

Almost exactly the same thing I did. Except FL does not require Canadians to take the written or driven test. I showed them the exact same ID as you did though.

They took my license because it was expired. I am adjusting from an overstayed visit.

9137.gif

AOS Timeline

12/10/08 - Touched

12/19/08 - Touched

12/22/08 - Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.