shiri

Grr... Sent missing information before RFE generates

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
:crying: I could kick myself. I next dayed the DS230 part 1 & 2 with the photographs and supporting documents, but sent copies of the front and back of his birth certificate and a certified copy of our marriage license. We had left out his father's middle name on the DS230 and on the school info, forgot to fill in the course of study and diploma or degree only on the elementary school. I called the NVC when I got home and asked if what I sent for supporting docs was ok or which ones had to be originals. The lady told me the birth certiicate and marriage certificate had to be originals. She said I could send those in with a cover letter, but to make sure that I wrote the case number on the top right corner. So, I've also decided to fill in the two blanks we had left and I will overnight them tomorrow. Has anyone ever made this mistake before? How long do you think this will delay our case complete?

zachsmile2ym1.jpg

Married 3/15/07

USCIS:

NOA1: 5/23/2008

NOA2: 9/12/2008

NVC:

They received: 9/24/2008

Case Complete: 12/1/2008

Interview: 03/24/2009

Received approved visa (after RFE in interview): 04/21/2009

Timeline
:crying: I could kick myself. I next dayed the DS230 part 1 & 2 with the photographs and supporting documents, but sent copies of the front and back of his birth certificate and a certified copy of our marriage license. We had left out his father's middle name on the DS230 and on the school info, forgot to fill in the course of study and diploma or degree only on the elementary school. I called the NVC when I got home and asked if what I sent for supporting docs was ok or which ones had to be originals. The lady told me the birth certiicate and marriage certificate had to be originals. She said I could send those in with a cover letter, but to make sure that I wrote the case number on the top right corner. So, I've also decided to fill in the two blanks we had left and I will overnight them tomorrow. Has anyone ever made this mistake before? How long do you think this will delay our case complete?

Hi Shiri,

I didn't make that mistake, I sent originals - however I did have a situation where I sent back information on an RFE before receiving the hard copy and it turned out the operator had neglected to mention they wanted a copy of my Husband's Canadian PR card as well.

I did not have a positive experience in sending back the additional info without waiting for the 2nd RFE, as you can see from my signature below.

Operators told me to send it in, then told me to ignore the auto-message saying there was still something missing - however our file was not updated until I sent in the hard copy RFE cover with the photocopy of his PR card and contacted a supervisor.

So I'm not sure what to tell you, sometimes it works well to jump on sending the info early, sometimes not.

Generally once they deem the file to be in order and work on it, it only takes a few days to complete - but as I mentioned ours got hung up over that RFE.

All items sent to the NVC have to be originals - not sure if you sent any other photocopies - like the police certificate? The only photocopy you send is of the passport biographic page.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Hi Shiri,

I didn't make that mistake, I sent originals - however I did have a situation where I sent back information on an RFE before receiving the hard copy and it turned out the operator had neglected to mention they wanted a copy of my Husband's Canadian PR card as well.

I did not have a positive experience in sending back the additional info without waiting for the 2nd RFE, as you can see from my signature below.

Operators told me to send it in, then told me to ignore the auto-message saying there was still something missing - however our file was not updated until I sent in the hard copy RFE cover with the photocopy of his PR card and contacted a supervisor.

So I'm not sure what to tell you, sometimes it works well to jump on sending the info early, sometimes not.

Generally once they deem the file to be in order and work on it, it only takes a few days to complete - but as I mentioned ours got hung up over that RFE.

All items sent to the NVC have to be originals - not sure if you sent any other photocopies - like the police certificate? The only photocopy you send is of the passport biographic page.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Wow, that's what I get for being in too big of a hurry. All I really can do is sit back and see what they say. I sent the birth certificate and marriage certificate off yesterday morning and they should be arriving in the next 8 minutes.

zachsmile2ym1.jpg

Married 3/15/07

USCIS:

NOA1: 5/23/2008

NOA2: 9/12/2008

NVC:

They received: 9/24/2008

Case Complete: 12/1/2008

Interview: 03/24/2009

Received approved visa (after RFE in interview): 04/21/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.