Pandora01

POE experiences you've had

44 posts in this topic

I'm starting to plan our moving trip and the shortest route goes through Ontario (I'm in the province of Quebec and will be moving to North Dakota). The shortest itinerary I found would make us cross the border in Sarnia, Ontario. Has anybody crossed there? If so, what was your experience?

I've heard a lot of good from people crossing at the Peace Bridge but that would be quite a detour (extra 3 hours according to MapQuest) and I'm wondering what other options we have in case Sarnia is a problemed POE.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Krikit. I hadn't noticed this feature on VJ. I'll go take a look at some POEs in Ontario.

Not much indeed on Sarnia though and dating back to 2005. I wonder if they've improved their knowledge since. I'll wait and see if I get more comments here. Maybe other people crossed there more recently. Might have to put up with a little longer trip though.

I hear you, re: the boring drive through Ontario. Just trying to figure out the shortest route though.

Just did a check on MapQuest and I'm surprised. Thought it would take much longer to go that way but it turns out it's the same amount of time as if we go through the Peace Bridge. Interesting.

I'm still curious about people's experience crossing in Ontario though. Just keeping all my options open here. And while we're at it, I'm interested in people who crossed from the province of Quebec too. I looked at the POE reviews but a lot of them don't mention where they crossed.

Edited by Pandora01

Filed: Timeline

Well, it seems the original entry I did for the POE reviews was lost during one of the upgrades. But here's my post on it: Buffalo Peace Bridge POE

There's someone on the Canada Forum who crossed at Quebec but I can't recall their name at the moment. If I remember correctly, it was a pleasant experience for them.

iagree.gif

Thanks again, Krikit. You had a good experience at the Peace Bridge too. I'm leaning more and more towards going through there but I'll wait and see what others have to say. One thing is sure, I don't mind the boring scenery if it means a peaceful and easy border crossing :)

Crossing at the Peace Bridge is definitely far more scenic than that loooooooooong boring road to the Windsor Sarnia area.

The other thing to consider about that stretch of road is the time of year you're travelling. During the winter months that road gets pretty dangerous with icy sections and whiteouts.

iagree.gif

The road to Sarnia does? Ouch, another plus for the Peace Bridge then. With a truck and 16' trailer in tow, I want us to make it safely. Thanks for the heads up, Krikit! :)

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Pandora01,

In answer to your question, the three land crossings I know of and have been through many times before, that are between Southern Ontario, Canada and New York State, USA are:

1) The Peace Bridge: Fort Erie, Ontario--->Buffalo, New York (I highly recommend this crossing, as that's the one with the least problems encountered and is overall pretty quick to cross through)

2) The Rainbow Bridge: Niagara Falls, Ontario--->Niagara Falls, New York (Do not go through here!)

3) The Queenston/Lewiston Bridge: Queenston, Ontario--->Lewiston, New York

For other land crossings, you can see the following US CBP government website link for more information: http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index.asp

My VJ timeline (the link is below on my signature) for my POE experience (what a nightmare!) is the following: "Chapter 1 "Visited": Ant travelled from Canada to see long-term boyfriend D in the USA. Ant and D being harassed at the USA/Canada border for 2 hours was 'not a picnic in the park' for them. The Immigration Officer then made Ant get a B2 Visitor's Visa Passport Stamp and I-94 Arrival-Departure Card to visit, even though Canadians are exempt from such. Oh well, what originally was a two week vacation visit, instead was a 'lifelong visit'. Chapter 1 Timeline: 2 Hours."

Hope this helps. Good luck at your POE and the rest of your immigration journey.

Ant (Travelling land-crossing bridges between the USA and Canada...)

I'm starting to plan our moving trip and the shortest route goes through Ontario (I'm in the province of Quebec and will be moving to North Dakota). The shortest itinerary I found would make us cross the border in Sarnia, Ontario. Has anybody crossed there? If so, what was your experience?

I've heard a lot of good from people crossing at the Peace Bridge but that would be quite a detour (extra 3 hours according to MapQuest) and I'm wondering what other options we have in case Sarnia is a problemed POE.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

You're welcome, Pandora01! Yup, 10 mins in and out on both ends (though it might be a little bit longer if you are moving stuff across the border) at the "Peace Bridge"

Lol...wish we had used the "Peace Bridge" for the POE instead, as that would saved us a lot of trouble!....Oh well, no need to worry about that now, as we usually use the "Peace Bridge" most of the time to cross over and back for visits between the USA and Canada...:)

Ant

Thanks, Ant. :) Peace Bridge sounds like a winner more and more!
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I'm curious about something though. Did they ever ask you why you go through Peace Bridge instead of another POE? Just wondering 'cause it happened one day to a friend of mine. He was travelling back to Canada and went through Rouses Point (really small POE) rather than Lacolle (really big POE). When asked why he crossed there instead of Lacolle, he replied "Because it's faster." He ended up having to pull over and have his car searched. Maybe the answer wasn't right, but I'm wondering if that, or something similar, ever happened to you.

I've crossed the border at various POE's from the east coast to the west coast a kazillion times and I have never been asked that question. Guess it was your friend's lucky day. :lol:

Ant, it will take them longer to cross because they are coming through on a visa and will have to go through secondary processing.

iagree.gif

Lucky day, I wonder. He had just stocked up on some alcohol at the duty free. I don't know if he had the intention of declaring it or not but he didn't get any choice! :lol:

I agree it'll be more than 10 minutes because of the visa. But 10 minutes to cross on a regular visit beats hours trying to cross at Lacolle :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.