Izoom

Canada Border Patrol

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I almost didn't make a topic on this, but I guess this topic could server as a general post about the CBP, unless there is a thread elsewhere.

Anyways, my question is in regards to the CBP's question of "purpose of visit". As some of you may or may not know, I'm flying up Saturday (10/25)

to do a little goodbye celebration with her friends/family and help her pack. We fly back together on Tuesday (10/28). I've never had a problem

with the CBP in Halifax, in fact, they are generally friendly and to the point about their job. I'm curious as to which response makes more sense when

asked about my reason for visiting Canada.

* I'm here to see my fiance and travel back with her to the United States and get married using her K-1 visa.

* I'm here to see my fiance...

* My fiance just got her K-1 visa and I'm here to help her pack and fly back home with her.

Any other issues/comments on the CBP you could post here as well. I like the fact that the checkpoint is in the airport, so if there are any problems,

hey...we're still in Canada :)

USA_a.gif

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Or you could just say visiting. I mean this is just my opinion but why add the word fiance? lol The last thing you would want is to not be let in to Canada like how some aren't allowed into the US. I'm biased though, I'm the Canadian citizen I've never had to worry getting back into the country.

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: Timeline
* My fiance just got her K-1 visa and I'm here to help her pack and fly back home with her.

I would go with the above. Shows you have no intent to stay and is the truth. I think that's what my husband said when he flew up to get me. Something along those lines, anyway. Congratulations! :)

iagree.gif

Timeline

I assumed that would be the best. Its honest, its letting them know I have no intentions of staying in Canada (nothing wrong with that, lol), and that I'm

pursuing a legal means of marriage and immigration. The irony is that other than letting me in the country, the K-1 process has little or nothing to do with

them from that point on.

Edited by Danielle-Justin

USA_a.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has traveled to Canada many times telling the Canadian Border Patrol "I'm here to visit my wife" and he's never had a problem or a concern. You'll be fine with saying you're visiting your fiance.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My husband has traveled to Canada many times telling the Canadian Border Patrol "I'm here to visit my wife" and he's never had a problem or a concern. You'll be fine with saying you're visiting your fiance.

Same for my fiance, he always says his here to see his family (we have 2 daughters), and he never had a problem coming in. so really....don't worry about it! just says what comes natural to you.

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

Timeline

The Canadian border patrol could care less about the K1. I would just tell them you are going to visit your fiancee. Then if they press for more give them more. They'll probably just ask how long you're staying. They are a lot less concerned with people immigrating illegally than the U.S. guys are.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Alrighty, well I guess it never hurts to ask around.

Sapphire - I agree with you 100%. The CBP guys seem more to-the-point and ask the required questions whereas the USCIS

guys scrutinize your choices, even without saying a word. I'm hoping they don't give her a hard time in Halifax International.

There is a pub in the waiting area for the US-bound flights, maybe we can pre-celebrate there after passing through the checkpoint :)

USA_a.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd also suggest going with the third option. If you have some proof of the K1, I'd bring it, just in case you get an officer who wants some evidence. Whether or not the visa has anything to do with them directly is moot -- you're asking for permission to enter a foreign country, which they can deny based on a million little things. If you have the proof, that'll show the officer that you're not intending to enter Canada and stay.

As for personal experiences, the one time I had tons of trouble entering Canada was at YVR. The CBSA officer I spoke to had a fit when I answered his question with, "I'm here to visit my girlfriend." His mouth dropped open and he looked at me as if I said I were carrying cocaine, an AK-47 and some explosives. Needless to say, a "Chinese Fire Drill" ensued and I was called back to secondary for questioning, where I was grilled quite thoroughly. I was released and allowed into Canada after about 45 minutes of interrogation.

Ever since then, I've avoided YVR as an entry point. I've also heard that YYZ is terrible, as well. I suppose it has something to do with the heavy traffic coming through there. Whatever the case, I've found that flying into nearly any other airport nets better results than Vancouver or Toronto.

Timeline

^^ That's interesting and I think very rare. I have a friend who worked at YYZ as a CBP and she told me about things they are looking for, and a lot of has to do with looks and matching profiles of faces they have to memorize. They must've been suspicious of you for some reason.

Whenever my boyfriend comes to visit me in Canada we joke about how he basically can say anything and they would let him in. He's come through at least 5 times where they don't even ask him any questions! They literally ask why are you visiting? He says, visiting my gf and then they stamped his passport and said, Have a great time! They've even ask him ZERO questions before, stamped his passport and said, have a nice day.

Justin - I honestly don't think you guys will have any problem at all at the border, either you coming into Canada or Danielle leaving Canada.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
^^ That's interesting and I think very rare. I have a friend who worked at YYZ as a CBP and she told me about things they are looking for, and a lot of has to do with looks and matching profiles of faces they have to memorize. They must've been suspicious of you for some reason.

Whenever my boyfriend comes to visit me in Canada we joke about how he basically can say anything and they would let him in. He's come through at least 5 times where they don't even ask him any questions! They literally ask why are you visiting? He says, visiting my gf and then they stamped his passport and said, Have a great time! They've even ask him ZERO questions before, stamped his passport and said, have a nice day.

Justin - I honestly don't think you guys will have any problem at all at the border, either you coming into Canada or Danielle leaving Canada.

That's how it is when Glen comes to Toronto as well, he says he is here to visit his Fiancee and they always say "Have a nice time" no questions asked. He is flying here Nov. 14 to get me and drive back together, I gave him a photocopy of my K-1 just in case to show them. He will be truthful as to why he is here, and if they ask for proof he has it.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When Chris came to get me in September, he was flying in from Seattle. He only had a one way ticket from Edmonton (since we were driving to Seattle).

I'm at the airport all excited - and waiting for those Edmonton doors to open to see his smiling face. I see that his plane has landed and I'm waiting - waiting - waiting. No Chris. Seems like the last passenger has come through the doors and its just me and the cleaning lady standing around. I must have waited for 30-40 minutes. Chris finally comes through the doors with a seriously pissed look on his face.

Apparently the border officer didn't like his response that he was "coming to get his wife" and only had a one way ticket from Edmonton. She grilled him for about 30 minutes about the purpose of his vacation and when he intended to leave, job, blah blah blah. So then he tried to explain that he's taking me to Hawaii to live and she asked for proof of that (ie: drivers' license). So Chris pulls out his Alaskan DL and tries to explain that he hasn't updated that yet. Finally he remembers that he has his travel orders from Uncle Sam and gives those to her. She looks at them like they're in Chinese and asks what does that prove? Then she asked him to open his briefcase, cause she thought she smelled something. :lol:

I found the whole thing comical. I mean his story did sound kinda sketch and I can just picture how annoyed they probably were with one another.

Timeline

I've found only a handful of VJ members that either lived or still live in Nova Scotia. I will be the first to write a P.O.E. review for Halifax I suppose :)

I figure I'll just tell them I'm visiting my fiance and if he pushes for any more information, I'll tell him. The previous 4 visits have all been "have a nice day" type

of greetings from CBP. The USCIS people are little more curious when US citizens are returning, but its their job. Techniccaly speaking, the first bit of American

soil we land on will be Boston, then Atlanta, and finally West Palm Beach around midnight.

Post-checkpoint areas are still within the "rules and laws" of the governing country, not the sovereign nation represented right?

USA_a.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be going through Halifax for my POE (when the time arrives) as well. I've flown out of Halifax for all my trips down though, and I can honestly say I've only ever had one lad that was iffy with my responses. I gave him a few more details about my visit and he was satisfied. They are all very good there, I hope you get the older gentleman I had twice - Nicest man you will ever meet :) Asked me about my fiance and what my favorite things to do when we were together. He said he can just imagine how lovely a wedding we will have once we get our paperwork <3

I don't think you have any reason to be worried. Give them your answer and look them in the eyes, and they generally are quite happy to stamp you and send you along :)

<3 Jen

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.