trablus

Married in Canada...now in U.S...next steps...

23 posts in this topic

Welcome,

I can only tell you what we have done. Got married in the USA, I am staying for 176 days, filed for Spousal Visa CR-1 while I am here. Returning to Canada to wait for visa - January 3, 2009. After waiting 7 years, I am not willing to risk any delay or possible ban on entering the USA. I contact brsdcanada here at VJ, and he offered sound advise regarding staying in USA and adjusting status.

Janet

The sooner he files the sooner you can come legally, and yes the CR-1 is the better visa - except for the trip to Montreal to attend the interview.

Good luck in your journey to be with your loved one.

Janet

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

And because you're already married, and the wedding took place in Canada, you have no legal basis to stay and adjust status. Had you gone to the US for a visit, and then decided spontaneously to get married, and then stay to adjust status, that is legal. However, already being married, entering the country as a visitor with intent to immigrate is Not legal. You will have to return to Canada and wait out the process, or risk being deported and banned from the country.

Ohhhh totally missed that point, yeah if you were married in Canada, you can't use your Canadian marriage licence to file. I missed that big point. Even further puts a huge red flag up here...

Can we say this? Another VJ member Delicia is doing that right now - and she and her Husband were married in Canada.

I'm not trying to be annoying about this, just want to be sure we are giving the correct information.

There is no law that says you cannot use your Canadian marriage license to file, that I am aware of, does anyone have a link or anything to information that states this?

If a couple are married and say the Husband is living in Canada and the wife in the U.S. and the Husband visits the U.S. and 'spontaneously' decides to stay (immigrate) - I don't see where they would not be able to just adjust status - the 'marriage' part of it has nothing to do with the AOS.

The only issue is the intent when entering the U.S. (I am not saying you wouldn't have a heck of a time proving that though!)

I haven't read through the entire thread here so sorry if I am being pedantic, but yes, Trailmix, I believe you are completely correct here. Intent means intent to immigrate, not intent to marry. Anyone can come here to marry anybody. That's why Vegas does a roaring trade. Technically you could be married in Canada, come to the US to visit (intending perhaps to immigrate later, or not immigrate at all—maybe your partner was planning on coming to Canada, etc) and then change your mind and file for AOS from the US. There are lots of VJ members doing this right now. But of course you are going to be scrutinized to ensure you are not just taking a shortcut and that there was no intent. Your marriage license can be from Timbucktoo, it does not matter.

Having a marriage license from Timbucktoo would be cool.

Edited by bluegreen

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You could use the Canadian marriage license to file, but it is FAR more risky as the bar of evidence to prove non-immigrant intent at entry would be more difficult to gather. The conventional wisdom is that those who are married to USC's have immigrant intent, i.e they will eventually wish to be together at some point in time. The challenge is to show that the intent did not exist at that entry.

How would the OP handle questioning from a AO along the lines of what was said at the border during the AOS interview. Did the OP exclude any pertinent information that would change a CBP officer's determination of the eligibility for entry. Did the OP commit a material misrepresentation by either deliberately giving misleading information or by wilfully concealing information. It's a high stakes situation with a very bad result if you happen to roll snake eyes by getting the AO that wants to probe into the legality of the entry. Losing that game results in immediate removal with a permanent ban on entering the US with no option for a waiver.

I know that is a situation I wouldn't want to put myself in if I could help it. But I'm not the OP.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Now if you were to go 2 weeks after being married in Canada and file for AOS in the USA that would be very very suspicious.

She would have a hard time doing this because of the intent. If I am already married and I go to the US, I'm more than certain the PO is going to think I'm intending to BE with my husband.

That was my point :D

9137.gif

AOS Timeline

11/18/08 - I-130 Package sent

11/20/08 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12/01/08 - Money Order Cashed

12/05/08 - Received all 3 NOA's dated November 28th

12/10/08 - Touched

12/11/08 - Received Biometrics appointment dated 12/05/08

12/19/08 - Biometrics Appointment (Completed!)

12/19/08 - Touched

12/22/08 - Touched

01/22/09 - EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/09 - 2nd Email for EAD Card prodcution

02/02/09 - EAD Arrives in the mail (Yay!)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The whole thing about where the marriage was is not the issue, it's the fact that if she was in the US trying to file for AOS and at the interview they will ask to see all documentation. When presenting the Canadian certificate, the question will then arise of how she legally got into the US. This is what the red flag is about, not the location.

Yes you can get married anywhere, but must file the proper documents before moving into the US. In this case that was not done and can easily come up showing more proof that she entered ilegally. If it had been a US marriage certificate, then they would be more lenient thinking you could have just come across without intent on a vacation and would up getting married. Being married to a USC and living with him in the US you need the proper documents to be here. So this will cause a red flag for them even more so now that the immigration intent was there when they crossed the border, but had no qualifying visa or status to legally allow them to be here.

That is what the point I was trying to get across with the marriage licence in this situation...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline
Welcome,

I can only tell you what we have done. Got married in the USA, I am staying for 176 days, filed for Spousal Visa CR-1 while I am here. Returning to Canada to wait for visa - January 3, 2009. After waiting 7 years, I am not willing to risk any delay or possible ban on entering the USA. I contact brsdcanada here at VJ, and he offered sound advise regarding staying in USA and adjusting status.

Janet

The sooner he files the sooner you can come legally, and yes the CR-1 is the better visa - except for the trip to Montreal to attend the interview.

Good luck in your journey to be with your loved one.

Janet

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

At this point, I am in the US with the intention to return back to Canada once the vistor's visa I have expires. If I filed for a CR-1 within the next week, would the issue of the intent of my travel to the US still be an issue? or do I need to return to Canada and then file for the CR-1?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No, you can file now.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline
You could use the Canadian marriage license to file, but it is FAR more risky as the bar of evidence to prove non-immigrant intent at entry would be more difficult to gather. The conventional wisdom is that those who are married to USC's have immigrant intent, i.e they will eventually wish to be together at some point in time. The challenge is to show that the intent did not exist at that entry.

How would the OP handle questioning from a AO along the lines of what was said at the border during the AOS interview. Did the OP exclude any pertinent information that would change a CBP officer's determination of the eligibility for entry. Did the OP commit a material misrepresentation by either deliberately giving misleading information or by wilfully concealing information. It's a high stakes situation with a very bad result if you happen to roll snake eyes by getting the AO that wants to probe into the legality of the entry. Losing that game results in immediate removal with a permanent ban on entering the US with no option for a waiver.

I know that is a situation I wouldn't want to put myself in if I could help it. But I'm not the OP.

zackly.

I've seen in other forums where a Canadian married to an American entered the US on vacation with their US wife to visit family for the holidays, whose parent then fell terminally ill and they decided to stay. The applied for AOS and it was granted. HOWEVER, he was easily able to PROVE non-intent at his interview. They still had their home and jobs back in Canada when they entered, their employers expected them back after the holidays, but they decided to stay to care for the ailing US parent.

The OP here however obviously has intent, and to misrepresent yourself and then apply for AOS is not a recipe for a happy outcome. Unless the desired outcome is possible deportation and permanent banning. Which is why I would never recommend that ANYone come to the US with intent to marry and stay. The risks are just too great.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.