jordanzs

Other names used

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm getting ready to send in my K1 package, just had a quick question.

My fiance has her legal Indonesian last name, which is used on her passport, plane tickets, etc.

She also has a Chinese last name, and she uses that on myspace, facebook, etc.

I told her to put the Chinese last name in the "other names used" section. Not sure how much background investigation takes place, but if anyone went onto myspace, facebook, etc, they'd see her with a different last name.

To me, normally you'd fill out "other names used" if you had a nickname or abbreviation, however, the usage of different last names might imply a previous marraige, which isn't the case.

Question is, should I write up a letter of explanation and send it with my package, or is that something that gets handled later on in the process?

Thanks,

Jordan

Edited by jordanzs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Other names used is for Legal names used, that is on legal documents. Example a maiden name, or other married names if married before.

NOT nick names or a name used for on line reasons is not "Other Names Used"

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Hmmmmm, so I did I screw up my having her put her "Chinese last name" in the other names used on her G325A? Is that fixable with an explanation, or do I have to have her redo the G325A & send it over from Indo (another 1 week delay)??

I also put that in her other names used section on my I-129F, but that is easily fixable as I have my package in-hand, and haven't mailed it yet.

Edited by jordanzs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Hmmmmm, so I did I screw up my having her put her "Chinese last name" in the other names used on her G325A? Is that fixable with an explanation, or do I have to have her redo the G325A & send it over from Indo (another 1 week delay)??

I also put that in her other names used section on my I-129F, but that is easily fixable as I have my package in-hand, and haven't mailed it yet.

To be correct I would get another G-325A from her, a week delay is better than some confusion on the part USCIS when they do name checks.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

To be correct I would get another G-325A from her, a week delay is better than some confusion on the part USCIS when they do name checks.

I would tend to agree but I don't think we have enough information. I'm not sure what the OP means by "She has" with reference to a Chinese name. Perhaps, he means "she uses". I have a username/handle I use on the internet but it's never been on any documents or used officially. If that's all the "Chinese Name" is to her, then get a new G325a and leave it blank.

They aren't looking at internet personas, but legal records of actual name use.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

If you go to my facebook page, it links us up as me being "Engaged to Syelvia Wong". Everything she posts there, all over my page, her page, etc, has it under the name "Syelvia Wong", instead of her legal indonesian name of Syelvia Prahbowo. Her passport, plane ticket, etc, all use the legal last name of Prahbowo.

I might've been a bad judgement call on my part to have her include Syelvia Wong in the 'other last names used' section. I guess I was erring on the side of caution, as I'm in the mortgage industry and pull credit reports all day long, and different last names pop up all the time and require explanations. She can be googled under Syelvia Wong, and might have resumes floating out there on the web or examples of her graphic design work under Syelvia Wong. I was just imagining someone doing a background check and seeing on facebook/myspace that I'm engaged to Syelvia Wong! To me if I was an immigration officer, that might raise up some red flags!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
If you go to my facebook page, it links us up as me being "Engaged to Syelvia Wong". Everything she posts there, all over my page, her page, etc, has it under the name "Syelvia Wong", instead of her legal indonesian name of Syelvia Prahbowo. Her passport, plane ticket, etc, all use the legal last name of Prahbowo.

I might've been a bad judgement call on my part to have her include Syelvia Wong in the 'other last names used' section. I guess I was erring on the side of caution, as I'm in the mortgage industry and pull credit reports all day long, and different last names pop up all the time and require explanations. She can be googled under Syelvia Wong, and might have resumes floating out there on the web or examples of her graphic design work under Syelvia Wong. I was just imagining someone doing a background check and seeing on facebook/myspace that I'm engaged to Syelvia Wong! To me if I was an immigration officer, that might raise up some red flags!

Now you're starting to clear things up. Marion Morrison and Norma Jean Baker also had "professional" names and if engaged in a visa process would indicate in "other names used" John Wayne and Marilyn Monroe respectively. If your fiancee has a professional name under which she does design work, that's much differerent from "Pushbrk" as an internet persona.

With this further information, I'd use the G325a you have and add a sheet explaining how and why the Wong name is used.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I put my nickname in the "other names used" section. No RFE and no questions asked about it on the interview. Will have my passport with the visa on October 29 :)

I'm getting ready to send in my K1 package, just had a quick question.

My fiance has her legal Indonesian last name, which is used on her passport, plane tickets, etc.

She also has a Chinese last name, and she uses that on myspace, facebook, etc.

I told her to put the Chinese last name in the "other names used" section. Not sure how much background investigation takes place, but if anyone went onto myspace, facebook, etc, they'd see her with a different last name.

To me, normally you'd fill out "other names used" if you had a nickname or abbreviation, however, the usage of different last names might imply a previous marraige, which isn't the case.

Question is, should I write up a letter of explanation and send it with my package, or is that something that gets handled later on in the process?

Thanks,

Jordan

Timeline:

16-05-08 Sent I-129F to VSC

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

23-10-08 Interview - Approved

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-01-09 SSN card received (maiden name, changed to married name sometime after EAD received)

27-01-09 AOS documents sent

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

27-02-09 Biometrics appointment

02-04-09 Redo biometrics... aargghh!! >:(

03-04-09 Advance Parole received

10-04-09 EAD card received

01-05-09 RFE received

20-05-09 RFE response sent

25-06-09 AOS approved (CRIS e-mail notification)

07-07-09 Green Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.