Pandorrah

how to use Advance Parole document?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:wacko: this may be a stupid question...but maybe i'm not the only one out there that doesn't understand the way to use the AP document...

so here goes:

a) do i only need to show it when i am driving back over the border from Canada?

B) do i need to show it to Canada Customs on my through to Canada?

c) is the box for the stamp in the lower right hand corner supposed to be empy?...it shouldn't already be stamped before they sent it to me?

bear with me folks...just kinda nervous...need it dumbed down for me...

thank you in advance for any help/explanation...

Timeline
:wacko: this may be a stupid question...but maybe i'm not the only one out there that doesn't understand the way to use the AP document...

so here goes:

a) do i only need to show it when i am driving back over the border from Canada?

B) do i need to show it to Canada Customs on my through to Canada?

c) is the box for the stamp in the lower right hand corner supposed to be empy?...it shouldn't already be stamped before they sent it to me?

bear with me folks...just kinda nervous...need it dumbed down for me...

thank you in advance for any help/explanation...

well obviously everyone thinks this was a stupid question since lots have looked at it but no one has replied...was hoping to have some input folks since i leave in a few days...please...any advice is welcome...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought i would leave a reply, but it has nothing to do with helping you...I have never had the opportunity to use my AP, so i wouldnt know. But listen, there are never any stupid questions. Just be patient and someone will surely help you out soon enough. I dont think my AP came with a stamp on it. Any if you are a Canadian citizen you can show your passport or id, i think the AP is for when you are coming back to the US.

Sorry im not much more help!

Nov. 2006---------Engaged

Oct. 20th, 2007---Married

May 26th, 2008---AOS/AP/EAD sent

May 29th, 2008---Package Received

June 7th, 2008----4 NOAs Received

July 3rd, 2008----Biometrics App

July 11th, 2008---Medical Completed

Aug. 14th, 2008--AP Received

Aug. 21st, 2008--EAD Received

Error Found on EAD :(

Sep. 30th, 2008---Correct EAD Received

Oct. 1st, 2008-----Interview Date Received

Oct. 17th, 2008---SSN Received

Nov. 7th, 2008----AOS Interview

Nov. 14th, 2008--Welcome Letter Received

Nov. 21st, 2008--Received Green Card!!!

Take both copies. They will keep one and stamp the other and return it to you.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

and i do that on the way back right?...i don't have to do anything on my way TO Canada, just go through CANADA BP...i don't have to Check in with AMERICAN BP before I enter into Canada?

AND

if they take one that only leaves me with one...how does that work when i go for another visit?...it can be used for multiple visits...or so it says...

thank you so much for you help...

Timeline
I thought i would leave a reply, but it has nothing to do with helping you...I have never had the opportunity to use my AP, so i wouldnt know. But listen, there are never any stupid questions. Just be patient and someone will surely help you out soon enough. I dont think my AP came with a stamp on it. Any if you are a Canadian citizen you can show your passport or id, i think the AP is for when you are coming back to the US.

Sorry im not much more help!

thank you...it's just that time is of the essence right now & usually people respond right away...i appreciate your comments/insight...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

and i do that on the way back right?...i don't have to do anything on my way TO Canada, just go through CANADA BP...i don't have to Check in with AMERICAN BP before I enter into Canada?

AND

if they take one that only leaves me with one...how does that work when i go for another visit?...it can be used for multiple visits...or so it says...

thank you so much for you help...

I read somewhere on VJ to make some copies of your AP documents to keep for yourself. My wife and I haven't traveled since receiving it, but I read that somewhere and thought it's a good bit of advice... Good luck! :thumbs:

Edited by Tyler and Agus

Tyler

~~~~~~~~~~~

K-1 Visa Timeline

9/24/2007: I-129F Petition Mailed to CSC

9/26/2007: Received at 9:43 AM in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607

11/9/2007: Check cashed at CSC (~45 days after reception)

11/13/2007: Received I-797, Notice of Action in Mail (dated 11/8/2007)

2/19/2008: Received NOA2 [dated 2/13/08] Case Approved! (142 days from filing)

2/29/2008: Petition leaves NVC for foreign embassy

3/15/2008: Fiancee received Packet 3

4/12/2008: Interview appointed by embassy

4/29/2008: Interview and approval!!

5/30/2008: Entered U.S.

7/25/2008: MARRIED in picturesque Northern Michigan

11/10/2008: EAD and AP Received

2/24/2009: AOS approved in Detroit (71 days for approval)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

My wife used the same AP three times. She has two AP documents also. The first time was going to Canada. Since she entered the US with her fiance visa so she only had 90 days on her I-94. When she went to Canada, her I-94 had expired and the Canadian Immigration officer asked her about it. So we told him the whole story about getting married and waiting for her AOS. She was allowed to enter after some checking. When we returned to the US, we had to go into the Immigration Office and the officer stamped her AP and issued her a new I-94 which is valid for one year.

The second time was when she went to Hong Kong and the airline agent took her I-94 as standard procedure. When she returned, the US Immigration Officer stamped her AP again and gave her a new I-94 which is valid for one year.

The third time we went to Canada and since her I-94 was still valid, there was no problem with Canadian Immigration. When we returned, she showed the US officer her AP and passport with the non-expired I-94 and she was allowed to come back to the US without anymore stamp on the AP.

So her AP has two stamps and she only need to carry one with her when she used it. I think they sent her two copies just in case she wants to use AP many times. As you can see, there are not many spaces on the AP for stamps.

You are doing everything by the book and legally. So don't worry. Just take a copy of AP and go.

Have you thought about posting your question on the Canada Forum? Lots of Canadians are always on there, and someone with specific US/Canada crossings may have helped you.

In the future, try posting there.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

As well, most people who visit this forum are posting information about applying for AOS. There is another forum here called Working and Travelling Prior to Receiving GC which might also be a better forum.

I'm not berating you, just thought you should know if you're not getting a response in one place, you might look at posting it in another.

Have fun on your visit!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Have you thought about posting your question on the Canada Forum? Lots of Canadians are always on there, and someone with specific US/Canada crossings may have helped you.

In the future, try posting there.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

As well, most people who visit this forum are posting information about applying for AOS. There is another forum here called Working and Travelling Prior to Receiving GC which might also be a better forum.

I'm not berating you, just thought you should know if you're not getting a response in one place, you might look at posting it in another.

Have fun on your visit!

USCIS sends you 2 copies.

When you leave the US and enter Canada you do not need to show them anything. They may ask your status in the US, I doubt they will ask for your AP. Stranger things have happened! ;)

When you are returning to the US, that is when you show your AP. If you are crossing at a land crossing, they will send you inside the building. Once inside, you will give the IO both copies of the AP. your passport and anything else they request. The IO will enter your information in the computer, ask questions, and eventually, should stamp your AP and passport. The IO will retain one copy of the AP, and return the other to you. On future entries, you need only the one copy to show them at the border. Sometimes they will let you through without sending you in and going through the whole process, other times, they send you in. Last time I used mine, the IO told me they were supposed to parole me each and every entry, even though they clearly had not done so.

It is recommended that you make a copy of your AP and keep it in a safe place in case something happens to your original.

The box is supposed to be empty until they stamp it on your re-entry.

Hope this helps and have fun in Canada!

B)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

And don't be surprised if they give back both copies of the AP. I still have both of mine. :)

And IF you make copies, do not bring them with you. I made that mistake and the POE officer was not happy to see I had made copies of official paperwork, particularly colour ones.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.