ruby_mtl

Question about K1

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm reposting this because I was moved to introduction because of title.

Hello all,

I've been reading some of the discussions and thought I'd join in. I wish I knew about this website earlier....I think it's great to be able to communicate with people with similar situations. We just started the fiancée process (K1). My fiancé put the application in the mail yesterday.

He is the American citizen, I'm a Canadian citizen. We have 2 daughters together who were born in Montreal, where I live. My fiancé will do dual citizenship (born abroad) for both of them, so they are not included in this process (although we did write their names of course).

About 15 years ago, my mother got us SSN that are not valid for employment. My mother is also canadian and never lived in the States, but she bought a house in FL and was able to apply for it somehow....I don't know the details and she doesn't remember. My fiancé and his mother seem to think that the fact that I've had a SSN for roughly 15years will help. Is that true? Anyone knows?

Also any inside info that anyone has on K1 and Montreal processing will be greatly appreciated!!

Hopefully as I go through this process, I will be able to help others.

Thanks

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

Timeline

Post #2

An SSN wil neither help nor hurt... Providing or not providing the required evidence is what will help you or hurt you. Since a SSN is not a required piece of evidence, it never comes into play...

--------------------

QUOTE(payxibka @ Oct 15 2008, 11:08 AM)

An SSN wil neither help nor hurt... Providing or not providing the required evidence is what will help you or hurt you. Since a SSN is not a required piece of evidence, it never comes into play...

Thanks for your reply. That's what I thought and tried to explain to them.

I have another question for people....I just saw the guide about sending I-129F package. We did not put a cover letter and did not put a lot of evidence that we met personally besides our daughters' birth certificate. We figured it was enough but now I'm afraid we should've put more. Given that we sent everything yesterday, is there a way to send more info? To same address?

Thanks again

--------------------

Aug. 2005 --- Met at Carnival in Toronto, Canada

Feb. 2006 --- Started relationship, visiting each other regularly back and forth between Albany, NY and Montreal, Canada

Jul. 2007 --- Birth of our 1st child - our beautiful flower

Mar. 2008 --- Got engaged!! yay!

Aug. 2008 --- Birth of our 2nd child - our precious gem

Oct. 14th, 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC....FINALLY!!!!!

LuckyDucky

Post #4

My evidence was relatively minimal for meeting in person: dated boarding passes, credit card statement for flight, about 6 dated pictures, and a photocopy of the used visa and entry/exit stamp into the country. It's usually for the final interview at the embassy when people bring a lot of evidence to prove a real and true relationship.

If you only put your daughters' birth certificates, it may or may not be sufficient. Strictly speaking, they have no way of verifying with the birth certificates that your fiance is your daughters' biological father. I guess it depends on the person reviewing the case.

I would not recommend sending information on its own. There's a very good chance that it'll never get "united" with your I-129F filing. If they require more evidence, they will send you a Request for Evidence (RFE).

This post has been edited by LuckyDucky: Today, 11:58 AM

ruby_mtl

Post #5

Point well taken...I guess we'll have to wait and see....we were so stupid not to send more....we see each other about twice a month so we have PLENTY of evidence!!!

Oh well...you live and learn!!

Thanks LuckyDucky!

--------------------

129F

AOS, EAD, AP

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ!!! Hope you can find some answers to any of your questions and also provide some answers for other who follow you.

In the past, things were a lot different. Around 20 years ago, one of my friend's Mother moved to the U.S. to marry an American, and didn't require any kind of visa to do so. She just simply drove across the border with her fiance and her van loaded with her belongings. It's changed a lot since then (unfortunately for us!!!!).

So, perhaps the rules regarding SSN's were different 15 years ago as well, because I can't understand why your Mother would have been given a SSN just because she owned a home in Florida. My former in-laws owned a home at Mt. Baker (in Washington state) and they certainly were not allowed SSN's. They were always considered Canadians and were only allowed to spend 6 months a year at their home in Washington state.

Good luck for a speedy approval!!!!

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline
Welcome to VJ!!! Hope you can find some answers to any of your questions and also provide some answers for other who follow you.

In the past, things were a lot different. Around 20 years ago, one of my friend's Mother moved to the U.S. to marry an American, and didn't require any kind of visa to do so. She just simply drove across the border with her fiance and her van loaded with her belongings. It's changed a lot since then (unfortunately for us!!!!).

So, perhaps the rules regarding SSN's were different 15 years ago as well, because I can't understand why your Mother would have been given a SSN just because she owned a home in Florida. My former in-laws owned a home at Mt. Baker (in Washington state) and they certainly were not allowed SSN's. They were always considered Canadians and were only allowed to spend 6 months a year at their home in Washington state.

Good luck for a speedy approval!!!!

Thank you for your reply. I agree...I don't why she was given a SSN. All my mom remembers is that she filled out a form and got the cards, one for her, one for me. I wrote it on the forms because I didn't want to hide anything. I just hope that USCIS doesn't see it as something bad.....

129F

AOS, EAD, AP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.