bobb

Medical before interview

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I like to be prepared and don't believe in dithering around. It will still be a couple of days before I send in the I-129F. In another post from many moons ago here I came across a document, in Russian, that is a copy of what is sent in one of the packets explaining to the Fiance the medical exam. From translating this using Google translate I have a couple of questions. Before I get to the questions I should add a little info.

I will be going to Izhevsk in January and again in May. In May I think we will spend half our time in Moscow. In the directions it said the medical exam was good for 6 months. So here are my questions:

Can she schedule an appointment for the time we will be in Moscow in May, as this will be not too long before she will receive her packets, at least according to current timelines? It appears from the info I mention above she can choose one of the clinics and after the 2nd day will be given the results of the medical. It also seems to imply that the medical is basically for determining if she has the proper vaccinations.

Does anyone know what the required vaccinations required are? The document also states if the person doesn't have the required vaccinations she would have to receive them. I don't want any delays and was thinking if this was something she would need I'd rather know in May than just before her interview.

My initial search in the forums was trying to find what she would need to bring to the interview. I read many posts and not once did I see a detailed listing of what is required. So, I went to the U.S. Embassy Moscow website home page. On the Visas tab I selected Immigrant. In the column to the left, under 'Immigrant Visa' types I selected Fiance(e) Visa. Now I was at a page that gives you all the information you need with what is required for the interview.

Click here!

Maybe someone might want to put this link as a sticky somewhere. It might save many in the future from wasting hours and receiving conflicting advice. I remember reading many posts that gave different answers as to what is needed at this vital step. It is all spelled out. In addition I saw something I hadn't read anywhere before in any post. Under the list of documents for Fiance(e) Interview #2 is:

Completed Electronic Visa Application Form DS-156. ( The Electronic Visa Application Form must be filled out online at http://evisaforms.state.gov. After filling out the form online, print a copy of the visa application form. The Electronic Visa Application Form is not available in the Russian language. Answers to the questions on the application must be in English and must use English characters. The applicants are welcome to use the Russian language translation to guide them through the online English Electronic Visa Application Form). A separate Electronic Visa Application Form DS-156 must be filled out for immigrating child.

One last question. What is the purpose or the meaning of (e) after Fiance?

Timeline:

17 Nov 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

03 Apr 2009 - NOA2 approval (email)

09 Apr 2009 - NVC received

13 Apr 2009 - Sent to Embassy

23 Jun 2009 - Interview date USEM - Posted USEM website 30 Apr 2009

Timeline
Here is a list of all requiered vaccis: :)

http://www.***removed***/greencard/vaccinat...quirements.html

Thanks. Very helpful. So much for having the medical in May, unless she has received the consulate appointment letter by then. As there are many different vaccines and, some are age dependent, at this point all I can tell her is she will need her vaccination records for the interview. I am sure this is part of the directions she will receive.

Has anyone had to have additional vaccinations required because of the medical? If so, how long has this delayed your Visa?

Timeline:

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

Filed: Timeline
I like to be prepared and don't believe in dithering around. It will still be a couple of days before I send in the I-129F. In another post from many moons ago here I came across a document, in Russian, that is a copy of what is sent in one of the packets explaining to the Fiance the medical exam. From translating this using Google translate I have a couple of questions. Before I get to the questions I should add a little info.

Congrats on your imminent filing!

Some advice to help keep your sanity: Tackle this project in bite-sized pieces. File your I-129F first. Worrying about the interview, medical, and evidence at this point is putting the cart waaaay before the horse. Focus all your energy on getting that done, and done correctly. After you get the I-129F stuffed into the mail, you'll have 6 months to worry about everything else. And believe me, I'm just like you. I feel like I have to be completely prepared up front before anything begins. But having been there and done that, I highly recommend taking it one step at a time.

I will be going to Izhevsk in January and again in May. In May I think we will spend half our time in Moscow. In the directions it said the medical exam was good for 6 months. So here are my questions:

Can she schedule an appointment for the time we will be in Moscow in May, as this will be not too long before she will receive her packets, at least according to current timelines? It appears from the info I mention above she can choose one of the clinics and after the 2nd day will be given the results of the medical. It also seems to imply that the medical is basically for determining if she has the proper vaccinations.

You cannot schedule the visa interview appointment, the appointment will be scheduled by DoS. And whatever you do, do not make plans around the VJ timelines. They can and almost always do vary wildly. Because they're based on historical trends, they don't take into account things like seasonal fluctuations or other factors. You can schedule the medical interview in advance, I think the medical can be as old as 30 days??? Someone please check me on that though, I don't remember.

Does anyone know what the required vaccinations required are? The document also states if the person doesn't have the required vaccinations she would have to receive them. I don't want any delays and was thinking if this was something she would need I'd rather know in May than just before her interview.

Gina-S answered.

One last question. What is the purpose or the meaning of (e) after Fiance?

It's a disambiguation, meaning either the fiance or the fiancee.

Congrats again! Get that packet in the mail so you can start hurrying up and waiting. :)

Timeline
Some advice to help keep your sanity: Tackle this project in bite-sized pieces. File your I-129F first. Worrying about the interview, medical, and evidence at this point is putting the cart waaaay before the horse. Focus all your energy on getting that done, and done correctly. After you get the I-129F stuffed into the mail, you'll have 6 months to worry about everything else. And believe me, I'm just like you. I feel like I have to be completely prepared up front before anything begins. But having been there and done that, I highly recommend taking it one step at a time.

You cannot schedule the visa interview appointment, the appointment will be scheduled by DoS. And whatever you do, do not make plans around the VJ timelines. They can and almost always do vary wildly. Because they're based on historical trends, they don't take into account things like seasonal fluctuations or other factors. You can schedule the medical interview in advance, I think the medical can be as old as 30 days??? Someone please check me on that though, I don't remember.

Gina-S answered.

I can understand many of your comments. Thanks for your good wishes. I will reply to the ones I've quoted.

I feel I have a fairly accurate understanding of the process. I'm not worried about anything. I know many people asking for advice here do have concerns that worry them, but I'm not in that particular boat. You have no way of knowing but I have filed in the past and have some experience in this area. That filing never made it past the NOA1 stage. The filing was terminated by me. I am taking it one step at a time. I have found out what is necessary for each step. I will summarize below. I feel I understand what all the necessary steps are.

I don't think I mentioned anything about trying to schedule the interview in advance. I went to the link Gina-S provided (***removed***). In a link from this site 'Consular Processing' I saw what is necessary to get a medical. It mentioned the Consulate's appointment letter. This led to my comment about so much for having the medical in May, unless by some good fortune, she had received the packet from the Embassy at this time. In additon, at this second link there was a comment that the medical reports are valid for one year prior to entry into the U.S. Now I am only going by what these two links have to say. It is enough for my planning process at the present time. I understand about timelines. I've looked at the ones posted here for Russia and I've noticed the USCIS Processing Time Statistics from the Processing Times link. My best guess at this time would be 7.5 to 9.5 months from time of filing. I even remember reading some post suggesting processing times are, or will decline maybe, because fewer applications are being received. That post even speculated this was due to the downturn in the world economy. Who knows if either is accurate.

This whole process just doesn't seem that complicated. At least if you've spent some time here searching for answers to any questions you have and not being a worry-wart. After filing I will be doing the following:

1. Take her one of my two copies of the I-129F petition I will have filed in January.

2, Go with her to get the police certificate(s) in January. One for before marriage, one after with new name. (good for 1 year according to Embassy link I provided)

3. Practice with her filing out the DS-230 and the DS-156 (which appears to need to be filled out online, then printed) and supplement DS-156K form.

4. Go over with her what original documents, copies, and translations will be necessary (again from Embassy link) in January.

5. In May I will take copies of my tax returns and a completed I-134. Unless I find this step needs to be closer to the interview. If so, I'll send it to her with the documentation of our ongoing relationship since the filing of the I-129F, including my May visit.

6. Take all originals, which she has sent me, back to her in May for her later interview. That is if I've received NOA2 by that time.

7. Send any additional suggested items such as copy of NOA2 that I have read is suggested, although not required according to Embassy website. More current letters of intent to marry, although not required according to Embassy info. Or any other items I wish to provide to satisfy my level of overkill.

8. Provide her with the documentation of the ongoing relationship shortly after my May visit. This may be anywhere from June - August. Heck it could even be later.

The time some of the above will be done is subject to change, but I believe what I mention above and from what I can see on the Embassy link I don't expect any surprises. If there are I will deal with them when they arise. I suppose another reason I feel fairly confident, especially when the interview occurs, is I am 59 and she is 57.

This site is a very valuable aide. I've learned many things from the many posts I've read, guides I've looked at, and the sample forms. The only suggestion I could make with the sample forms would be to use a beneficiary from a non-Roman alphabet country, with a previous marriage, and a child. I've tended to get frustrated when searching for answers in the past and read contradictory information. I feel my suggestion about the link to the Moscow Embassy I provided being part of a sticky could be a valuable tool for many yet to begin this process, and for some in the middle of it. I think it would ease the worry of some of the worriers (is that a word?). Of course there will still be questions. But maybe with this information readily available to people who are, maybe too lazy to search, or frustrated by seeing contradictory answers in posts, or have valid questions and/or interesting circumstances, this will eliminate the posts from the ones who do comprehend what is outlined.

I'm sure I will be asking questions in the future. I can think of one right now concerning the I-134. But this will have to wait for a new post. Now, it is much too late to continue. I've already entered a day honoring me and many others like me. At work we do not get the day off, but I do because I am one.

Timeline:

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

I feel I have a fairly accurate understanding of the process. I'm not worried about anything. I know many people asking for advice here do have concerns that worry them, but I'm not in that particular boat. You have no way of knowing but I have filed in the past and have some experience in this area. That filing never made it past the NOA1 stage. The filing was terminated by me. I am taking it one step at a time. I have found out what is necessary for each step. I will summarize below. I feel I understand what all the necessary steps are.

Cool. "Take it in bite-sized steps" is my stock answer to sweeping questions, so take it with a grain of salt. :)

I don't think I mentioned anything about trying to schedule the interview in advance.

It seemed ambiguous to me, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the interview appointment, the medical appointment, or both. So I chose to answer both. The good news is that you will know your interview date about 3 months ahead of time. So if you can at all do it, schedule your trip to Moscow once you have the interview date. 3 months is plenty of time to get your visa, make hotel/apartment arrangements, etc.

I went to the link Gina-S provided (***removed***). In a link from this site 'Consular Processing' I saw what is necessary to get a medical. It mentioned the Consulate's appointment letter. This led to my comment about so much for having the medical in May, unless by some good fortune, she had received the packet from the Embassy at this time. In additon, at this second link there was a comment that the medical reports are valid for one year prior to entry into the U.S. Now I am only going by what these two links have to say. It is enough for my planning process at the present time. I understand about timelines. I've looked at the ones posted here for Russia and I've noticed the USCIS Processing Time Statistics from the Processing Times link. My best guess at this time would be 7.5 to 9.5 months from time of filing. I even remember reading some post suggesting processing times are, or will decline maybe, because fewer applications are being received. That post even speculated this was due to the downturn in the world economy. Who knows if either is accurate.

Yeah...it's all a ####### shoot, and to complicate matters it's not just K1 visas being handled by your service center, but other visa types as well. USCIS are understaffed and overworked, and this doesn't look to change anytime soon. 7.5 months is almost unheard of. 9 months is very typical. I wouldn't buy tickets based on 9 months, but I think it's good enough to make general plans.

This whole process just doesn't seem that complicated. At least if you've spent some time here searching for answers to any questions you have and not being a worry-wart.

Agreed! Search is your (generic your) friend! :)

2, Go with her to get the police certificate(s) in January. One for before marriage, one after with new name. (good for 1 year according to Embassy link I provided)

Unnecessary really. Unless you're just going to spend quality time and want to see what the inside of her local МВД looks like. :)

3. Practice with her filing out the DS-230 and the DS-156 (which appears to need to be filled out online, then printed) and supplement DS-156K form.

Why practice? Just fill out the forms and have her sign where appropriate.

5. In May I will take copies of my tax returns and a completed I-134. Unless I find this step needs to be closer to the interview. If so, I'll send it to her with the documentation of our ongoing relationship since the filing of the I-129F, including my May visit.

All of the documents showing proof of income, etc, just need to be dated from about the time USCIS approved your petition. It doesn't hurt to have them all dated as close to the interview as possible, but don't sweat it. If you're going in May, you'll want to have 2008 returns, but if you had to extend your filing they will accept 2007 with your extension request.

7. Send any additional suggested items such as copy of NOA2 that I have read is suggested, although not required according to Embassy website. More current letters of intent to marry, although not required according to Embassy info. Or any other items I wish to provide to satisfy my level of overkill.

8. Provide her with the documentation of the ongoing relationship shortly after my May visit. This may be anywhere from June - August. Heck it could even be later.

You don't need a copy of the NOA2. They know you had NOA2 because otherwise they wouldn't have your packet. :) Honestly, don't "overkill" yourself on this. Just provide what is asked for, some photos and a reasonable amount of evidence. Don't burden your fiancee with a ton of stuff that she might have to stand in line lugging around for 2 hours. If your relationship is genuine (and of course it is) then you have nothing to worry about. :)

The time some of the above will be done is subject to change, but I believe what I mention above and from what I can see on the Embassy link I don't expect any surprises. If there are I will deal with them when they arise. I suppose another reason I feel fairly confident, especially when the interview occurs, is I am 59 and she is 57.

Definitely be confident. You'll be fine.

I'm sure I will be asking questions in the future. I can think of one right now concerning the I-134. But this will have to wait for a new post. Now, it is much too late to continue. I've already entered a day honoring me and many others like me. At work we do not get the day off, but I do because I am one.

Ask away! Lots of veteran filers here very willing to lend a hand.

And speaking of vetarans, lot of vets here too, including yours truly. Thanks to you and the rest of the vets for your service. And I don't get the day off either, dammit. :)

Timeline

Unnecessary really. Unless you're just going to spend quality time and want to see what the inside of her local МВД looks like. :)

Why not. Another new experience. And a more important reason. I believe she wants me to do this with her when I will be there in January.

There is a good chance she will move in her city before next summer. This new address will need to be added on the forms, and I'll have to notify the Embassy before they send the paperwork to her.

Timeline:

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

Why not. Another new experience. And a more important reason. I believe she wants me to do this with her when I will be there in January.

Perfectly valid reason to me. :)

There is a good chance she will move in her city before next summer. This new address will need to be added on the forms, and I'll have to notify the Embassy before they send the paperwork to her.

slim's usually the guy to say this, but he's slackin' so I'll just say it: resist the temptation to hand-hold your lady too much. She's a big girl, and even though she may not be a native speaker she's probably intelligent enough to figure out how to add her address to a government form, because it pretty much goes right next to the other addresses. :) I don't say this unkindly, because I too find myself succumbing to that tempation now and again. It's very easy to think of our ladies as fragile flowers, and we want to be their knight in shining armor. But the reality is that she's grown up in tougher circumstances than most Americans, and she's probably more streetwise than most inner-city dwellers.

I hope I don't sound like I'm picking on you. I'm really not, and if you tell me to shut up then I'll shut up. (this offer only open to you, sorry Brad! :) ) You seem to be a lot like me, very eager to have all your ducks in a row as early as possible, wanting to be more prepared than a boyscout, and wanting to protect your lady from everything that could conceivably go wrong. So as a fellow kindred spirit I'm just throwing out some advice that eventually worked for me.

Good info in the embassy post btw. :thumbs:

Timeline
slim's usually the guy to say this, but he's slackin' so I'll just say it: resist the temptation to hand-hold your lady too much. She's a big girl, and even though she may not be a native speaker she's probably intelligent enough to figure out how to add her address to a government form, because it pretty much goes right next to the other addresses. :) I don't say this unkindly, because I too find myself succumbing to that tempation now and again. It's very easy to think of our ladies as fragile flowers, and we want to be their knight in shining armor. But the reality is that she's grown up in tougher circumstances than most Americans, and she's probably more streetwise than most inner-city dwellers.

I hope I don't sound like I'm picking on you. I'm really not, and if you tell me to shut up then I'll shut up. (this offer only open to you, sorry Brad! :) ) You seem to be a lot like me, very eager to have all your ducks in a row as early as possible, wanting to be more prepared than a boyscout, and wanting to protect your lady from everything that could conceivably go wrong. So as a fellow kindred spirit I'm just throwing out some advice that eventually worked for me.

Good info in the embassy post btw. :thumbs:

If I remember right on the form you must list the most recent address first. She may not move, but she may. I appreciate hand-hold comment. Unfortunately I have a setback today in obtaining her marriage certificate, divorce decree, translations, and certifications. It appears she has provided me with documents that are good for Russian purposes, but not good for U.S. requirements. As you know Russian women are quite private. I have an offer from a Siberian woman to call her to explain what is needed. I have passed this info to her previously. She neglected to make use of this help. She has a friend who is immigrating to Canada and waiting and has been trying to help. This friend told her she needed police certificate and medical now. I tried to explain Canadian process is different and pointed out both those are not needed until further down the road. I suppose maybe I wasn't clear enough in my explanation of what was needed. At least with the difference because this is not used by any Russian authority.

I've never felt you are picking on me. I always read and listen to whatever someone has to say. They wouldn't be saying it if they weren't trying to help.

Thanks!

Now I must contact that Russian woman who offered to help and be ready if Luba is willing to accept the help. And, I need to re-send my directions of what is needed that will satisfy the U.S. Government, not the Russian Government. She does work at a University and there is a Language department. I will suggest she print out the email and take to someone there who can explain what is needed from my directions. Believe me, I feel they are concise and easy to follow. I expect this will cause a 1-3 week delay. Not a long time in the whole scheme of things, but each additional day apart is not something either of us wants to endure, especially for reasons such as this.

Timeline:

19 Nov 2008 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.