TonyDanza

Adaquet Proof of BonaFide Marriage?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

He all.

I have an issue reading a few recent threads that have made me about as nervous as I can possibly be about my situation. All I have for adequate proof really is two NON NOTARIZED affadavits which friends wrote, a few copies of past phone bills including one month from 2005, a joint bank statement and the marriage certificate. We got married in Vegas and did it at a drive through, haha thats us though, and even only have a few pics. She (my US wife) couldn't prob get me in a suit if she tried, and we got married spontaneous while on holiday but haven't told her parents.

Anyway, I wanted to know if this is enough to prove our real marriage. I am nervous we are going to get the shakedown of all shakedowns as it is not a 'normal' church wedding with family and friends. Anyway that is a wayz away. Someone said I could get a lawyer for just that interview day. So do you all think I should include more stuff? Thanks

03/04/2007 Entered as Canadian Visitor (no i-94 issued)

07/23/2008 Married in Las Vegas, NV.

10/03/2008 Mailed i-130, i-485, EAD to Chicago.

10/10/2008 AOS packet accepted & signed for.

11/02/2008 Received 2 NOA's, one for each application.

11/29/2008 Received a Yellow RFE regarding i-485. (Need additional Tax Info.)

12/10/2008 Mailed back RFE with required material from sponsor and joint sponsor. Sent Priority.

01/14/2009 Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Notice.

01/01/2009 ASC Biometrics Appointment Completed.

Timeline

Also wanted to mention that someone said I could get a lawyer for just that interview day and that he comes in the meeting with you and the USCIS officer messes with you waayy less when a lawyer is present.

Do you all think I should include more stuff to prove it is bona fide and if so, what? I have looked at the list and dont have much else that I can think of. Thanks

12/10/2008 Mailed back RFE with required material from sponsor and joint sponsor. Sent Priority.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Also wanted to mention that someone said I could get a lawyer for just that interview day and that he comes in the meeting with you and the USCIS officer messes with you waayy less when a lawyer is present.

Do you all think I should include more stuff to prove it is bona fide and if so, what? I have looked at the list and dont have much else that I can think of. Thanks

It's more important to be prepared to show your bonafide marriage when you go to the interview.

All we sent with our I-130/I-485 concurrent application was the marriage certificate.

When we went to the interview we had originals and copies of all our joint assets (houses/cars), joint bank accounts (in both countries), and a few joint utility bills and joint insurance for the cars. We showed the photos we had, but only after we offered and the interviewer said he'd look, but didn't need to see them (I was disappointed, so I think that's why he looked).

As long as you start working on getting everything you can in some joint ownership now, you should be okay once your interview comes around. It's difficult to get some companies to put you on the account without the SSN, but others will. Also, some banks are better than others. We have 2 banks that allowed joint accounts, though.

Even if you can't get joint accounts with utilities, if you can get some in one name and some in the other, that would help as they would all come to the same address. Also, consider, if you have a credit card in one of your names and can get an authorized user card for your spouse, then you can show another joint account by showing both cards are on the same account and connects your names.

Below are some guidelines here on VJ that pertain to your question.

Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage

The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bonifide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as:

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that theres an ongoing marital union.

Does the above list give you any thoughts? :thumbs:

Timeline

Cool thank you.

Did you go in with a lawyer for your interview? I guess I can work on additional things till the interview. But I am really worried they will perceive the fact that we kind of 'ran off' and got married without family and friends as questionable. I mean we thought about another marriage down the road but for now this is what WE wanted. Anywho...appreciate it.

Cool thank you.

Did you go in with a lawyer for your interview? I guess I can work on additional things till the interview. But I am really worried they will perceive the fact that we kind of 'ran off' and got married without family and friends as questionable. I mean we thought about another marriage down the road but for now this is what WE wanted. Anywho...appreciate it.

You may be focusing on the word/term marriage in the 'ceremonial' sense rather than the joining of two households - which is what USCIS is looking for.

USCIS really doesn't care if you got hitched in a courthouse, the corner (Vegas) drive-through chapel, or had a princess wedding with 500 guests and lots of photographs.

They do care that you are together as a married couple and not a sham "green-card-marriage." They know (as we all do) that married couples do certain things together when/after they're married, they usually (although not always) open a bank account together, sign a lease or mortgage together, have bills (sometimes too many) together, they typically have the same insurance, and at the very least, they know people who know them as a married couple and are willing to sign off to that effect...

Those are the things to focus on...am not sure what a lawyer will provide in that respect...:thumbs:

Edited by Karin und Otto

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Cool thank you.

You really only have to be concerned to prove the bonafides of your marriage, not the ceremony. You may be questioned on intent at entry, but it seems at this time this does not come up in most interviews.

We did not have a lawyer at interview. I don't see how one would have helped - our interview was painless, really. I just wish that they were approving on the spot instead of pending review. But that's what's been happening at our District Office, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I really wouldn't worry about the proof of bona fide marriage now, just send the package with whatever you have and focus on collecting more evidence before your interview - you have at least 4+ months to do this! All we had at the interview was a joint apartment lease, joint check book, mail in my name to USC husband's address, 3 letters from friends and a big photo album/scrap book and we were fine. Some of the cards in the scrap book (inc one from my stepson on mother's day) and the letters made a big difference. We just had a courthouse wedding at 2 days notice with 2 guests, like the others said, they really care about the marriage as your life together rather than the ceremony. IMHO it would raise more red flags if someone came in as a visitor and then had a massive church wedding, as the whole point of marriage as a visitor is that you DIDN'T plan it ahead of time and it was spur of the moment thing!

We didn't take a lawyer to the interview either, it was pretty painless and would have been a waste of money. I'm not sure how much they could really help you if things go wrong anyway, and to me it looks like you have something to hide if you turn up with one - that and the money was why we didn't. None of the other couples we saw waiting had a lawyer, and we weren't asked about one at the start of the interview. Hope everything goes well!

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.