Tincan

What would it happen to my RRSP, RESP if I am no longer a Canadian resident?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

NO, u can keep ur RRSP open. But u have to notify the institution that is holding them. They wil sebnd you some paperwork to fill out! As well each yr, u have to inform the IRS and that is done by form 8891. very easy form to fill out!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are also required to pay tax on the interest earned on the RRSPs - they are not considered tax deferred income in the US. You have a choice - you can keep them in Canada and do the necessary paperwork; you can cash them out before you leave Canada and then include them in your return as income and pay the going tax rate on them (good if you leave the country early in the tax year and you don't have a large amount of RRSP investments), or you can cash them after you move to the US and pay a mandatory 25% non-resident tax on the amount.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

U dont pay any Federal "tax" on RRSP's if u leave them alone, only if u take them out. Form 8891 covers that! But I have been told it differs from State to State

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You do on the interest - not the principle - and you're right, it does vary State to State as well.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Not what i was told (could be wrong) by filling out form 8891 ur informing the US govt that u have the RRSP's. When (if) u cash them out, then you could get taxed on the interest

Timeline

Not that I have seen. VA didnt care about my RRSP's

Timeline

You are taxed on the entire amount of your RRSPs when you pull them out. The institution that holds your RRSP will automatically withhold a percentage (around 30%) for tax purposes I believe. Since RRSPs are a way of lowering your tax rate, you will pay on the interest you have earned on them plus the principle.

You will have to file this as current year income to the IRS but the amount that you paid for taxes already in Canada will be used towards your current year IRS tax filing. So if you paid 30% on your RRSP when you pulled it out to the CRA, and you owed 33% to the IRS the they would take your 30% you already paid to the CRA and give you a tax credit for it, and therefore you would owe an additional 3%. If you ended up paying 35% to the CRA and you owed the IRS 33%, then you wouldn't owe the IRS any additional money since the tax credit you would receive exceeds the taxes you owe. I do not believe that you can use the additional 2% tax credit against your US earned income, but you should check with your accountant.

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

• 2 months later...
Timeline
You are taxed on the entire amount of your RRSPs when you pull them out. The institution that holds your RRSP will automatically withhold a percentage (around 30%) for tax purposes I believe. Since RRSPs are a way of lowering your tax rate, you will pay on the interest you have earned on them plus the principle.

You will have to file this as current year income to the IRS but the amount that you paid for taxes already in Canada will be used towards your current year IRS tax filing. So if you paid 30% on your RRSP when you pulled it out to the CRA, and you owed 33% to the IRS the they would take your 30% you already paid to the CRA and give you a tax credit for it, and therefore you would owe an additional 3%. If you ended up paying 35% to the CRA and you owed the IRS 33%, then you wouldn't owe the IRS any additional money since the tax credit you would receive exceeds the taxes you owe. I do not believe that you can use the additional 2% tax credit against your US earned income, but you should check with your accountant.

Great info - we're actually doing this right now and would love some more details. My wife and I are living/working in the US and sold our remaining Canadian RRSP this year (2008). Right off the top we paid 25% non-resident tax. So that said do we have to report this sale on our US tax return? if so, can you tell us how and/or what forms we need to fill out?

Also - do you know if we have to do a Canadian tax return (we have no other canadian income, just this one RRSP sale)? If so, do you have any tips or advice on what we need to file or extra forms etc?

Thanks very much for your help

Darryl

08/26/2006 Wedding in Canada

09/05/2006 Filed I-130 petition at Toronto US Embassy

09/05/2006 I-130 approved at Embassy

09/29/2006 Packet 3 arrived with official approval letter

10/13/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal via registered mail

10/17/2006 Montreal rec'd Packet 3

11/01/2006 Called Montreal - said interview would be scheduled Jan/Feb

01/10/2007 Called Montreal - said interview would be scheduled in Feb

02/06/2007 Called Montreal - were told communication was coming

02/10/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal re: Adam Walsh Act delays

03/13/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal saying we're clear from Adam Walsh and back on track

03/15/2007 Rec'd email from Montreal saying interview would be scheduled in next 4-12 weeks

Unknown Finally had interview in Montreal - passed!

Unknown Got green card in the mail

unknown Applied for & rec'd SSN

08/20/2007 Moved to the USA

03/01/2009 Starting sending in my I-751 removal of green card conditions

Filed: Other Timeline

Check with a financial advisor before you do anything with them. Before I left Canada I spoke with an advisor who did some research for me and found out the the state of North Carolina does not allow an NC resident to have foreign investment managers, which is basically what the administrators of your RRSP is. I cashed it out after I moved here, on Jan 1 for the next year's income so I wouldn't get dinged too bad for income tax in the US. But we did anyway :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great info - we're actually doing this right now and would love some more details. My wife and I are living/working in the US and sold our remaining Canadian RRSP this year (2008). Right off the top we paid 25% non-resident tax. So that said do we have to report this sale on our US tax return? if so, can you tell us how and/or what forms we need to fill out?

Also - do you know if we have to do a Canadian tax return (we have no other canadian income, just this one RRSP sale)? If so, do you have any tips or advice on what we need to file or extra forms etc?

Thanks very much for your help

Darryl

Hey good thing happened to me was I cashed out my RRSP while I'm here in USA and I told a guy from CIBC that I want to stop contributing for my RRSP and I was tax for 10% since i'm a resident during that time....but one month later I checked my CIBC online account and the bad thing happened was CIBC deducted a certain amount from my checking account and I phoned them again to inquire...the lady apologized for what happened and I told her that if possible transfer that money back to my cheking account and it was tax for 25% ( non-resident)...sucks! it wasn't my fault!

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.