Ju&Ja

Questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hey you VJs !

Just some questions...

We filed in july for the K1 with the California center.

- I would like to know what is the official name of the afidavit of support in packet 3 ? I know that 2 different exist and I would like to know which one I need so my fiancé can send it to me a couple weeks before.

- Can you tell me if the bank paper and stuff have to be at a special date ? I mean, if he send me the papers 2 weeks before I receive the package is it ok ?

- Last question, I have a valid passport but not the last one, I think that I have the biometric and not the numeric. I'm in the states right now so I know that it is ok to travel, but is it ok to immigrate ?

Love

Ju

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hey you VJs !

Just some questions...

We filed in july for the K1 with the California center.

- I would like to know what is the official name of the afidavit of support in packet 3 ? I know that 2 different exist and I would like to know which one I need so my fiancé can send it to me a couple weeks before. Is called the I-134

- Can you tell me if the bank paper and stuff have to be at a special date ? I mean, if he send me the papers 2 weeks before I receive the package is it ok ?Yes thats fine

- Last question, I have a valid passport but not the last one, I think that I have the biometric and not the numeric. I'm in the states right now so I know that it is ok to travel, but is it ok to immigrate ? As long as your passport is current and has at least 6-8 months left on it before it expires, it is fine. Biometric is the new style so that is OK.

Love

Ju

I suggest that you get a biometric passport ASAP as it may save you a lot trouble in the future. I too have the old non-biometric passport and it will expire on Jan 2012. But a new law in my country says that old passports will no longer be valid after Jan 2010 even if they are still valid. Getting a new home passport when you're in the US is much more difficult to obtain. What if the nearest consulate is 1,000 miles from where you live? You have to be present in order to get a biometric passport as electronic fingerprints are required.

Timeline

She says she has the biometric passport. However if you do have the numeric is it ok to use until it expires.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for your replies. Apparently I don't have the biometric, I have just the one before. I know that this passport is ok cuz' I'm in the US right now. I just wanted to be sure that it will be ok for the interview. I might change it after, cuz' I gave my actual passport number for my K1 application. I will live 40 miles from LA and in case of problem the french consulate is in LA so it is cool.

Merci !!!

Timeline

Yes it still should be fine, as long as it has the two lines of readable numbers and >>>>>> on the ID page it is fine. They are rolling out the biometric passports but they will accept all the older style ones until they expire. If in doubt check this link which details all the valid passports you can use http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/mrp_bio.html

They only started issuing these 2005/2006 so by 2016 everyone should have a biometric passport and they will probably stop accepting the old one. I will change mine after I get married as they are very expensive!

Edited by Laura+Tom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.