3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have a buddy of mined who called me to tell me that his wife's interview is in December. He asked me for advice. He had gone through a divorce with his previous wife and she came here on her K-1 Visa. After his divorce he went back to india and got remarried and then filed an I-130 so he can bring his wife here on a CR-1. Will he run into any obstacles with the Consulate. What type of quesitons will they ask his wife about the divorce. They can not ask stuff like why did he get married to soon and stuff.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
I have a buddy of mined who called me to tell me that his wife's interview is in December. He asked me for advice. He had gone through a divorce with his previous wife and she came here on her K-1 Visa. After his divorce he went back to india and got remarried and then filed an I-130 so he can bring his wife here on a CR-1. Will he run into any obstacles with the Consulate. What type of quesitons will they ask his wife about the divorce. They can not ask stuff like why did he get married to soon and stuff.

I don't know for sure.

I have seen questions on other forums like:

Was your spouse ever married before?

What was the ex-spouse(s) name?

How long were they married?

Did they have any children?

What was the reason for the divorce?

I can't image that they would ask too much more than that. It is probably to make sure that the spouse reasonably knows the petitioner. He would not be the first one who got divorced and then remarried shortly afterwards. From what I seen, they would be more harsh and questioning if he was petitioning for another K1 visa. They will want to see that the petitioner and current spouse have an valid relationship. I would have him have his spouse be prepaired for questions like that and also to bring in as much proof that he does have a Bono Fide Marriage with his current spouse. It would be good if he could make it to the interview with her if possible.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

It all depends upon when the relationship with his new wife started.

1) What was the time frame from his divorce to getting married?

2) Did this current relationship start while he was married?

3) Did he meet both his ex-wife and new wife through relatives? Did both of the wives belong to same town?

4) Where is his ex-wife living right now, how long was he married to her before they divorced?

If the time frame was marginal, say 1 year gap from his divorce to his marriage, then it shouldn't be much of a problem, but say it was only a matter of 2-3 months, then his current wife has to be prepared for scrutanizing. May be ask your friend to join his wife during the interview, take as much of proofs as possible and be confident in what they know.

Indian consulates are hard, so ask them to be prepared for being questioned about their real intentions.

From a consular's point of view, he/she will see this case as-- Indian guy marries one girl from his town, gets dowry to bring her to US, both of them go on their own path and now that the guy is single again he gets another girl and more to earn from dowry.

I am not trying to offend your friend or anyone out here, but this is how a consular might see the case as.

Edited by trinket

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.