know

Help, moving from Canada to the US

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello to all,

Very newbie here, as for the marriage process. Without any fiance stuff, we want to marry in US shortly, then he'll come to move me from Canada back to US, in our home. What it takes for me to move from Canada?as of papers? is my canadian passport enough with the marriage proof, until we get the permanent marriage papers? Should I have to wait in Canada to fill papers, or can we live together there in US and waiting for them? We want to live together in 1 month approx. as I have to find work and participate to pay the bills. All this can give me the termporay GC fast, or how much time it can take?

I might have additional questions as I am completely new at this.

Thank you very much!

Know!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This site is for legal immigration to the US.

You can review the Guides (tab at the top of the page) and the Comparison Chart to see which is the fastest legal method.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You can review the Guides (tab at the top of the page) and the Comparison Chart to see which is the fastest legal method.

Sorry to burst your bubble know... but what you suggest will take from 5 to 12 months to accomplish. I suggest that you take a good look at the guides for this site before you decide on what you want to do...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi ,

Once you marry you can apply for Cr1 and also for K3 simultaneously. I applied for both and it took 5 months for my K3 to go through. Either way you will have to go through a minium wait of 3-6 months before you can legally enter USA after your wedding.

Sorry to burst your bubble know... but what you suggest will take from 5 to 12 months to accomplish. I suggest that you take a good look at the guides for this site before you decide on what you want to do...

meauxna and zyggy: i'm ignorant, and want to be with my hubby. My english is not good, so the guides you suggest me to refere, well i have tried but i'm lost. I have heard that a canadian nurse, married with an american was living in the US with him, without being US citizen. All was very leagel, and, btw, it's a lawyer who gave me this advice, but i did not know the details, like what papers I need to search. I'm hurt by your inuendo, I( if i understood well) sorry guys and I do not accept it. I believe if I'm here, is precisely to know more about the law, the papers, etc...

Hi ,

Once you marry you can apply for Cr1 and also for K3 simultaneously. I applied for both and it took 5 months for my K3 to go through. Either way you will have to go through a minium wait of 3-6 months before you can legally enter USA after your wedding.

Kovil,

Thank you very much, where should I search for Cr1 and what is it? Do you know anything about living with hubby and working and going to school? Is there anything in the Trading stuff between Canada and the US where it's possible to find like a combination of visa-s or forms? Or I believe we have to get a lawyer for your specific situation.

Thank you again! It was much appreciated.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Once you are married, your USC husband will need to file an I-130 along with all the biographical forms to start the process. Once he receives a notice of action, he can file an I-129F along with more biographical forms to request a K-3 visa for you. The K-3 might speed things up a little, though you will still be apart for awhile unless he can stay in Canada with you. The staying in Canada with you can be a problem too though because you need a sponsor who resides in the US whose income is high enough for the affidavit of support. One of the affidavits require 100% of poverty level, the other 125%. Based on your original post I am assuming that you are not in a position financially to self sponsor. I hope this information helps. I would suggest having your husband start reading up on the process and options. You could always apply for a fiance visa and then once you come here for wedding you would not have to leave, but that also takes some time.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Once you are married, your USC husband will need to file an I-130 along with all the biographical forms to start the process. Once he receives a notice of action, he can file an I-129F along with more biographical forms to request a K-3 visa for you. The K-3 might speed things up a little, though you will still be apart for awhile unless he can stay in Canada with you. The staying in Canada with you can be a problem too though because you need a sponsor who resides in the US whose income is high enough for the affidavit of support. One of the affidavits require 100% of poverty level, the other 125%. Based on your original post I am assuming that you are not in a position financially to self sponsor. I hope this information helps. I would suggest having your husband start reading up on the process and options. You could always apply for a fiance visa and then once you come here for wedding you would not have to leave, but that also takes some time.

Oh! yes that is so clear!

Many thanks!

treating this poster as if she is some kind of common criminal is really not the best type of advice to post here --- My husband and I were pretty unsavey to this immigration process as well --- If you read the information on the USCIS website --- it is really easy to get confused --- read the forms too and all of us know this is not cut and dry anywhere --- we are all in the same boat and everyone of us has a different situation based upon where we are from and the circumstances around our journey --- but one thing we all do have in common is that we met and fell madly in love with someone from a different country --- lets help each other here and not assume someone knows what you do now --- she will soon find that this process has to be done legally and if a lawyer told her to just move and set up camp and start from there ---- he was not right in doing... Somehow she got here and as tough as it is to know you have to be away from your loved one for anytime she will likely discover it is not worth trying to find away around this lengthy and costly process --- I would recommend to her to not get married and file the 1-129F because it will be sooner -- to be with her husband --- even though she will have to wait for 30 to 90 days to get a work authorization.

just my put

02/23/05 - Met as Friends

09/29/05 - Married in Victoria BC Canada

11/04/05 - File I-130

11/18/05 - NOA1 I -130

12/08/05 - File 1-129F

12/13/05 - NOA1 I-129F

01/09/06 - APPROVAL I-129F

03/23/06 - I-130 APPROVAL

03/23/06 - K3 interview in Vancouver, Canada

03/23/06 - K3 denied due to CMIT 23 years prior

03/23/06 - i-601 Waiver Submitted

04/07/06 - NOA1 for I-601 Waiver received

10/18/06 - I-601 Approved out of Vermont

11/27/06 - 10:00 appointment at Vancouver Consulate for Visa Stamp

11/27/06 - Arrive home 8.5 hours after crossing the border in Blaine Washington, due to horrible show storm --- we were happy to be home

01/04/07 - AOS sent off

01/10/07 - NOA - 1-485

01/25/07 - RFE for I-824 - used and outdated form

02/14/07 - Get email stating Post Office has Address posted as Vacant from the USCIS

02/16/07 - Hubby gets WA State Drivers Licence

03/05/07 - AOS appointment April 19, 2007 Seattle

04/13/07 - Biometrics Taken for AOS

04/19/07 - AOS interview - Approved pending name check

04/23 - 05/28 - 5 additional appointments with the Seattle USCIS office - to clear up the EAD issue

05/15/07 - 90 Day EAD Arrives

06/10/07 - EAD/Green Card approval letter arrives

06/15/07 - EAD arrives

06/23/07 - 2 year conditional Green Card Arrives

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dam. Give the girl a break. She said she was new to this site. Weren't we all at one time?

No need to be rude to her and throw ####### in her face. :no:

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

I think people just get fustrated waiting in their own process. Some people have been separated from their loved ones for a long time. When someone new gets on here and says "yeah, I'm wanting to move to the US next month" and how can we do it faster, people tend to get a bit annoyed. IF there was a faster way wouldn't we all be doing it now.

treating this poster as if she is some kind of common criminal is really not the best type of advice to post here --- My husband and I were pretty unsavey to this immigration process as well --- If you read the information on the USCIS website --- it is really easy to get confused --- read the forms too and all of us know this is not cut and dry anywhere --- we are all in the same boat and everyone of us has a different situation based upon where we are from and the circumstances around our journey --- but one thing we all do have in common is that we met and fell madly in love with someone from a different country --- lets help each other here and not assume someone knows what you do now --- she will soon find that this process has to be done legally and if a lawyer told her to just move and set up camp and start from there ---- he was not right in doing... Somehow she got here and as tough as it is to know you have to be away from your loved one for anytime she will likely discover it is not worth trying to find away around this lengthy and costly process --- I would recommend to her to not get married and file the 1-129F because it will be sooner -- to be with her husband --- even though she will have to wait for 30 to 90 days to get a work authorization.

just my put

kmansgirl

Thank you so much! I'm still in shock, and I believe it will take a bit of time to digest! Obviously, forums are forums sometime and it must not be a good idea to show a vulnerability, it's very hurtful! I did a mistake !

Dam. Give the girl a break. She said she was new to this site. Weren't we all at one time?

No need to be rude to her and throw ####### in her face. :no:

Pink roses,

That's so sweet!

Thank you!

I think people just get fustrated waiting in their own process. Some people have been separated from their loved ones for a long time. When someone new gets on here and says "yeah, I'm wanting to move to the US next month" and how can we do it faster, people tend to get a bit annoyed. IF there was a faster way wouldn't we all be doing it now.

Neiks,

Thank you also very much for your input; I don't know what is the reason why they are like that, they are the only ones who can say it. I think 1 of them is here for a few years, so I don't know what happened to them and frankly, I am not interested because what they suggested is not true and creates only hurt, especially when I have trusted a lawyer...That really adds to all this... And I might have my good reasons of why I seem so hurried to be with my man.

To all of you who replied with such generosity, I thank you infinetly! Yes, again!

And if I can do something in return, please feel free to contact me.

Know,

Stick with this forum, it is a wealth of knowledge and experience. You are here now so use it as a great resource to get all the information you need to make your decision on what you are going to do. This is not a simple straight forward process and it's not just as easy as falling in love and getting married and moving to another country to be together forever. I encourage research before doing anything, as it will eliminate many heartaches in the future.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to the forum. Can be hard being away from ones spouse, not a fun experience. Lot of good info here, so take your time and do a search. This board has just gone through a major renovation, so it may be a tad more difficult to find the info.

What I did: On a trip to the USA we got married by a justice of the peace, then i left and we started the process. We filed k3 and cr-1. Costs a bit more $$$ but increases ur chances!! The K3 SHOULD be faster, but thats not always the case, and it was not in mine!!

Regarding your Nurse friend, she was probably down on a different type of Work visa, there are mnay types of visas and on Visa Journey the most common type are the K1 (fiance) and the k3 and the cr-1/ir-1) cr-1 married less than 2 yrs, and the ir-1 is married over 2 yrs. Best of luck this thread by cassie has a ton of info: http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.php?showtopic=65374

Best of luck

Scott

As well don't forget you can stil ltravel to see your husband! Its not a gaurenteed thing though as some have been denied entry!! But many do not have any problems. i travelled to DC montly and never had a problem, but that is just my experience. When the POE officer asks questions, answer them honestly, but don't get long winded!! lol Have proof of ties to canada--letter from employer, apartment leasem etc and ensure you have return tickets!! And if you do get denied have a plan!! Don't bring tons of luggage!! best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.