angela920

why is that they made my ssn under my maiden name?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello to everyone here on visajourney! I just want to ask if you have experienced this.

My hubby and I got married Nov 13 in Alameda Court House in Oakland, right after our marriage, We got our marriage certificate coz its the same place where we got our license. Then, in the afternoon.. same day.. I applied for my SSN here in Fremont, CA. It took 30mins for our number to be called.. then the lady told me "sign here.. blah blah blah" then she told me "we'll be using your previous last name not the married one because you still need to adjust for your status and go back here when you get your ead card"

I was like "uhh ok? shouldn't be my married name since I'm married already and I can't apply my adjustment of status if I wasn't married anyway?" then she said " thats how it is"

Then on Nov 22 we submitted the papers for my AOS and EAD (though Chicago hasnt received it yet).

I was just thinking if my SSN would be my maiden name, don't you think it will be complicated?

1. You need SSN to get CA driver's license/state ID

2. You need SSN to open a bank account

3. You need SSN to have a joint bank accounts

4. In order for me be added to any car insurance they need CA driver's license (if my SSN is under my maiden name then they will put it under my maiden name as well.. just assuming here)

5 You need SSN to be in any insurance.. health, dental and life

What if my SSN is under my maiden name? and I will have my interview for my adjustment of status soon... I wont be able to show proof under my married name since they will search using my SSN which is under my maiden name.

Do have the same case? Please tell me what i need to do! I'm confused again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
hello to everyone here on visajourney! I just want to ask if you have experienced this.

My hubby and I got married Nov 13 in Alameda Court House in Oakland, right after our marriage, We got our marriage certificate coz its the same place where we got our license. Then, in the afternoon.. same day.. I applied for my SSN here in Fremont, CA. It took 30mins for our number to be called.. then the lady told me "sign here.. blah blah blah" then she told me "we'll be using your previous last name not the married one because you still need to adjust for your status and go back here when you get your ead card"

I was like "uhh ok? shouldn't be my married name since I'm married already and I can't apply my adjustment of status if I wasn't married anyway?" then she said " thats how it is"

Then on Nov 22 we submitted the papers for my AOS and EAD (though Chicago hasnt received it yet).

I was just thinking if my SSN would be my maiden name, don't you think it will be complicated?

4. In order for me be added to any car insurance they need CA driver's license (if my SSN is under my maiden name then they will put it under my maiden name as well.. just assuming here)

What if my SSN is under my maiden name? and I will have my interview for my adjustment of status soon... I wont be able to show proof under my married name since they will search using my SSN which is under my maiden name.

I had the same problem when I went to get my ssn they would only put it in my maiden name, so we went back 2 weeks later and they changed it to my married name. Hope this helps.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Timeline

I had the same problem when I went to get my ssn they would only put it in my maiden name, so we went back 2 weeks later and they changed it to my married name. Hope this helps.

so you went back when you got your ssn card and changed it to your married name?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

so you went back when you got your ssn card and changed it to your married name?

Yes thats right, the man said they should have put it in my married name the first time as I supplied my marraige certificate, but I think what happens is when they log on to uscis they see your maiden name and that confuses them, bless them lol.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Timeline

Yes thats right, the man said they should have put it in my married name the first time as I supplied my marraige certificate, but I think what happens is when they log on to uscis they see your maiden name and that confuses them, bless them lol.

thanks so much... I'm still waiting for my SSN card to arrive and I will try my luck and go back there as soon as I have it to change it to my married name. It just doesn't make sense to put our maiden name when we are already married. B) also she said i need to go back there to change it to my married name once I have my EAD card.. but ... i won't wait for that :P

Hi!

We have the same case. They(SSA)will issue SSN with my maiden name then once AOS/EAD approve go back and have it replace with the married name.Hope it helps.

04-09-2012-------------------- Sent N-400y date: 04/11/12)

05-11-2012-------------------- Biometric Letter received!

04-16-2012-------------------- NOA received (Priority date:04/11/12)

05-25-2012-------------------- Early Biometric !!!!(05-31-12--- Biometric Appnt.)

05-30-2012---------------------Placed in Lined for Interview Scheduling!!!

06-29-2012---------------------N-400 Notification,Scheduled for Interview!

07-05-2012---------------------Interview Letter received!

07-30-2012---------------------Interview! APPROVED!!!!

08-08-2012---------------------Oath Letter recieved!

08-15-2012---------------------Oath Ceremony!!!!

hello you know why they still use you maiden because during the application of course your not married yet by that time so everytime they type in your name or so it will appear your maiden name, so when you will get your marriage contract and ready to apply for removing of condition then make sure you will put your married name there heheh, my case is when i got my GC i was so surprise that it still my maiden name & we got married in the Philippines then I returned it hubby made a letter explaining that we submitted everything they need to prove that im legally his wife & my status is CR1 so that was their fault cause if mine? I will pay $450 I guess or more that sucks if that happened but thank God they waived our complain heheh so don't worry about yours it will be fine...thanks & God Bless

Timeline
hello you know why they still use you maiden because during the application of course your not married yet by that time so everytime they type in your name or so it will appear your maiden name, so when you will get your marriage contract and ready to apply for removing of condition then make sure you will put your married name there heheh, my case is when i got my GC i was so surprise that it still my maiden name & we got married in the Philippines then I returned it hubby made a letter explaining that we submitted everything they need to prove that im legally his wife & my status is CR1 so that was their fault cause if mine? I will pay $450 I guess or more that sucks if that happened but thank God they waived our complain heheh so don't worry about yours it will be fine...thanks & God Bless

thanks for the reply... maybe i will try my luck and going to a different SSN office.. I'm already married when I applied for it. :) Take care!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just go back to the SSA and ask for a name change. Just show them your marriage certificate.

K1 visa
12.20.07 : NOA1
05.01.08 : NOA2
05.27.08 : MNL case number was received in the US
07.01.08 : interview
07.21.08 : visa on hand!!!
08.25.08 : POE:LAX
09.10.08 : applied for SSN
09.13.08 : just married!!!

11.03.08 : passed behind-the-wheel drive test

AOS
11.12.08 : Sent packet for AOS, EAD and AP
11.17.08 : Packet received at Chicago, IL (day 1)
11.24.08 : Check encashed (day 7)
12.17.08 : Biometrics! (day 30)
01.13.09 : AP and EAD approved (day 57)
01.20.09 : AP arrived in the mail (day 64)
01.22.09 : EAD card received (day 66)
04.20.09 : AOS interview
04.24.09 : Welcome letter received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.