DeadPoolX

My view of Canada

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I said something that was misinterpreted. I'm not on the corner of Burrard and Robson. My wife and I did live there for a couple of weeks while we scouted out apartments in Vancouver and the outlying areas. Finding a place to live is just too difficult when outside the province.

As for the whole "driver vs pedestrian" thing, I can understand where all the USC spouses are coming from. In the U.S., the chances of seeing a pedestrian (in most cases) is very slim. Everyone drives and those who don't (i.e. walk or take public transportation) are considered to be "poor slobs." That's not really an elitist stance, since even the illegal aliens have cars! :P

The first time I visited Canada, I was amazed at how Canadians just wander out into the street. It shocked me even more to find out that the cars are "expected to stop" and therefore, it's considered okay to do this. I would never walk in the street unless I had a visible crosswalk and preferably, a cross light. Maybe the cars are supposed to stop, but that doesn't mean they necessarily will. If a human and a car collide, guess which one comes out in better condition?

In the U.S., crosswalks are few and far between. Many places don't even have sidewalks. If someone were to venture out into the street, the likelihood of them becoming roadkill is high. Drivers don't stop for people on foot; in fact, many drivers joke that hitting certain people -- such as old people -- means more points. The only time drivers stop is if a crossing guard is there for school children. Half the time the only reason drivers do stop is because of the low speeds mandated in school zones.

I've known many people who believe that if kids don't know any better than to stay out of the road then they should be run over. That line of thought is generally reserved for high school students and not younger kids. Honestly, I can't help but agree -- if these are the people who're going to college and will be the future leaders of our country, they should damn well know better than to walk in front of vehicles propelling themselves at speeds which will kill a human. Perhaps some agreement could be reached and "dodging cars" could become P.E. credit. :D

To be fair, some American cities are set up better for public transportation. New York, Philadelphia, Austin and San Francisco are all good examples. Many cities, however, either have terrible public transportation systems or simply don't bother, since everyone has a vehicle.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

No that's backwards DPX, everyone has a vehicle because there is no public transit :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I think I said something that was misinterpreted. I'm not on the corner of Burrard and Robson. My wife and I did live there for a couple of weeks while we scouted out apartments in Vancouver and the outlying areas. Finding a place to live is just too difficult when outside the province.

As for the whole "driver vs pedestrian" thing, I can understand where all the USC spouses are coming from. In the U.S., the chances of seeing a pedestrian (in most cases) is very slim. Everyone drives and those who don't (i.e. walk or take public transportation) are considered to be "poor slobs." That's not really an elitist stance, since even the illegal aliens have cars! :P

The first time I visited Canada, I was amazed at how Canadians just wander out into the street. It shocked me even more to find out that the cars are "expected to stop" and therefore, it's considered okay to do this. I would never walk in the street unless I had a visible crosswalk and preferably, a cross light. Maybe the cars are supposed to stop, but that doesn't mean they necessarily will. If a human and a car collide, guess which one comes out in better condition?

In the U.S., crosswalks are few and far between. Many places don't even have sidewalks. If someone were to venture out into the street, the likelihood of them becoming roadkill is high. Drivers don't stop for people on foot; in fact, many drivers joke that hitting certain people -- such as old people -- means more points. The only time drivers stop is if a crossing guard is there for school children. Half the time the only reason drivers do stop is because of the low speeds mandated in school zones.

I've known many people who believe that if kids don't know any better than to stay out of the road then they should be run over. That line of thought is generally reserved for high school students and not younger kids. Honestly, I can't help but agree -- if these are the people who're going to college and will be the future leaders of our country, they should damn well know better than to walk in front of vehicles propelling themselves at speeds which will kill a human. Perhaps some agreement could be reached and "dodging cars" could become P.E. credit. :D

To be fair, some American cities are set up better for public transportation. New York, Philadelphia, Austin and San Francisco are all good examples. Many cities, however, either have terrible public transportation systems or simply don't bother, since everyone has a vehicle.

:lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have plenty of crosswalks in my town here in CT, it's just that NO one stops at them.. it drives me batty..

I saw a young father yesterday trying to cross a busy street (probably dropped the oldest off at a local school and was trying to walk home with the rest of the clan) and he was AT a crosswalk and no one stopped.. like for 5 minutes.. they just drove on by. I felt so bad for him.. he wasn't just going to dash into traffic with those kidoes in toe..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

I notice here also, that when someone does cross the street they run for their lives! :lol:

I just don't like the way I look when I run.

Come to think of it, I don't think I'd like the look of myself if I were flat as a pancake on the pavement either...but I'll take my chances.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Even here at the univeristy where we have designated crosswalks for students, faculty and staff, drivers still don't stop. We even have flashing lights telling them to slow down because they will be pedestrians and I often wait 5 minutes or have to run like a little crack addict (sorry I couldn't help myself...dave chappelle reference there) across the road...

I guess running across roads is a part of our Canadian lives.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Warlord,

Have you encountered a group called Critical Mass? Holy #######, they are like the ghestappo on bikes.

I too have driven in most cities in the U.S. and find that Los Angeles and Boston are by far the worst. I live 23 miles away from my job...... which takes me 2 hours to get home :angry:

It's annoying, but as my fiance tells me .... Nothing I can do about it....

Nope we don't deal with Critical Mass, but our member cities especially in Boulder are can be very outspoken. They have the mentality here that everyone needs to cater to them, but they don't need to follow any rules at all. And I agree, a bike rider can use the traffic lanes, IF, they keep up the speed of the traffic. So if it's a 50 mph road, then I expect them to be going 50 mph an hour in that lane or else get the hell off the road (goes for slow granies with blue hair and are using telephone books so they can peer over the dashboard).

LA is slow driving I'll give you that, just not really agressive compared to what I've seen and experienced elsewhere. I just try and avoid driving out of the city during holidays since no matter what back road you take, you're pretty much screwed. Took me 4-5 hours once to get to San Diego on Memorial Day to see my friend (can't remember exactly how long, but took a hell of a lot longer then usual). Not fun...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Even here at the univeristy where we have designated crosswalks for students, faculty and staff, drivers still don't stop. We even have flashing lights telling them to slow down because they will be pedestrians and I often wait 5 minutes or have to run like a little crack addict (sorry I couldn't help myself...dave chappelle reference there) across the road...

This isn't to you specifically Amanada, but what's with a designated crosswalk...with flashing lights no less, and no one stopping?? Isn't that against the law? Hand out a few $250.00 tickets and we'd see that change pretty fast!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

This isn't to you specifically Amanada, but what's with a designated crosswalk...with flashing lights no less, and no one stopping?? Isn't that against the law? Hand out a few $250.00 tickets and we'd see that change pretty fast!

It absolutely is against state law, any way. We have signs that say, "stop for pedestrians, it's the law" :lol: I guess people don't take it seriously.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

In Montreal, when you step off the sidewalk to cross the street whether in the middle of the street or at an intersection even if you have the right of way (aka green light), you seriously take your life in your hands.

Always look.

Always move quickly.

You could get smashed by a driver coming out of a lane, if you are not extremely cautious.

In Chicago, they have made it the law :lol:

to stop if you see a ped on a crosswalk.

That is absolutely hilarious.

No one here stops, and no one uses signals, and everyone cuts people off (driving or walking).

(I am generalizing somewhat.)

In Vancouver, people behave like they live in Lotus Land and all is pure and all is good.

And then, invariably, on morning news you hear:

"Pedestrian struck at corner of x, in mid morning rush hour."

Oh boy.

Not too bright.

Drivers are not the best in Vancouver as it is, and peds are not careful at all.

Cyclists there are quite militant for the most part.

I mean it is a city where you can cycle for transportation all year round, and so...

In sweet Portland, Maine, mmmmm, so nice there...oh ahem, everyone is so courteous, that at an intersection with stop signs, the other driver will wave you across (when you are driving too) even if you got there after them. :D They extend this to pedestrians and cyclists too. In my time there, I observed people are salt of the Earth and gentle/kind.

There is my thesis on my experience in these cities.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

Atlanta traffic is bad but it is a combination of volume, high transport truck volume and bad driving (tailgating, speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, etc.). The roadways themselves are well designed, it is just hard for the infrastructure to keep up with the volume and major accidents are a daily occurrence on all major roadways. There is a public transit that we often use and they just extended an express bus service to our area so Joe does that most days instead of driving in. I have driven in Detroit and I-94 is terrible - not only does it have high volume and bad drivers - the road is basically potholes on top of potholes. I remember when I lived in Chatham listening to Detroit radio stations having contests about who could find the biggest potholes on I-94! I just prayed that I would see one in time before I drove into it because car damage and flat tires were common.

Re - crosswalks . . we have a lot of sidewalks around here because we are in suburbia and I do see people walking a fair bit, although distances make any real walking effort difficult. For school crosswalks the school districts here hire police or security crossing guards and they literally direct traffic at crosswalks when school kids are out. It is a real nuisance because they always give the vehicles entering and exiting the school area as well as pedestrians the right of way so you can wait up to 10 minutes before you get past that crosswalk. I guess if people refuse to acknowledge them on their own, having them enforced by personnel is the next obvious step.

In Canada, when I would cross the road, I would always make sure that there was no immediate traffic coming. I figured, since the cars weren't using the road and I needed to be on the other side, I might as well use it!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I agree Kathryn.. Atlanta is a well designed city, just has an over abundance of traffic. We always found it a relief going to Atlanta, where there is always loads of fast moving traffic, but not the aggression of the North East. We found we had to calm down a bit to drive down there.. then as soon as we were driving home and reached DC, add on the aggression again :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Remember:

"We're not blocking traffic, we are traffic!"

I like that chant.

B)

You are blocking traffic if your riding at 18-20MPH in a 40 MPH main road in the left lane :P

Using the left turn lane ensures that 1 bicycle will get through the intersection, while holding up 6-8 cars that could have comfortably made it through merely because a bike cannot accelerate fast enough.

what bugs me about traffic in LA is some of the motorcycle drivers... they weave in out of traffic like they own the road and I have even seen a few using the carpool lane... :o

In California, motorcycles are allowed to use the carpool lane. They are also allowed to ride in between lanes of traffic. It's not legal in all states, and i'm fairly sure its not legal in Ontario.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.