STEPHnRIA

Magic Jack

54 posts in this topic

Ping,

May nakita ako for sales sa Davao kaso mahal.

http://www.davaoexchange.com/transact.php?...&topic=6251

Ito naman ang going rate sa Manila.

http://ph.88db.com/ph/Services/Post_Detail.../?PostID=219911

Ria, Sorry kung KJ ako sa presyo. :P

May ganyan din kami. Ok siya. Pero masgusto ko ang webchats. May video kasi. Anyway, ang importante naman nakakausap natin ang mga mahal natin sa buhay. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ria: Yeah i gotcha coz you plug in a regular phone in the magic jack ;). Ill explain it to you in laymans term hehe.

You have modem (for your cable or dsl connection) or a patch (if you have a wireless connection like SmartBro). Your computer is plugged into the modem where it gets its internet connection. Magic Jack is kinda like a jump drive that you plug into the computer's usb port.

So its like: modem ----> computer ----> Magic Jack ----> regular phone

(unless you have a router then its gonna be a different story)

The source of your internet connection is the modem. Since the computer comes first before the Magic Jack... that means if the computer loses internet connection.... the Magic Jack wont work. So its possible that if the computer is massively sending and receiving information thru the internet.... it might slow down the connection of the Magic Jack. It will still have a dial tone BUT its choppy... but thats temporary and minor. You just need to close all browsers (internet explorer, firefox, opera...etc)... and exit any downloading engine (like utorrent, bittorrent, limewire.... etc). And its back to normal.

Ill try to find it here so i can test it too. Weeeeee i have a new toy.

I-129F Sent------------------------------------------04.21.2008

Interview Date---------------------------------------09.12.2008 (white and pink slip)

Visa Received----------------------------------------10.20.2008

US Entry----------------------------------------------10.29.2008 (POE: Detroit)

Marriage----------------------------------------------12.18.2008

(Cant file AOS yet, had to wait after filing taxes)

AOS packet sent w/ EAD----------------------------03.19.2009

NOA1 - Receipt Notice-------------------------------03.27.2009

1st Biometrics Appointment Notice-----------------03.31.2009 (for I-485 & I-765)

Transfer Notice (to CSC)----------------------------04.09.2009

1st Biometrics Schedule-----------------------------04.21.2009 (Attendant said either my fingerprints had slightly faded or their scanning machine sucks... #######?!)

2nd Biometrics Appointment Notice----------------04.23.2009 (*sigh*)

2nd Biometrics Schedule----------------------------05.14.2009 (for I-485)

Received EAD (sent by mail)-----------------------05.18.2009

Welcome Notice-------------------------------------06.01.2009 (for I-485)

Approval Notice and Resident Card received------06.11.2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

ping visajourney.com hehehe

Product-500.jpg

phsmall.gif

Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent : 05-07-08

I-129F NOA1 : 05-15-08

Touched : 06-26-08

NOA2 : 08/29/08

ApprovaL NVC sent:09/01/08

Arrived @ NCV :09/03/08

called NVC 09/04/08 received case #*

NOA2 hard copy in mail Sept. 6, 2008

LetteR from NVC: Sept. 8, 2008

Left NVC : Sept. 24, 2008 > Arrived Sept. 29th

Medical Oct. : 7/13/2008 passed!

Interview date: Oct. 20,2008 7am ***APPROVED***

Visa delivery : Oct. 23,2008

Arrival in USA : oCt. 29 ,2008 POE Houston, Tx.

Life is good !!

<

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I looked at this and while it's promising it requires broadband... which my fiancee does not have (well, or a computer). Can I get magic jack with a manila phone number so that she can call using her cell or whatever local line is available without having extra fees (is local calling in the philippines part of a standard fee or is that usage based, it'd be nice to be able to spend more time talking on the phone)?

Timeline
I looked at this and while it's promising it requires broadband... which my fiancee does not have (well, or a computer). Can I get magic jack with a manila phone number so that she can call using her cell or whatever local line is available without having extra fees (is local calling in the philippines part of a standard fee or is that usage based, it'd be nice to be able to spend more time talking on the phone)?

U can buy it in the US and you can call her Manila number for free. That's what I know. You may want to check out their website www.magicJack.com.

January 16, 2008 - sent I-129F (Vermont)

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

August 7&9,2008 - Medical K1&K2

August 21, 2008 - Paid document verification fee (P1,300)

August 27, 2008 - Interview

September 08,2008 - Document Verification request sent to NSO

Spetember 19,2008 - Document Verification done -sent back to US Embassy Manila

November 03, 2008 - Case under review

November 26, 2008 - VISA printed

November 28, 2008 - VISA in transit

December 02, 2008- VISA IN HAND

January 12, 2009 - Arrived USA, POE Los Angeles

January 21, 2009 - Got married

January 22, 2009 - Applied for SSN

AOS

February 10, 2009 - Went to Dr. Janet Pettyjohn for form I-693

February 11, 2009 - Sent our AOS packet to Chicago

February 12, 2009 - Packet received signed for by L BOX

February 22, 2009 - Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

March 17, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

March 21, 2009 - SSN card arrived in the mail

April 6, 2009 - took driver's license exam and passed! (written and road test)

April 10, 2009 - Repeat Biometrics Appointment

April 14,2009 - Received AP documents in the mail

April 16, 2009 - Received EAD in the mail

SEptember 4, 2009 - GREENCARD received

No. Broadband is needed. It's similar to Vonage but differs in the ff:

1. It passes through a PC unlike Vonage which has it's own modem

2. It has an annual subscription fee (around $20) whereas Vonage has a monthly subscription fee of $25

Timeline
Ping,

May nakita ako for sales sa Davao kaso mahal.

http://www.davaoexchange.com/transact.php?...&topic=6251

Ito naman ang going rate sa Manila.

http://ph.88db.com/ph/Services/Post_Detail.../?PostID=219911

Ria, Sorry kung KJ ako sa presyo. :P

May ganyan din kami. Ok siya. Pero masgusto ko ang webchats. May video kasi. Anyway, ang importante naman nakakausap natin ang mga mahal natin sa buhay. :)

Sus! Actually if the P3,000 is true medyo namahal yata ako. But I thought of the P6,000 that I was spending each month on PLDT Budget cards. And Stephen is spending $200 a month... he is paying 19 cents per minute. So I will cut down his phonebill and put that to our savings...

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

AOS

Timeline
Ria: Yeah i gotcha coz you plug in a regular phone in the magic jack ;). Ill explain it to you in laymans term hehe.

You have modem (for your cable or dsl connection) or a patch (if you have a wireless connection like SmartBro). Your computer is plugged into the modem where it gets its internet connection. Magic Jack is kinda like a jump drive that you plug into the computer's usb port.

So its like: modem ----> computer ----> Magic Jack ----> regular phone

(unless you have a router then its gonna be a different story)

The source of your internet connection is the modem. Since the computer comes first before the Magic Jack... that means if the computer loses internet connection.... the Magic Jack wont work. So its possible that if the computer is massively sending and receiving information thru the internet.... it might slow down the connection of the Magic Jack. It will still have a dial tone BUT its choppy... but thats temporary and minor. You just need to close all browsers (internet explorer, firefox, opera...etc)... and exit any downloading engine (like utorrent, bittorrent, limewire.... etc). And its back to normal.

Ill try to find it here so i can test it too. Weeeeee i have a new toy.

Uh, you explained it well! HAHAHA! Told you Im not good at all these techie stuff. I just try harder because of my fiancee in the US. Gotta find ways to cut down the cost.

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

AOS

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Oh btw, Ria... can you test it for me if you are free. ;) PRETTY PLEASE. :D

Try downloading a movie thru utorrent or any huge file in bittorrent and check if the quality of the line fluctuates... if it gets choppy(?)... coz its internet based. Its connected to the computer, its somehow dependent on the computer's internet usage... they are sharing bandwidth.

(Kulit ko no?!)

Huh? Ok I will try but I guess you missed the part where I said Im dumb when it comes to computers. Lol! All I can say is... the quality is like a regular phone. YOu know like PLDT, BAYANTEL, SMART etc etc.

Oh and by the way, no monthly or annual fee of $19.95. I just paid P4,500 for MagicJack and that's it.

Hi Ria, when you told about this magic jack, I searched for this in sulit.com.ph and yes, there are lots of people selling this (in different prices!)... P4500 is a bit high coz I saw that you can buy it for less than P3000... Did your seller explained to you that the P4500 you paid is only good for 1 year? and after this you pay $19.95 per year (depends if you want to renew the services)...

I asked her just now, she said no $19.95 after a year. That is if you buy that in the US daw. But here in Philippines, one time payment of P4,500. I saw their ad at Philippine Star newpaper.

Oh, if that's what she said then that's great... Coz all of those ads that I saw in sulit.com.ph are saying that you will pay the 19.95 USD after a year...

Timeline

Call these numbers na lang so they can explain more precisely. Take note that I don't own or I don't have shares in this company.

Look for Jojo Cabrera (female)- Tel no. (02) 729-8048, 729-8126, 886-3557, 886-4035

Their office is in Makati and since Im in the province, they sent the magicjack thru courier (Air21). I ordered it Tuesday, I got it yesterday.

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

AOS

Sus! Actually if the P3,000 is true medyo namahal yata ako. But I thought of the P6,000 that I was spending each month on PLDT Budget cards. And Stephen is spending $200 a month... he is paying 19 cents per minute. So I will cut down his phonebill and put that to our savings...

Like what I said before basta nakakausap natin mahal natin sa buhay. :)

But for those with broadband connections at home. I would suggest that you buy a webcam (P450) and use either Skype, Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger (albeit slow regardless of ISP). Since most calls are scheduled due to the time zones, web chatting is better since you also have video. Iba talaga kapag nakikita mo ang mga mahal mo sa buhay. Plus these services are free!

And this also helped a lot during my interview, I only submitted 4 pictures during my interview one is before we were married, one after and the two were Skype and Windows Live Messenger screenshots with my wife and baby. Because of this, emails, chat logs and phone bills were no longer required as proof of secondary evidence of identity. Kita na kausap ko yung asawa at anak ko! :thumbs: (Kaso ipit naman ang DV ko sa NSO! :angry: ) So for those who will be interviewed take note! :dance:

Our family already has a Magic Jack for the past two months. The main advantage is that you can call landlines and cell phones without metered rates. Pero hindi ko rin ginagamit. If I have to call my wife, I just use my Globe or Sun lines (mahal kapag Smart) and tell her to get online. Tutal minsan na lang kami gumagamit ng phone kasi araw-araw naman kami nagkikita sa webcam. :wacko:

Masgusto ko pa rin ang Magic Text galing sa Delbros! :jest:

Edited by Jose Rizal

Timeline
ping visajourney.com hehehe

Hahaha :P

No. Broadband is needed. It's similar to Vonage but differs in the ff:

1. It passes through a PC unlike Vonage which has it's own modem

2. It has an annual subscription fee (around $20) whereas Vonage has a monthly subscription fee of $25

JoseRizal: Im searching online where i can get it cheaper than that ;). Its not a modem actually. Your Internet Service Provider gives you the modem. Vonage will give you a "voice gateway". Its a device that allows transmission of voice over internet protocol. :)

maliciant: I am not sure if you can get a philippine country code and area code. I havent figured that out yet. With vonage, you can only get numbers from US, Canada and some European countries. The whole purpose of this is get the same country code and area code as to whomever you call or calls you often . That way, either of you can call each other free of charge. Its just like landline to landline.

Actually if you use a mobile phone in here to call another mobile phone or land line... it will use up her credits if its prepaid or eat her minutes if its post paid. Landline to landline is unlimited though.

Uh, you explained it well! HAHAHA! Told you Im not good at all these techie stuff. I just try harder because of my fiancee in the US. Gotta find ways to cut down the cost.

Oh i know, i spent a lot PLDT budget cards before vonage. At least i dont have to worry about spending too much time on the phone coz its unlimited. I practically live in my phone and computer hehehe.

Interview Date---------------------------------------09.12.2008 (white and pink slip)

1st Biometrics Appointment Notice-----------------03.31.2009 (for I-485 & I-765)

1st Biometrics Schedule-----------------------------04.21.2009 (Attendant said either my fingerprints had slightly faded or their scanning machine sucks... #######?!)

@maliciant

You can only call your fiancee using MG through the PC only. You cannot make free calls to Philippine land and cell phones. But she call you ANYTIME FOR FREE to your PC, home land line, cell phone, and even your work land line! Now why would you want that? (Just kidding!) :thumbs:

Since you mentioned that she doesn't have a PC much less a broadband connection, a cheap alternative for both of you is for her to go to internet cafes and communicate with you using Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, or Windows Live Messenger. Also, you can use screen captures of your video chats as secondary proof of identity. (See my previous post.)

Ping,

Router (gateway) pala. My bad! :blush:

Ping,

Prices vary in the net ranging from 3K to 7K.

Edited by Jose Rizal

Timeline
Ping,

Router (gateway) pala. My bad! :blush:

Half true. :)

Let me explain (trivia trivia tayo). This will be useful when you go to US coz its a must to have a broadband connection in the US. You wanna know what you are dealing with so the ISPs wont cheat you. (Not trying to be a smart a$$.)

Modem - Its the device that your ISP will give you which allows you to connect to them coz most ISPs (especially cable) they register the mac address (ID) of the modem. If its DSL, its thru a phone line (RJ11 cables). If its cable, its thru coax (those round and fat cables at the back of your TV). The modem will only allow internet connection to ONE computer.

Router - This is NOT a modem. Its a common mistake. I dont blame you, they look the same. This doesnt connect you to your ISP. It doesnt have an RJ11 port so you cant connect it to the phone jack nor does it have a jack for the coax cable. You have to plug in the router to the modem. This simply shares the internet connection from the modem to 2 or MORE COMPUTERS. This allows you to have a local network (2 or more computers connected to each other).

Gateways - They are pathways. It either allows voice transmission thru internet as the case with voice gateways. Or from public network (internet thru modem) to local or private network (your computers) as the case with cable/dsl gateways.

Now heres where it gets tricky. There are gateways that has router capabilities.

Modem + router = cable/dsl gateway ---> Its a modem and router in one. That means you can plug in 2 or more computers (depending on how many ethernet ports it has).

Router + Voice gateway = VOIP routers ---> Its a router and voice gateway in one. You need to plug this into the modem so it can go online. You can plug in 2 or more computers (depending on how many ethernet ports it has). And if you have a VOIP subscription, you can plug in the phone too.

*** I didnt know JoseRizal is a dude. Haha i thought you just like Jose Rizal. :P

Ria: Sorry, im not trying to take over your thread. Im just bored. :)

Edited by PingLocalHostess

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.