Misty1979

Advice on obtaining a waiver for my dad to come visit

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, I was going to post this in the regular forums, but wasn't quite sure which sub-forum to post under, and I'm just too addicted to the Canadian forum to go anywhere else, so I figured I'd try my question here first :blush: !

I've been accepted into the US Coast Guard, and will be leaving for bootcamp sometime in early December. I will be graduating in February, and would really love for my Dad to be here for it, (and I know the possibility of him not being able to come is breaking his heart right now.)

The problem is, he was found guilty of uttering threats earlier this year (it's a long story, but my Dad is actually a very even tempered man, however, my step-mom was sucked into a scam by someone she had met, and it ended up costing them their house...the people running this scam are being dealt with in court now for fraud. Naturally my father was very angry at this person and said some nasty things.) He is going to appeal the case, but that will take a few months, and he won't be able to make it in time, so for now, he is stuck with a criminal record, which means he won't be able to come see me.

Anyways, I've heard before of people applying for a waiver just to visit for a couple days, and that's what I'm hoping I can help my father get.

Does anyone know what this waiver is called, or any advice on how to apply for it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Timeline

Oh wow. That's just horrible, Misty. I am so sorry to hear of this, on all counts. To be honest, you'd probably get your best answers from the waiver forum. Or maybe even the "Bringing Family Members" forum. I hope this turns out well for all of you. Congratulations on being accepted into the Coast Guard! That's awesome.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

I'm sorry to hear this as well Misty. I don't remember what the waiver is called, or if there is even a name. My understanding in the past is that if you have a criminal record, you can just apply for a visitor's visa. At that time, when asked why you need one, given you're a Canadian, you'd explain the circumstances etc.

I worked for years in the Criminal Justice system and one thing you should know is that having a criminal record does not mean you can't visit the US. Immigration and visiting are not the same. Border officials usually turn back people who have records that consist of drugs, sexual offences, and DWI. At the same time, unless you're asked about a criminal record, you don't divulge it, and you can and are usually let through. Just like anything we talk about here, you can't lie, but if not asked, you don't divulge.

I had lots of clients in Canada who regularly came across the border without any trouble. They did know however that if asked, they'd have to state the truth, and they might be turned back, so they usually had alternative plans...like not crossing. At the same time, I would say a majority, a large majority, came for visits.

I'm afraid that the ones that didn't get through, usually were asked about a criminal record, based on what I believe was a discriminatory practice. Again, this is all conjecture, but some of my clients were the sterotypical "criminal", as you'd see on TV. Perhaps not the best hygeine, slovenly dressed, driving a "beater" car....sorry, I'm not being very politically correct, but in 26 years, I think I only had 2 clients that were asked about their record, both were driving, both "looked" like they were released from prison. :blink: Remember Tom Hanks in Castaway? Yeah...kind of like that. They were both denied entry.

All my other clients were let in. Most flew, although a few took the bus, and some drove.

I don't know if this helps you at all. If you father is on probation, I'm sure his probation officer can assist with maybe a travel permit, or letter.

I too congratulate you on your getting into the Coast Guard!

Hope your Dad can some to the graduation. Let us know how this situation turns out for you! Best of luck!

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.