newspud

AOS: When to use a lawyer?

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm new to VJ and have been hunting around quite a bit. I was recently married and now we're looking at getting our paperwork done. Lots of folks here have not used a lawyer and I've come across some who have. I'm just wondering, in your opinions, what constitutes a circumstance when you have to use a lawyer?

My husband's VISA (r/b1/b2) expired in 2000. He's been working and paying taxes since that time.

Other than that, I don't think that there's anything that may stand in the way of us filling out the forms ourselves except the fact that he owes child support.

I've downloaded the forms and read over all instructions, etc. Of course, there are some questions that I have, but nothing that seems insurmountable, although I do worry about having the most current info and all the loopholes that seem to exist in the law.

Also, just wondering if anyone has, rather than sending everything in at once, sent forms piecemeal. I know it's not ideal but we are slowly putting the money together and I wonder if it's not worth it to send in what we can for now - or wait until we can send it all in at once?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so glad I found this forum - I've learned a lot and printed out many posts already!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
Hi All,

I'm new to VJ and have been hunting around quite a bit. I was recently married and now we're looking at getting our paperwork done. Lots of folks here have not used a lawyer and I've come across some who have. I'm just wondering, in your opinions, what constitutes a circumstance when you have to use a lawyer?

My husband's VISA (r/b1/b2) expired in 2000. He's been working and paying taxes since that time.

Other than that, I don't think that there's anything that may stand in the way of us filling out the forms ourselves except the fact that he owes child support.

I've downloaded the forms and read over all instructions, etc. Of course, there are some questions that I have, but nothing that seems insurmountable, although I do worry about having the most current info and all the loopholes that seem to exist in the law.

Also, just wondering if anyone has, rather than sending everything in at once, sent forms piecemeal. I know it's not ideal but we are slowly putting the money together and I wonder if it's not worth it to send in what we can for now - or wait until we can send it all in at once?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so glad I found this forum - I've learned a lot and printed out many posts already!

Welcome to VJ!

I am in the same situation. Read my timeline.

I did send I-130 alone (for different reason) and couple weeks later the I-485 & I-765.

So far so good.

In his situation do not send I-131. It is asking for troubles. He cannot leave the States till you get GC.

And I did all by myself. No lawyers. Just the wonderful people here on the forum and their experience.

Edited by Maad

AOS from B-2

08/05/08 I-485 filed

02/03/09 CGC received

12/09/10 I-751 filed

04/07/11 GC received

11/1/11 N-400 filed

02/24/12 USC

In Polish only. Sytuacja polityczna w Polsce:

I did send I-130 alone (for different reason) and couple weeks later the I-485 & I-765.

So far so good.

In his situation do not send I-131. It is asking for troubles. He cannot leave the States till you get GC.

And I did all by myself. No lawyers. Just the wonderful people here on the forum and their experience.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the info!

Wow, another Trini :lol:

Yes you can do it by yourself, I mailed everything off without help from a lawyer (adjust while in student status).

You need a lawyer if your case is pretty complicated or if there's a chance you might be accused of immigration fraud in one way or another,

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi All,

Welcome to VJ!

So far so good.

DO NOT SEND FORMS SEPARATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at my signature and you will see how bad I stocked waiting for my I-130 to be approved. I had the same plan in mind as Maad. It is a rare case but trust me you don`t want to accidently stuck in there.

02/14/2008 Valentine`s Day Wedding!

AOS

04/09/2008 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

05/03/2008 call to USCIS because NOA1 not received ;( Got the receipt number and was told that we cannot get replacement NOA1.

08/21/2008 request for NOA1 for I-130 to file AOS placed over the phone and forwarded to VSC. Thanks to the first great Rep at USCIS hotline

10/17/2008 Hubby`s B-day, NOA1 for I-130 finally arrives!

10/21/2008 AOS sent to Chicago lockbox

10/31/2008 NOAs for AOS received

11/06/2008 I-130 is transferred to CSC

11/20/2008 biometrics done

12/02/2008 I-130 APPROVED!!!

01/02/2009 EAD received

02/12/2009 Interview APPROVED!!!

02/17/2009 welcome letter received

02/23/2009 GC received!!! yay!!!

RC

11/18/2010 I-751 Sent to VSC

11/22/2010 NOA1

01/07/2011 Early Bio

01/27/2011 Scheduled Bio

05/11/2011 RC approved

05/17/2011 GC received

Naturalization

11/14/2011 Sent package via Priority to Nebraska SC

11/25/2011 NOA made it

Relocated to NE

04/03/2012 Interview passed!!!

04/10/2012 Oath

04/10/2012 New prints required/done

04/14/2012 Received a welcome packet but still no certificate

04/17/2012 Certificate is here!!!!! Dated 04/16/2012 huh????

Hi All,

Welcome to VJ!

So far so good.

DO NOT SEND FORMS SEPARATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at my signature and you will see how bad I stocked waiting for my I-130 to be approved. I had the same plan in mind as Maad. It is a rare case but trust me you don`t want to accidently stuck in there.

Let me share my experience of working with an attorney... I hired one simply because I already have a professional job, and are generally really busy (I am on H1B - work visa, and my husband is a USC, and we are doing this through marriage instead of employment), so I thought I'd hire a lawyer so I can just let him handle all the paperwork. Well, my expectations were too high. I had to constantly stay on the law office to push my case forward... You may talk to an attorney at the beginning, but usually they hand your case to some law clerk (aka secretaries with no formal education in the field of immigration law), and this is when things become frustrating. These clerks/secretaries, at best, had some experience filing out forms, but they don't know much and won't be able to give you much advice. SO, I'd say if your case is straight forward, save the $$$$ and DIY. This site provides a lot of useful info. Had I know this sooner, I'd totally DIY as opposed to hiring an incompetent law firm to do it for me.

If your case isn't straight-forward, DO YOUR RESEARCH before hiring a lawyer, and especially make sure that this ATTORNEY (not the assistant) is accessible via e-mail/phone, so your case can be handled professionally. DEMAND service, and don't just sit there and wait. Even hiring a lawyer, you gotta be proactive, and make sure they are doing a good job for you.

:dance: :dance:

AOS Timeline:

• Date Filed : 2008-08-28
  • NOA Date : 2008-09-03
  • RFE: 2008-09-19
  • Biometrics Appt. : 2008-09-23
  • RFE Mailed: 2008-10-06
  • RFE Delivered: 2008-10-10
  • Case Processing Resumed: 2008-10-16
  • I-485 TOUCHES: 2008-10-17, 2008-10-20, 2008-10-21
  • EAD Approved: 2008-11-06 (Day 70)
  • AP Approved: 2008-11-06 (Day 70)
  • AP Received: 2008-11-12
  • EAD Received: 2008-11-18
  • AOS GC Interview Letter Received: 2008-11-18
  • AOS GC Interview: 2009-01-12 - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.